News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 62 Work (Attn AHTD)

Started by US71, April 15, 2014, 05:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I see US 62 is being widened between Avoca and Garfield. Will it be 5 lanes or 4 lanes? Is there a timetable for the Garfield Bypass?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Yes, this is a five-lane facility estimated to be complete in late 2015.

Environmental work is almost complete for the other project, but it's not in the STIP yet.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

M86

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 05:39:07 PM
Yes, this is a five-lane facility estimated to be complete in late 2015.

Environmental work is almost complete for the other project, but it's not in the STIP yet.

I have read different, at least I thought.

I thought this would be a 4 lane with a median?  What happened to that? 

AHTD

Go to idrivearkansas.com and click on this construction zone.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on April 18, 2014, 12:57:13 AM
Go to idrivearkansas.com and click on this construction zone.

I did.

I thought AHTD had killed the 5 laner, dubbed the "Arkansas Expressway", at least for that project.  That center turn lane is a death trap, and aesthetically just bad.

I remember reading about a painted median through this stretch.  That's why I inquired.

AHTD

The term "painted median" does refer to a five-lane facility, which is much safer than a two-lane road.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on April 18, 2014, 09:11:13 AM
The term "painted median" does refer to a five-lane facility, which is much safer than a two-lane road.

I think I know what's up.  The section will be built with 2 lanes each way, with the "painted median" in parts... and certain sections will be 5 lane, with the two way center turn lane?  Hopefully?

Is there any way you can post documents on what exactly is being built with this section?

I'm curious as to the "painted median" meaning a 5 lane facility.  How does that work?

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on April 18, 2014, 09:11:13 AM

And much less safe than a standard 4 lane divided highway with a proper median.

bjrush

QuoteAnd much less safe than a standard 4 lane divided highway with a proper median.

This times a million. 5 lane roads shouldnt even be called a safety improvement

They are really cheap though!
Woo Pig Sooie

RBBrittain

Quote from: bjrush on April 19, 2014, 01:26:44 PM
QuoteAnd much less safe than a standard 4 lane divided highway with a proper median.

This times a million. 5 lane roads shouldnt even be called a safety improvement

They are really cheap though!
They're still safer than 2-lane roads.  And folks living on the road unquestionably prefer them over (a) having an ugly concrete divider in mid-road that forces them to go the opposite direction and make a U-turn, (b) taking even MORE of their property for a grassy median that would ALSO make them go the wrong way and make a U-turn, or especially (c) send the highway by someone else's property (homeowners may like that but businesses certainly won't; on U.S. 65/82 south of Lake Village it would have also been out of sight of Lake Chicot).

bjrush

How about option A with grass instead of concrete?
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Part of US 65 south of Pine Bluff was built as a 5 lane Arkansas freeway but a jersey barrier was later added.

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 19, 2014, 09:33:46 PM
Part of US 65 south of Pine Bluff was built as a 5 lane Arkansas freeway but a jersey barrier was later added.

And at least one "Divided Highway Ends" graphic sign remains ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: RBBrittain on April 19, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
They're still safer than 2-lane roads.  And folks living on the road unquestionably prefer them over (a) having an ugly concrete divider in mid-road that forces them to go the opposite direction and make a U-turn, (b) taking even MORE of their property for a grassy median that would ALSO make them go the wrong way and make a U-turn, or especially (c) send the highway by someone else's property (homeowners may like that but businesses certainly won't; on U.S. 65/82 south of Lake Village it would have also been out of sight of Lake Chicot).

Of course a 5 lane facility is safer than a 2 lane road.

The portion of US 62 that we are talking about is in a hilly region... A grassy median isn't possible and a concrete median can be variable width.  And I specifically remember reading documents saying a raised median was going to built in this stretch.

Your (b) and (c) comments do not apply here (at least to this thread)...

Access management is a huge thing when it comes to motorist safety.  Arkansas seems to be a bit behind.

AHTD

Don't let the term "painted median" mislead you. Everyone has been down a five-lane road where there exists two lanes in each direction separated by a center lane that is "painted," or "identified" or "designated" by a solid yellow line on each side with a yellow skip line on the inside.

This presents maximum access to the numerous driveways and local roads that are in the area. The higher class highway you build, the more access has to be controlled.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on April 21, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Don't let the term "painted median" mislead you. Everyone has been down a five-lane road where there exists two lanes in each direction separated by a center lane that is "painted," or "identified" or "designated" by a solid yellow line on each side with a yellow skip line on the inside.

This presents maximum access to the numerous driveways and local roads that are in the area. The higher class highway you build, the more access has to be controlled.

Sigh, that's what I thought.  Really, it shouldn't matter the classification.  Access management is a big issue.  Crossover crashes are an issue too...

The sections of road where there isn't a need of left turns into driveways or roads should have a raised median.  It's a safety issue.  Why hasn't a hybrid plan been implemented for this stretch of US 62?  I realize it's too late.

Will the section that diverts to the south of the Pea Ridge Military Park have a 5 lane section?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.