AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Maryland and speed cameras  (Read 60766 times)

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:31 PM
Re: Maryland and speed cameras
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »

FYI, it looks like Xerox now uses Ford Escape SUVs for work zone cameras (still white).  Every work zone on the Beltway I passed through yesterday had camera vehicles partially hidden by porta-potties.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »

FYI, it looks like Xerox now uses Ford Escape SUVs for work zone cameras (still white).  Every work zone on the Beltway I passed through yesterday had camera vehicles partially hidden by porta-potties.

They were using Jeeps for those cameras. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: Today at 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Even with speed cameras off, no pedestrians injured in school zones

City officials say Baltimore's speed camera system was designed to protect children walking in school zones. And indeed, no pedestrians were injured in school-zone crashes the last year the cameras operated.

But there also were no pedestrian injuries in school zones the year the extensive camera system was shut down.

According to Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration data, no pedestrians were injured by vehicles in city school zones in 2012 or 2013. In 2012, Baltimore had 83 speed cameras monitoring motorists and generating millions of dollars in revenue. In 2013, Baltimore's speed cameras were turned off for all but about three weeks. They have not been turned on since.

Then just end the program as it (like Chicago's red light camera program) accomplished nothing.

These damnable things should illegal to use nationally.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cpzilliacus

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:25 PM »

WTOP Radio: Man arrested for damaging speed camera van in Howard County

A local man was arrested in Howard County after he shot a BB gun at a speed camera van near an elementary school in December.

Abraham Naveed Quraishi, a 20-year-old Ellicott City resident, has been charged with second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property, according to Howard County Police.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »

Baltimore Sun: City Council report blasts speed camera program

The City Council released a sharply critical assessment Monday of Baltimore's once-lucrative speed camera system, faulting the program's enormous size and lack of oversight.

"Don't build a program if you can't operate it. That message was sent loudly and clearly throughout our investigation," said City Councilman James B. Kraft, who led the probe.

"In hindsight," Kraft said, "virtually everyone agrees the program was too big, the Department of Transportation did not have proper personnel to handle it, and too few people were assigned to its operation."

Despite the concerns, the Rawlings-Blake administration said Monday it still plans to move ahead with a smaller speed camera program – and this week will issue a request for proposals to do the work. Officials pledged better oversight, and said the system will not feature controversial "bounty" payments to vendors based on the number of citations issued.

"We have been clear that a program is needed to improve safety on our roadways, particularly in areas near and around schools where many children are present," said William Johnson, the transportation department director. "The department will now work aggressively to incorporate these reforms and reinstitute a manageable program that is efficient and maintains the trust of Baltimore City residents."

cpzilliacus

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore City seeks bidders for new red light, speed camera program

Baltimore transportation officials on Thursday announced plans to revive a new red light and speed camera system.

The city will release a request for proposals Friday for 10 red light cameras, 10 fixed speed cameras, and ten portable systems. Department of Transportation Director William Johnson said the new program will include multiple safeguards to ensure the integrity of the tickets issued.

This will be the city's third program after two failed attempts that led motorists to receive erroneous tickets. The city's speed camera system, which was run for years by Xerox State & Local Solutions and briefly by Brekford Corp., was shut down in April 2013.

The company selected would be paid a flat rate for each camera, instead of the previous "bounty system," which paid the vendor per citation. Johnson said the city will require a new vendor to provide the equipment, and at least 95 percent accuracy in the tickets issues.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Howard county speed cameras raise record revenue, seen as 'effective' safety tool

Speed cameras in school zones in Howard County reeled in $8.7 million from paid citations and a record $251,000 in revenue last year, according to the Police Department, which hailed the program and red light cameras throughout the county as an effective tool to increase safety.

"It continues to be a model program," said Howard County Police Chief Gary Gardner.

Revenue from the speed camera program has increased sixfold between 2013 and 2015, according to police data. The increase is in part due to the addition of two portable camera units in late 2013; between 2014 and 2015, revenue jumped by 52 percent. The Police Department indicated the two additional cameras and a reduction in the third-party vendor's processing fees resulted in the increase.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »

Wall Street Journal (paywalled - if you cannot see the full article, PM me with an e-mail address and I will send a link to it): Traffic Cameras: Safety Tools or Cash Grabs? = Maryland program shows progress on improving safety, but high rate of repeat offenders undermines the deterrent argument

Are traffic-enforcement cameras the safety tool and deterrent government officials say or are they the money grab that critics contend?

The answer, the numbers suggest, is somewhere in the middle.

Hundreds of cities and states in the U.S. use cameras to combat speeders, red-light runners and toll skippers. To get a glimpse at how automated enforcement has played out in one context, The Wall Street Journal looked to numbers from Maryland, the most aggressive state in employing speed cameras in highway construction zones.

While figures from Maryland’s SafeZones speed-camera program show a reduction in speed through work zones, the $40 citation that accompanies violations hasn’t been enough to slow down an incorrigible group of speeders. Some are willing to pay the fine and put the pedal to the metal because there is no increase in penalties for amassing dozens of citations–and some drivers do exactly that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:44:14 PM by cpzilliacus »

cpzilliacus

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore officials pledge to avoid past mistakes in relaunching speed camera program

Mayor Catherine Pugh is planning to relaunch Baltimore's once-troubled speed and red light camera system as early as June – part of a plan to generate $8 million in revenue and get drivers to slow down.

City lawmakers and a drivers advocacy group welcomed the announcement of a smaller, better-monitored camera system, but said they wanted to make sure whichever company runs the program doesn't issue erroneous tickets as previous vendors did. 

"I have no problems with a speed camera program. I have constituents on some roads who are dying for them to come back," City Councilman Brandon Scott said. "I hope we are awarding it to a company that can operate it in a fair way, where we aren't making the same mistakes as before."

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »

"I have no problems with a speed camera program." City Councilman Brandon Scott said. "The police know my license plate numbers and throw out any pictures involving me or my family"

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: Today at 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »

"I have no problems with a speed camera program." City Councilman Brandon Scott said. "The police know my license plate numbers and throw out any pictures involving me or my family"

And that is why the program should be dumped and made illegal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »

This is off-topic, but I saw a red-light camera in action back in February when I was driving northbound on U.S. 301 through Bowie. A box truck ran a red light and I saw the flashbulb going off from my rearview mirror. I was like "Oooooh, he's in trouble!!!"
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cpzilliacus

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »

WTOP Radio: AAA: College Park speed cameras a boon for private vendor

The primary purpose of speed cameras is to make roads safer, especially in areas with a lot of pedestrian traffic.

And after several deaths involving pedestrians near the University of Maryland, College Park, city leaders in 2014 extended the ticketing time of seven area cameras to 24 hours a day.

Since that move, ticket revenue has more than doubled, according to AAA Mid-Atlantic – and much of the money collected for the citations goes not to the community, but to the for-profit vendors that operate the cameras.

“The vendor is getting nearly 40 percent of every speed camera ticket that is paid. It is one of the most-lucrative speed camera contracts in the state of Maryland,”  said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »

WTOP Radio: AAA: College Park speed cameras a boon for private vendor

The primary purpose of speed cameras is to make roads safer, especially in areas with a lot of pedestrian traffic.

And after several deaths involving pedestrians near the University of Maryland, College Park, city leaders in 2014 extended the ticketing time of seven area cameras to 24 hours a day.

Since that move, ticket revenue has more than doubled, according to AAA Mid-Atlantic — and much of the money collected for the citations goes not to the community, but to the for-profit vendors that operate the cameras.

“The vendor is getting nearly 40 percent of every speed camera ticket that is paid. It is one of the most-lucrative speed camera contracts in the state of Maryland,” said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic.

As usual, there's not one mention of safety.  Did the 24 hour ticketing result in fewer pedestrian deaths?

cpzilliacus

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »

As usual, there's not one mention of safety.  Did the 24 hour ticketing result in fewer pedestrian deaths?

That's a good question. I do not know the answer.  In part because the state (MDOT/SHA) significantly "hardened" the median (with "natural" barriers of trees and landscaping) of U.S. 1 (Baltimore Avenue) in the area where there have been crashes involving motor vehicles and pedestrians - this to force pedestrians to cross U.S. 1 at one of the several signalized intersections there, and to deter or prevent mid-block pedestrian crossings, which are believed to be part of the problem.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:51:46 PM by cpzilliacus »

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »

I was wondering too.  Where the money goes really has no bearing on whether or not they make intersections safer.  In fact, if you oppose the cameras, then wouldn't you be worried if 100% of the money went to government agencies? because, if it did, then it would just be even more incentive to put them up all over the place.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »

I was wondering too.  Where the money goes really has no bearing on whether or not they make intersections safer.  In fact, if you oppose the cameras, then wouldn't you be worried if 100% of the money went to government agencies? because, if it did, then it would just be even more incentive to put them up all over the place.
100% of the money should go toward maintenance of the existing system and, whatever is left over, to community programs and betterment. It should be specifically legislated as such. Any new camera must pay for itself in the same way.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2017, 12:22:37 AM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore speed cameras return under stricter laws

When Baltimore turns on a new set of speed cameras Monday, it will operate under new laws that officials say will make the system more reliable and less prone to errors than an old one that had to be shut down.

The city will operate 10 portable speed cameras near schools throughout the city, the first step in Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh's plan to launch a network that eventually will include 20 speed cameras, 10 red light cameras and a system designed to enforce a prohibition on trucks using certain streets.

Fermion

• Last Login: July 09, 2017, 11:27:14 PM
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 10:22:40 PM »

For what it's worth with respect to the original question, I do think there are in fact cameras on I-81 in MD now. I drove north and back about two weeks ago, and I vaguely remember seeing the "loaded" vehicle in the median. Coming back a few days later I was trying to spot the camera for the southbound lanes but didn't see it. My wife and I were having a pretty deep conversation about the good and bad of Arby's, so I could have just missed it (or maybe it wasn't actually there).

Regardless, I don't think the OP cares anymore... but the experience reminded me of I-95 in MD between Baltimore and DC back in 2010-12 where there was a camera (did find that one) that didn't seem to snap for folks going 5-10 over. Until reading this thread, I hadn't realized the threshold was 12mph over. Had I known that, I wouldn't have spent so much time being passed in the right lane back then.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »

For what it's worth with respect to the original question, I do think there are in fact cameras on I-81 in MD now. I drove north and back about two weeks ago, and I vaguely remember seeing the "loaded" vehicle in the median. Coming back a few days later I was trying to spot the camera for the southbound lanes but didn't see it. My wife and I were having a pretty deep conversation about the good and bad of Arby's, so I could have just missed it (or maybe it wasn't actually there).

Regardless, I don't think the OP cares anymore... but the experience reminded me of I-95 in MD between Baltimore and DC back in 2010-12 where there was a camera (did find that one) that didn't seem to snap for folks going 5-10 over. Until reading this thread, I hadn't realized the threshold was 12mph over. Had I known that, I wouldn't have spent so much time being passed in the right lane back then.

You are correct.  The cameras are being used on 81 for the bridge replacement.  The threshold is 12 MPH, so anything under 67 is OK (still, for calibration reasons, I'd still stay a few MPH under that).

http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Pages/release.aspx?newsId=2848

cpzilliacus

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore red light cameras begin issuing $75 fines

“The trial period for the red-light cameras is over," Mayor Catherine Pugh said Wednesday. "My message to everyone is “Drive slow, drive slow, drive slow.’ "

The eight red-light cameras are at six intersections in Baltimore: Reisterstown Road at Patterson Avenue; East North Avenue at North Howard Street; South Monroe Street at Washington Boulevard; Belair Road at Erdman Avenue; Pulaski Highway at North Point Road; and North Calvert Street at East Baltimore Street.

The new red-light camera system comes after the relaunch of Baltimore’s speed camera system stumbled on its first day, when the program’s vendor accidentally issued a combined $38,480 in duplicate tickets to 962 people.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2017, 09:01:05 PM »

You are correct.  The cameras are being used on 81 for the bridge replacement.  The threshold is 12 MPH, so anything under 67 is OK (still, for calibration reasons, I'd still stay a few MPH under that).

http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Pages/release.aspx?newsId=2848

There's also one set-up on the northbound side of I-95 in Baltimore City about a mile north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel  toll plaza.  That one will presumably be there until the current  construction project to make I-95 at least 4 lanes in both directions from I-895 to the Fort McHenry Tunnel.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore red light cameras begin issuing $75 fines

“The trial period for the red-light cameras is over," Mayor Catherine Pugh said Wednesday. "My message to everyone is “Drive slow, drive slow, drive slow.’ "

The eight red-light cameras are at six intersections in Baltimore: Reisterstown Road at Patterson Avenue; East North Avenue at North Howard Street; South Monroe Street at Washington Boulevard; Belair Road at Erdman Avenue; Pulaski Highway at North Point Road; and North Calvert Street at East Baltimore Street.

The new red-light camera system comes after the relaunch of Baltimore’s speed camera system stumbled on its first day, when the program’s vendor accidentally issued a combined $38,480 in duplicate tickets to 962 people.
Good to know I can keep running the red lights on Pulaski Highway from Moravia into downtown.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »

Good to know I can keep running the red lights on Pulaski Highway from Moravia into downtown.

Shunpiking the tunnels?  Or just headed for MDRoads headquarters?

cpzilliacus

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore to nearly double size of speed and red light camera system

Baltimore officials are expanding the city’s speed and red light camera system – nearly doubling the size of the program as it sends out millions of dollars in fines.

Department of Transportation officials said Friday they are adding 44 cameras across Baltimore to the existing fleet of 56, bringing the total number of traffic cameras in the city to 100. The additions will include 19 speed cameras, 19 red light cameras and six cameras designed to catch large trucks traveling on roads where they are not allowed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.