AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Maryland and speed cameras  (Read 60852 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Re: Maryland and speed cameras
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2018, 12:45:34 AM »

Washington Post: Along Indian Head Highway, pleas for speed cameras to end carnage

I do not think speed cameras are going to solve the problem of fatal and injury crashes on MD-210 (Indian Head Highway).

Why? 

Some of the worst offenders in  the corridor are riders of "sport" motorcycles (a/k/a "crotch rockets") such as the Suzuki Hayabusa.  The riders of these vehicles frequently have the tag obscured so it cannot be read by automated devices, or they have no tag displayed at all.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2018, 11:32:31 PM »

Baltimore Sun: This Baltimore work zone camera caught the most drivers speeding in the past year

Of the five work zone speed cameras scattered throughout the Baltimore area, one caught more drivers speeding during the last year than the four others combined.

A camera on northbound Interstate 95 in a work zone north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel generated the most tickets of five work zone speed cameras in area last year, issuing 142,478 citations between May 2017 and July 2018, according to AAA Mid-Atlantic.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »

Photo enforcement signs are up on I-895 south before the tunnel, in preparation for the bridge rehabilitation.  All the signs are covered up, except for one speed limit sign with Photo Enforced at the bottom (speed limit will remain 50 MPH).

cpzilliacus

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2018, 11:36:22 PM »

Photo enforcement signs are up on I-895 south before the tunnel, in preparation for the bridge rehabilitation.  All the signs are covered up, except for one speed limit sign with Photo Enforced at the bottom (speed limit will remain 50 MPH).

It's bridge replacement (as in the Canton Viaduct north of the north portal of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) and rehabilitation (of both tunnel tubes) on I-895.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »

It's bridge replacement (as in the Canton Viaduct north of the north portal of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) and rehabilitation (of both tunnel tubes) on I-895.

Got it.  What is strange, though, is I noticed a "Photo Enforced" speed limit sign that had been uncovered on I-895 North before the tunnel toll plaza.  However, I don't recall the plans calling for speed enforcement there (not sure where it would go anyway) and there were none of the other warning signs posted (covered or not).  Guess we'll see if it's a mistake or a change in plans.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »

Got it.  What is strange, though, is I noticed a "Photo Enforced" speed limit sign that had been uncovered on I-895 North before the tunnel toll plaza.  However, I don't recall the plans calling for speed enforcement there (not sure where it would go anyway) and there were none of the other warning signs posted (covered or not).  Guess we'll see if it's a mistake or a change in plans.

I sometimes wonder if they just put those signs up more as a threat rather than a promise.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »

I sometimes wonder if they just put those signs up more as a threat rather than a promise.

Maryland is not supposed to have those signs up unless they are running photo radar frequently (but there are times when there's nothing running).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.