AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New crossings of the Potomac River between Md. and Va.?  (Read 129053 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: New crossings of the Potomac River between Md. and Va.?
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2019, 07:51:20 PM »

Nope.  Northern VA is worse.
Than the Long Island issues?  Far worse than anything else in the country.  Like I said it is near infeasible to travel to and from there with any regularity, and suburban LI has 3 million population.
Albany and NYSDOT need to work on fixing their own problems and stop pointing fingers at others.
It's like someone that weighs 300 pounds going around calling other people "fatso," "porky," "jelly belly," etc., rather than going to a Weight Watchers meeting and work on themselves.
Albany and NYSDOT aren't pointing fingers.   I am.
However, you feeling ashamed and defensive about that catastrophe of a road is totally understandable. :D
You are the face of Albany and NYSDOT here.

Your ignoring and deflecting about the highway catastrophes of Long Island access, CBX-TME-NET, BQE, and city LIE is totally understandable, based on your posting history.  You should be embarrassed.
Personal attack.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »

Than the Long Island issues?  Far worse than anything else in the country.  Like I said it is near infeasible to travel to and from there with any regularity, and suburban LI has 3 million population.
Albany and NYSDOT need to work on fixing their own problems and stop pointing fingers at others.
It's like someone that weighs 300 pounds going around calling other people "fatso," "porky," "jelly belly," etc., rather than going to a Weight Watchers meeting and work on themselves.
However, you feeling ashamed and defensive about that catastrophe of a road is totally understandable. :D

Your ignoring and deflecting about the highway catastrophes of Long Island access, CBX-TME-NET, BQE, and city LIE is totally understandable, based on your posting history.  You should be embarrassed.
Personal attack.
And a hypocritical one at that.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #277 on: November 19, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »

Long Island is a part of the NYC metro, and road-wise, a dead end part at that.  I-95 between DC and Richmond is a major inter-urban through road and an integral part of the interstate system.  Those Long Island issues are only an issue if you're going to/from Long Island; issues on I-95 between DC and Richmond are felt by everyone traveling between the northeast and south, even those whose trips have nothing to do with either DC or Richmond.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 03:45:57 AM
« Reply #278 on: November 19, 2019, 10:25:01 PM »

OK boomer  :popcorn:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

Is that line supposed to be funny or something? Because it isn't. It just shows a lack of understanding of or willingness to discuss the issues on the part of anyone who uses it.

I'm not a boomer, but I'm getting tired of seeing these attacks on them by people who haven't really accomplished anything in life, and certainly nothing along the lines of what the boomers have done.

I even wrote a column about it.

In defense of the baby boomers

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »

Is that line supposed to be funny or something? Because it isn't. It just shows a lack of understanding of or willingness to discuss the issues on the part of anyone who uses it.

Yes, well, as with all examples of beratement, anyone laughing is laughing at the targeted individual, rather than with. Whether or not it is funny thus depends entirely on which side you more identify or sympathize with.

And yes, it is a dismissive statement which can easily be used to stifle what is otherwise a legitimate discussion. In this case, however, it was made in response to a blatant personal attack. When someone starts making personal attacks, I'd say it is entirely appropriate to be dismissive of them, as they have demonstrated an unwillingness to discuss the matter at hand in a civil manner.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 03:45:57 AM
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »

And yes, it is a dismissive statement which can easily be used to stifle what is otherwise a legitimate discussion. In this case, however, it was made in response to a blatant personal attack. When someone starts making personal attacks, I'd say it is entirely appropriate to be dismissive of them, as they have demonstrated an unwillingness to discuss the matter at hand in a civil manner.

This. It has absolutely nothing to do with the poster in question's age, but everything to do with his attitude. Multiple hypocritical personal attacks in this thread and elsewhere on the forum within the past couple days show they are obviously not in this for civil discussion. Which is EXACTLY what the "ok boomer" response was intended for.

The comment was also made in jest, which I understand is hard to convey via text.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »

it seems to me that the "ok boomer" phrase arose in response to the perceived barrage of media pieces about how "millennials are killing X" or "millennials don't know how to handle Y". it's no more (or less) dismissive of individual experiences than those articles.

disclaimer: i generally fit the definition of "xennials."

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:55:38 AM
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »

I'm not a boomer, but I'm getting tired of seeing these attacks on them by people who haven't really accomplished anything in life, and certainly nothing along the lines of what the boomers have done.

I even wrote a column about it.

In defense of the baby boomers
Psst:  You just played into the joke again.

This isn't the place for a discussion on the sins of the elder generation, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 07:12:18 AM
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »

How about those roads?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »

How about those roads?
This thread died 5 pages ago and you know it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.