AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: District of Columbia  (Read 427975 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: District of Columbia
« Reply #1175 on: March 19, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »

D.C. really have poor ground mounted signage for U.S. 1 and U.S. 50. I had to check up Google Maps to see where they go or if they multiplex together, but god... there is no mention of U.S. 1 or U.S. 50 ground mounted signage almost everywhere.

Only one US route that DC did very well with ground mounted signage is U.S. 29.

What gives?
They sign US 1 well, just not on the correct route!

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #1176 on: March 21, 2021, 07:36:56 AM »

I disagree.  Unless a driver knows the route across D.C. taken by U.S. 29, it is not possible to drive it strictly following the U.S. 29 shields, for many of the turns are not signed at all - as of the last time I field checked it.

Now it is possible that DDOT has finally signed those turns - but I am not exactly confident about that.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #1177 on: March 21, 2021, 08:23:30 AM »

D.C. really have poor ground mounted signage for U.S. 1 and U.S. 50. I had to check up Google Maps to see where they go or if they multiplex together, but god... there is no mention of U.S. 1 or U.S. 50 ground mounted signage almost everywhere.

What gives?

Where is US 1 signed correctly and incorrectly (routewise) in DC?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #1178 on: March 21, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »

I disagree.  Unless a driver knows the route across D.C. taken by U.S. 29, it is not possible to drive it strictly following the U.S. 29 shields, for many of the turns are not signed at all - as of the last time I field checked it.

Now it is possible that DDOT has finally signed those turns - but I am not exactly confident about that.

I clinched it in January 2019, and I can agree with Strider's sentiment.  However, it is easy to be deceived by the turn from 7th St NW to Rhode Island Ave though by turning on R St NW instead.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #1179 on: March 21, 2021, 06:48:36 PM »

What gives?

Where is US 1 signed correctly and incorrectly (routewise) in DC?

ixnay
It is definitely not signed correctly (or at least completely) to and from the tunnels on the south side. Historically, 1 was signed a few different ways to and from 395, and I think only some of that has been corrected.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:31:54 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #1180 on: March 21, 2021, 07:25:19 PM »

If US 1 still runs 14th/Constitution/6th/Rhode Island, I could find zero shields at any of those intersections in GMSV.

US 50 is signed where soon-to-be-renumbered I-395 ends at it and further east.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1181 on: March 22, 2021, 09:47:44 AM »

If US 1 still runs 14th/Constitution/6th/Rhode Island, I could find zero shields at any of those intersections in GMSV.

US 50 is signed where soon-to-be-renumbered I-395 ends at it and further east.

It was once possible to follow U.S. 50 and U.S. 1 across D.C. with the signs. 

Eastbound 50 from Arlington County went T. Roosevelt Bridge to Constitution Avenue, N.W. to a left on 6th Street, N.W.  to a right onto New York Avenue, N.W (and New York Avenue, N.E.) out to the Prince George's County, Maryland border. 

Westbound was mostly a reversal of the above, though U.S. 50 westbound used L Street, N.W. from a point after the I-395 tunnel entrance to a left onto 6th Street, N.W. to a right onto Constitution Avenue, N.W. to the T. Roosevelt Bridge.

U.S. 1 northbound came across the 14th Street Bridge, up lower 14th Street, S.W., then 14th Street, N.W. to a right onto Constitution Avenue, N.W.  Then a left onto 6th Street, N.W., following that to a right onto Rhode Island Avenue, N.W., then Rhode Island Avenue, N.E. out to the Prince George's County, Maryland border. 

Southbound reversed the above, save for heading west on Constitution Avenue, N.W. to a left onto 15th Street, N.W. to Jefferson Drive, S.W. to a right onto 14th Street, S.W.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:53:52 AM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #1183 on: April 01, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »

It looks like maybe DC is finally fixing that hideous maimed BGS on the inbound 14th Street Bridge. (For those unfamiliar: https://goo.gl/maps/Fz7dvedWaVLa7a6B7 )

https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1377619763946471426

https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1377622834378342410
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

plain

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:25 AM
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1186 on: April 02, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »

Washington Post: Capital crossings - Washington is a city of great bridges and
terrible bridges. These are their stories.

I got paywalled

I can send an imperfect PDF copy (this is an interactive article) but need an e-mail address or Facebook name.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »

We drove into DC yesterday to go see the Eisenhower Memorial, mainly just for an excuse to get out of the house and do something. On the way home, we came over Memorial Bridge. Don't have any pictures because it was getting dark, but it's worth passing along that the ramp marked on the map above with "Remove southern exit ramp from Arlington Blvd. to S. Washington Blvd. prior to Hotspot #2" is now closed–blocked off with a jersey barrier. Don't know whether it's been demolished yet, but you now have to go around to the other ramp a little further up the road. As the map above indicates, that's now a two-lane exit; the left lane is left-turn only and the right lane is an option lane allowing a left onto the ramp or a straight-ahead movement towards Rosslyn. The main thing that struck me is that the turn is an extremely sharp left turn. I would be quite wary of going left from the option lane during rush hour, or whenever there's another vehicle in the left lane, simply because the turn is so sharp I would not trust people to stay in their lane. The curve seen on Google Street View there is a far more gentle curve than how it's now configured.

Memorial Bridge, incidentally, is in the best shape I've ever seen it. They did an outstanding job repairing the road surface.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Old Dominionite

• Last Login: January 17, 2024, 11:16:20 PM
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2021, 02:51:30 PM »

WTOP Radio: Could Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park stay closed to cars after the pandemic?

Lots of affluent anti-car attitudes in NW DC. I wouldn't be surprised if this came to pass.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2021, 06:36:37 PM »

WTOP Radio: Could Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park stay closed to cars after the pandemic?

Lots of affluent anti-car attitudes in NW DC. I wouldn't be surprised if this came to pass.

If Beach drive were closed, that would mean more traffic for 16th, Connecticut, Reno, and coiuntless local streets with houses.  That would probably be more irritating for the people in these neighborhoods.

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #1190 on: April 19, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »

If Beach drive were closed, that would mean more traffic for 16th, Connecticut, Reno, and coiuntless local streets with houses.  That would probably be more irritating for the people in these neighborhoods.

I think this was already discussed above, but the National Park Service has already closed the upper portion of Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park for the entire duration of COVID-19.

I used to cycle this section of Rock Creek Park back when my wife worked in Bethesda.  Center Drive on the NIH campus turns into Jones Bridge Road, which takes you down to Jones Mill Road (and that turns into Beach Drive).

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #1191 on: April 20, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »

I think this was already discussed above, but the National Park Service has already closed the upper portion of Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park for the entire duration of COVID-19.

I used to cycle this section of Rock Creek Park back when my wife worked in Bethesda.  Center Drive on the NIH campus turns into Jones Bridge Road, which takes you down to Jones Mill Road (and that turns into Beach Drive).

COVID-19 has certainly reduced traffic, both here and in most parts of the country, but the traffic is slowly coming back.

There are also regular weekend closures of upper Beach drive that have been the case for many years, even prior to the construction.  In a sense, with all the WFH, traffic levels are now basically at weekend levels 7 days a week.  At most, you have mid-day congestion, but no real peak period.  But that will change when the pandemic is over.

I think it will be a mistake to permanently take away a viable commuting option in the area.  When the pandemic ends, Beach drive needs to reopen to cars during weekday rush hours, at minimum.

Old Dominionite

« Reply #1192 on: April 20, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »

COVID-19 has certainly reduced traffic, both here and in most parts of the country, but the traffic is slowly coming back.

There are also regular weekend closures of upper Beach drive that have been the case for many years, even prior to the construction.  In a sense, with all the WFH, traffic levels are now basically at weekend levels 7 days a week.  At most, you have mid-day congestion, but no real peak period.  But that will change when the pandemic is over.

I think it will be a mistake to permanently take away a viable commuting option in the area.  When the pandemic ends, Beach drive needs to reopen to cars during weekday rush hours, at minimum.

I agree with you, and I think it's fair to say that rush-hour congestion levels (at least in NOVA) are getting closer and closer to what they were before COVID.

What many people in this region don't realize (or want to admit) is that D.C. is a really a car-centric city in a car-centric region. Our mass transit system was designed to get workers to and from the downtown core and some major employment centers like Rosslyn, Silver Spring, and Tysons. Our transit system is not designed to encourage significant numbers of people to ditch their automobiles. Permanently closing off arteries like Beach Drive will only make matters worse.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #1193 on: April 20, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »

I did my best to trace US 50 across the District about a week or two ago. Looking at the forum, I got a turn wrong (I followed New York Avenue to 7th Street instead of 6th...why 6th and not 7th, I dunno - I feel 7th is more intuitive. Did nail the turn onto Constitution and the TR Bridge).

What I don't understand is why US 50 isn't signed well in the District - to the west it's Arlington Boulevard, a useful alternative to I-66, and to the east it's a freeway to Annapolis. It'd be helpful to connect the two, and it's not that complex a route compared to US 1 or US 29.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:01:40 PM by noelbotevera »

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #1194 on: April 20, 2021, 05:56:19 PM »

I did my best to trace US 50 across the District about a week or two ago. Looking at the forum, I got a turn wrong (I followed New York Avenue to 7th Street instead of 6th...why 6th and not 7th, I dunno - I feel 7th is more intuitive. Did nail the turn onto Constitution and the TR Bridge).

What I don't understand is why US 50 isn't signed well in the District - to the west it's Arlington Boulevard, a useful alternative to I-66, and to the east it's a freeway to Annapolis. It'd be helpful to connect the two, and it's not that complex a route compared to US 1 or US 29.
It is helpful to connect the two, but you're not supposed to use US 50 to do it. Everyone coming in is supposed to be destined inside the city. That's their thinking, anyway.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1195 on: April 20, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »

NY Ave to 7th puts one into the mess that is Mt. Vernon Square.  6th is also wider than 7th between NY and Constitution.

Old Dominionite

« Reply #1196 on: April 20, 2021, 07:07:26 PM »

I’m not bothered that US 50 isn’t signed well in DC. On both the MD and VA side it serves as a route into or out of the city. It doesn’t serve (nor should it serve) as a route through the city for thru traffic.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #1197 on: April 21, 2021, 12:23:12 AM »

I’m not bothered that US 50 isn’t signed well in DC. On both the MD and VA side it serves as a route into or out of the city. It doesn’t serve (nor should it serve) as a route through the city for thru traffic.
In which case US 50 should be routed around downtown via I-395. Until then, it deserves to be signed.

Old Dominionite

« Reply #1198 on: April 21, 2021, 07:05:47 AM »

In which case US 50 should be routed around downtown via I-395. Until then, it deserves to be signed.

There is no navigational justification to or benefit from signing US 50 through DC; there hasn't been for half a century. The same is true for both US 1 and US 29.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #1199 on: April 21, 2021, 06:15:51 PM »

There is no navigational justification to or benefit from signing US 50 through DC; there hasn't been for half a century. The same is true for both US 1 and US 29.
The justification is that the route exists. If the route is not intended to be followed, it should be rerouted via some route that is signed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.