AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Locals don't want the US 1 overpasses near Crystal City torn down  (Read 27663 times)

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: December 22, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
Re: Locals don't want the US 1 overpasses near Crystal City torn down
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »

On the two Pentagon lots south of 395:

I measured on Google Maps, and both lots are about 1500 feet from main Pentagon entrances. About three-tenths of a mile, give or take. Doesn't seem long enough to justify a shuttle. Especially when you consider how big the Pentagon already is. I walked a loop of the place in December 2019, and it's not exactly a short walk round. I'm sure the workers are more than fit enough to stomach that walk!

Could the shuttles perhaps relate to accessibility for handicapped personnel?

Or bad weather, or elderly, or carrying heavy objects, etc.

Honestly, shuttles are a really cheap and easy way to augment parking capacity when you don't have enough land in adjoining areas.

Also, if you ever wait for a bus at the Pentagon, you can see the "shadow" bus system that WHS runs between DOD sites in Northern VA and Downtown DC.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

On the two Pentagon lots south of 395:

I measured on Google Maps, and both lots are about 1500 feet from main Pentagon entrances. About three-tenths of a mile, give or take. Doesn't seem long enough to justify a shuttle. Especially when you consider how big the Pentagon already is. I walked a loop of the place in December 2019, and it's not exactly a short walk round. I'm sure the workers are more than fit enough to stomach that walk!

Could the shuttles perhaps relate to accessibility for handicapped personnel?

Or bad weather, or elderly, or carrying heavy objects, etc.

Honestly, shuttles are a really cheap and easy way to augment parking capacity when you don't have enough land in adjoining areas.

Also, if you ever wait for a bus at the Pentagon, you can see the "shadow" bus system that WHS runs between DOD sites in Northern VA and Downtown DC.

I don't think the parking would be for ADA. There's no ADA parking in those lots.

But sure, yeah, I mean bad weather and other stuff sure. But then the walk between those lots and the primary non-shuttle lots are almost totally covered by the freeway.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2021, 07:11:46 PM »

Speaking of that big five-sided building, a certain someone might be surprised to see just how many people in military uniforms commute to said building on the Metrorail. Plenty of others drive, of course.

The ads directed at the patrons of the Pentagon City Metro station are a sight to see as well (its all military contractors).

As for Crystal City, many years ago I stayed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway in a room that overlooked US-1. If they remove the interchange, there may be queuing issues on I-395 South due to the traffic backing up at the lights. Its already pretty bad with things as they are right now during rush hour.

I did some walking around the area for a bite to eat and I wouldn't say US-1 right now is too pedestrian friendly. Just a ton of traffic, most of which not expecting too many peds crossing the street.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2021, 09:42:07 AM »

It's worth noting that the Hayes St lot has a pedestrian tunnel under 395.  I used it a few times when I bike commuted to the Pentagon.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »

Curious about the huge Pentagon lots.  I expect that senior staff and registered carpools can get spots there.  Given the large number, even a market rate charge is probably not too expensive, and probably a lot cheaper than private lots in Pentagon City or Crystal City.  For even something like $50/month, it is far more convenient to drive than to take public transportation, even if the subsidies make the cost $0.  The Pentagon is probably one of the easiest parts of the area, outside of Downtown DC, to commute by alternate transportation.

If they really want to push more people out of their cars, they can simply close some of the lots and raise the prices.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: December 22, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »

Parking lots *on* government facilities are generally, if not always, free. In fact, I don't even know if the agencies that own the parking lots/garages have the authority to charge for parking if it was warranted.

Note that this does not include private buildings in and around DC which are partially or fully-leased by federal agencies - a not uncommon arrangement.

Your policy recommendation (close the lots and institute a parking fee) wouldn't make it past a first-level review at the Pentagon, let alone Congressional oversight.

The only way I could see surface lots closing is for a replacement with parking garages (i.e. retain or grow the amount of parking spaces, but with less square footage involved).

Because if you close the lots - then what do you do with them? There's already a full transit hub there, so there's no real growth opportunity for mass transit. In theory you could develop the land by selling it off, but I can't see that happening for reasons related to security and the real estate market.

If you're going to get rid of *any* Pentagon-owned lots, it would be the ones on the south side of I-395, along Army-Navy Drive:

1) They're the furthest away and hence least convenient
2) They don't hold too many spots (although they do have parking for motor coaches visiting the 9/11 memorial, and also the Pentagon Reservation shuttle bus fleet)
3) They're the most likely to be possibly developed in the future, along with the Amazon City/National Landing/Bezosville developments.

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:18:01 PM
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2021, 11:34:26 AM »

Livability 22202 has submitted their comments to VDOT. They are unequivocal

there’s no apparent full at-grade configuration that will provide both adequate safety for east-west walking and biking and prevent excessive traffic from diverting onto parallel streets

• Last Login: Today at 07:17:38 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »

prevent excessive traffic from diverting onto parallel streets

Is this a problem? Even if they want traffic off residential streets (I think traffic on residential streets is okay during heavy congestion if it increases capacity), my "no left turn" proposal would put left-turning traffic on the minor collectors, not the residential streets.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »

Here's their slide deck

Notably, the predict that if nothing is done, by 2040 the grade separated intersections will be sufficient to keep traffic moving freely even during the morning rush hour. But at the at grade 23rd street intersection, there will be massive congestion.

One concept they suggest is put left hand ramps on the 15th street interchange, presumably to free up land and to allow simultaneous left turns
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:47:32 AM by kernals12 »

ITB

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:36 AM
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2021, 12:23:46 AM »

Major DC-area developer JBG Smith recently released new renderings of an envisioned National Landing cityscape in Crystal City. One rendering shows US 1 at grade, with the current viaduct completely removed. According to Kai Reynolds, JBG Chief Development Officer, the company views a lowered, at-grade Route 1 as "most critical" to the transformation of National Landing. JBG, the developer of Amazon's new eastern headquarters, controls significant real estate holdings in Crystal City. Their viewpoints and impressions carry significant weight. It appears the push to remake Route 1 into an urban boulevard is gaining steam. The new renderings and accompanying story can be accessed here.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2021, 12:32:03 AM »

Major DC-area developer JBG Smith recently released new renderings of an envisioned National Landing cityscape in Crystal City. One rendering shows US 1 at grade, with the current viaduct completely removed. According to Kai Reynolds, JBG Chief Development Officer, the company views a lowered, at-grade Route 1 as "most critical" to the transformation of National Landing. JBG, the developer of Amazon's new eastern headquarters, controls significant real estate holdings in Crystal City. Their viewpoints and impressions carry significant weight. It appears the push to remake Route 1 into an urban boulevard is gaining steam. The new renderings and accompanying story can be accessed here.
I've crossed Route 1 in Crystal City. An at-grade boulevard is going to be a huge barrier. 1 is best off underground, honestly.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »

Looks like, from one of those renderings, they intend to keep the overpass at 12th. That's a good idea if they want to eliminate the overpasses to the south.

I would be worried about pedestrian safety at the crossings. Assuming Route 1 is busy enough to warrant most of the green time, I would guess left turns from 15th may be fully permissive.

ITB

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:36 AM
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2021, 11:20:50 PM »

Developer JBG Smith has put together a terrific video for investors on its Crystal City holdings and future plans for National Landing. The video can be accessed here. It's definitely worth a watch.

Also, if interested, you can follow the construction of Amazon's new buildings in Crystal City via live webcam here. There are two webcams, one listed under the heading "Metropolitan Park – Phases 6, 7, and 8," the other, "Metropolitan Park – Phases 6, 7 & 8, 9, 10."

Edit: Added info about the webcams
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:09:39 AM by ITB »

kernals12

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2021, 12:10:15 PM »

Ever notice how often it's deep pocketed developers pushing these freeway removals? Screw those commuters; the tenants paying $3000 a month for my luxury apartments can't bear to look at an elevated highway.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 07:12:18 AM
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »

WTOP reports that the left-side exit (the infamous Exit 8C) from southbound I-395 to southbound US-1 may be modified as part of the Crystal City project, but they don't say anything about how. Anybody know?

https://wtop.com/virginia/2023/05/from-elevated-highway-to-urban-boulevard-va-awaits-federal-decision-to-transform-route-1-in-crystal-city/
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:30:39 PM
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2023, 02:22:24 PM »

WTOP reports that the left-side exit (the infamous Exit 8C) from southbound I-395 to southbound US-1 may be modified as part of the Crystal City project, but they don't say anything about how. Anybody know?

https://wtop.com/virginia/2023/05/from-elevated-highway-to-urban-boulevard-va-awaits-federal-decision-to-transform-route-1-in-crystal-city/

The idiots are probably looking at a 25 MPH loop ramp to calm traffic.

1995hoo

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2023, 05:24:45 PM »

The idiots are probably looking at a 25 MPH loop ramp to calm traffic.

I don't think there's room for one. It would impact the Pork Chop area and I have doubts about whether the Pentagon would allow that. Getting rid of that left-side exit would likely reduce the number of crashes, though those are caused by bad driver behavior and not anything in particular about the ramp per se (other than its left-side location combined with right-side entrances a short distance beforehand).

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2023, 10:24:11 PM »

That WTOP article includes a link to the grant submission to USDOT, which removes the bridge on that SB off-ramp and has an at-grade intersection with a triple left turn to SB 1.

A more recent PDF from last week's public meeting shows two SB off-ramps, moving the mainline ramp to the right side (where today's exit to NB 110 is) and adding a separate SB exit from the express lanes.  Both would have at-grade signals with the NB 1/110 lanes.

1995hoo

« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2023, 08:15:55 AM »

A more recent PDF from last week's public meeting shows two SB off-ramps, moving the mainline ramp to the right side (where today's exit to NB 110 is) and adding a separate SB exit from the express lanes.  Both would have at-grade signals with the NB 1/110 lanes.

Thanks for that. Even if I'd seen it yesterday, I doubt I'd have looked at a 52-pager then, but on a slow Friday morning is a little different. I assume the "transverse pavement markings" located near those ramps are to be conceptually similar to rumble strips.

kernals12

« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2023, 02:54:48 PM »

Welp, the Wizards and the Capitals are moving to a stadium on US 1. I think VDOT is going to need to change its plans.

1995hoo

« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2023, 03:02:33 PM »

Welp, the Wizards and the Capitals are moving to a stadium on US 1. I think VDOT is going to need to change its plans.

We'll see whether it really happens. Recall that Gov. Wilder and Jack Kent Cooke announced that the Redskins were going to build a new stadium at Potomac Yard.

kernals12

« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2023, 03:07:10 PM »

We'll see whether it really happens. Recall that Gov. Wilder and Jack Kent Cooke announced that the Redskins were going to build a new stadium at Potomac Yard.

Assuming this does go forward, I think they may need to look into a new exit on the GW Parkway

davewiecking

• Last Login: Today at 05:12:30 AM
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2023, 08:11:09 PM »

On the one hand, this would be no where near the crowd size of a football stadium. But it would be used much more often. I give this better odds than the ‘Skins plan. Arlington residents failed to stop Amazon, but this is just over the border in Alexandria. Only a few hundred feet from a Metro station, but their current home is right on top of the intersection of multiple Metro lines.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.