News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

A detail who come to my mind is QC-148 rerouting, it once pass thru the village of St-Hermas as shown in this 1984 and 2000 topographic maps but it was rerouted later to reach QC-158 between Lachute and St-Camut. I wondered why this rerouting?
https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/2704875
https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine/details/52327/2705529

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 24, 2022, 08:27:14 PM
A detail who come to my mind is QC-148 rerouting, it once pass thru the village of St-Hermas as shown in this 1984 and 2000 topographic maps but it was rerouted later to reach QC-158 between Lachute and St-Camut. I wondered why this rerouting?

The R-148 rerouting and reconstruction of the junction in Saint-Hermas occurred most likely around 2008, even though the interchange at A-50 was built 13 years prior to that. I don't know the official rationale behind it, but this is most likely tied to the opening of significant portions of A-50. At that time, Thurso-Grenville was the only remaining gap on A-50, with construction underway to finish the missing link. Here's what seems to justify the realignment:

• The actual routing for R-148 is the shortest between A-640 and A-50. The actual configuration for the junction at Saint-Hermas is likely less prone to accidents, knowing that the volume on the road heading north-west to A-50 is at least twice the volume of the road leading to Saint-Hermas;
  • Before 2008, R-148 was identified as severely dysfunctional by the MTQ for many reasons (crossing of many urban agglomerations without any control of access, no passing options, subpar curves, etc.). Rerouting through traffic on A-50 to avoid Saint-Hermas and Lachute is likely a gain of functionality;
  • Prior to the rerouting, A-50, R-158 and R-148 closely paralleled each other. The rerouting eliminates the corridor redundancy; all in all the MTQ breaks even in network length, but 10 km of the former routing (Saint-Hermas―Lachute road) were declassified from primary to collector in the process.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: webfil on March 27, 2022, 04:02:07 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 24, 2022, 08:27:14 PM

The R-148 rerouting and reconstruction of the junction in Saint-Hermas occurred most likely around 2008, even though the interchange at A-50 was built 13 years prior to that. I don't know the official rationale behind it, but this is most likely tied to the opening of significant portions of A-50. At that time, Thurso-Grenville was the only remaining gap on A-50, with construction underway to finish the missing link. Here's what seems to justify the realignment:

• The actual routing for R-148 is the shortest between A-640 and A-50. The actual configuration for the junction at Saint-Hermas is likely less prone to accidents, knowing that the volume on the road heading north-west to A-50 is at least twice the volume of the road leading to Saint-Hermas;
  • Before 2008, R-148 was identified as severely dysfunctional by the MTQ for many reasons (crossing of many urban agglomerations without any control of access, no passing options, subpar curves, etc.). Rerouting through traffic on A-50 to avoid Saint-Hermas and Lachute is likely a gain of functionality;
  • Prior to the rerouting, A-50, R-158 and R-148 closely paralleled each other. The rerouting eliminates the corridor redundancy; all in all the MTQ breaks even in network length, but 10 km of the former routing (Saint-Hermas―Lachute road) were declassified from primary to collector in the process.

There's one thing I don't really get, though: why haven't they truncated QC 158 to where it now meets QC 148? 158 still ends at old 148 in downtown Lachute via a useless overlap.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

LilianaUwU

According to the Québec 511 app, QC 321 is closed north of Saint-André-Avellin due to the roadway departing (in their words). I can't find any other information currently.
—Mr. Thwomp

Richard3

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 02, 2022, 02:20:57 PM
According to the Québec 511 app, QC 321 is closed north of Saint-André-Avellin due to the roadway departing (in their words). I can't find any other information currently.

As of today (4/3/22 @ 2:50 PM), they now write "preventive measures".  The bridge is open, but both lanes of the bridge are reduced to 3.5 metres.

I don't have any official explanations, but in this time of year, I guess it's maybe because of some flooding, or a surplus of water going down the rivière de la Petite-Nation, causing risk of landslide.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Stephane Dumas

With the passing of former hockey star Guy Lafleur, some people suggest to name A-50 as Autoroute Guy Lafleur.
https://www.fm1047.ca/nouvelles/faits-divers/479656/bientot-une-autoroute-guy-lafleur

LilianaUwU

It seems as though A-20 is closed between exits 177 (R-143) and 181 (Boulevard Foucault) thanks to a road failure.

https://twitter.com/transports_qc/status/1517907695667490816
—Mr. Thwomp

Stephane Dumas

From what I read on that French article the road failure was caused by works on a water pipe who pass under the freeway.
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-04-24/risque-d-affaissement/l-autoroute-20-demeure-fermee-a-drummondville.php

LilianaUwU

A-20/A-55 update: it has reopened in both directions according to MTQ.

https://twitter.com/Transports_Qc/status/1518462930311860225
—Mr. Thwomp

amroad17

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 22, 2022, 07:57:20 PM
With the passing of former hockey star Guy Lafleur, some people suggest to name A-50 as Autoroute Guy Lafleur.
https://www.fm1047.ca/nouvelles/faits-divers/479656/bientot-une-autoroute-guy-lafleur
Maybe A-10 could be used, as that was his sweater number when playing for Montreal.

I remember him being a great player on those excellent Canadiens teams of the mid to late 1970's--I just did not realize how great he was, as well as those teams until I recently researched it.  Six straight seasons of scoring 50 goals and amassing 100 points--the first to do so (sorry, Wayne Gretzky).  Plus, Montreal had the most amazing three year stretch in NHL history from 1975-78 going 58-11-11, 60-8-12, and 59-10-11.  Tack on a 52-17-11 1978-79 season and WOW!!!  Of course, it helps having the best player and the best goaltender in the NHL at the time to win those four championships in a row!

RIP Guy Lafleur!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Richard3

Quote from: amroad17 on May 02, 2022, 01:40:33 AM
Maybe A-10 could be used, as that was his sweater number when playing for Montreal.

I remember him being a great player on those excellent Canadiens teams of the mid to late 1970's--I just did not realize how great he was, as well as those teams until I recently researched it.  Six straight seasons of scoring 50 goals and amassing 100 points--the first to do so (sorry, Wayne Gretzky).  Plus, Montreal had the most amazing three year stretch in NHL history from 1975-78 going 58-11-11, 60-8-12, and 59-10-11.  Tack on a 52-17-11 1978-79 season and WOW!!!  Of course, it helps having the best player and the best goaltender in the NHL at the time to win those four championships in a row!

RIP Guy Lafleur!

The naming of autoroute 50 as Autoroute Guy-Lafleur would be based on the fact of Lafleur being born in Thurso, in Outaouais region, a municipality crossed by A-50. Another request was made many years ago, that time to name A-50 as Autoroute Maurice-Richard, based on the fact that Richard was the first player to score 50 goals in 50 games in the NHL, but the Commission de Toponymie du Québec, at that time, decided to wait the completion of the highway prior to study the request.

On my own opinion, the Commission will probably name the highway to Guy Lafleur, because he is a local personality, as Richard was Montreal-born. The naming would probably be held after the completion of the A-50, supposed to be done within the next 10 years, as said recently by the MTQ.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Richard3

Quote from: Richard3 on February 19, 2022, 08:37:21 PM
Quote from: Chris on February 06, 2022, 04:46:54 PM
I wonder what's so special about this bridge for Québec. Europe is full of them and they do not appear to be problematic. On the other hand Seattle has a major problem with a box girder bridge which isn't very old (1984).

Evidently they plan to add a cable-stayed bridge-like construction to this bridge.

They also did this with a box girder bridge in the Netherlands. This bridge was built in 1970 and reinforced in 2010 with a cable-stayed addition. However it carries a vastly different traffic volume than the one in Québec (184,000 vehicles per day).

This bridge was built in 1978, and is problematic since the beginning. Shortly after its opening to traffic, about a hundred sensors were installed to monitor the bridge 24/7, and some load tests were done every now and then.  It's after some of those tests, done in November 2021, and monitoring reports showing that the bridge deteriorates faster than expected, that the MTQ decided to close the bridge until the repair to be completed, expected by the end of 2022.

Meanwhile, building of the replacement bridge, a bit downstream from the actual one, and planned since June 2020, will start with some tree cutting this year, and the construction of the bridge itself is figured to start on spring of 2023, in order to be completed in 2025.

Here’s an update on the pont des Piles bridge, on A-55, in Shawinigan, QC, as of April 28th, 2022, dixit MTQ (original in French).

• The works are going great, so the MTQ can announce the reopening of the bridge as soon as fall 2022.
    • Building of the towers begun in mid-April, and the acquisition of the cables are going on smoothly, so they can expect a delivery for the next summer.
    • Quebec Transport minister, François Bonnardel, said « Since the beginning of the works, our priority is to reopen the bridge as soon as possible, and we do the best to make it happen. Our teams are giving all they can to assure that the structure will be safe to use ASAP. »
    • Laviolette—Saint-Maurice MNA*, Marie-Louise Tardif, said « It’s always interesting to call good news, and this is a good one. The reopening of the pont des Piles sooner than expected is a very positive news. Let’s hope that everything will continue to be good, and thank you for your patience. »

To sum up,…

• Pont des Piles bridge was closed preventively last February.
    • Two detour routes were put in place; a first one for local trafic (A-55, routes 153 and 157, 125th Street, rang St-Mathieu, then routes 359 and 153), and a second one for transit and heavy vehicles (routes 153 and 359, then A-40).
    • Reinforcement works are actually done in order to take a part of the deck loads by transforming the actual beam bridge to a cable-stayed one.
    • Tree-cutting works will be done in 2022 in order to prepare the construction of the new bridge.
    • Every effort in order to begin building of the new bridge in 2023 will be done.

* MNA stands for "Member of National Assembly".
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

amroad17

Quote from: Richard3 on May 02, 2022, 10:02:52 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on May 02, 2022, 01:40:33 AM

RIP Guy Lafleur!

The naming of autoroute 50 as Autoroute Guy-Lafleur would be based on the fact of Lafleur being born in Thurso, in Outaouais region, a municipality crossed by A-50. Another request was made many years ago, that time to name A-50 as Autoroute Maurice-Richard, based on the fact that Richard was the first player to score 50 goals in 50 games in the NHL, but the Commission de Toponymie du Québec, at that time, decided to wait the completion of the highway prior to study the request.

On my own opinion, the Commission will probably name the highway to Guy Lafleur, because he is a local personality, as Richard was Montreal-born. The naming would probably be held after the completion of the A-50, supposed to be done within the next 10 years, as said recently by the MTQ.
:thumbsup: Thanks for the information on this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

MikeTheActuary

So, my employer had its RTO last week, and I'm now making my first trip in since the start of the pandemic.

I stopped at the 89/133 crossing this afternoon to get a new work permit, and was surprised a few km later to encounter a construction zone.  (Actually, since I was headed to Montréal, I guess construction shouldn't have been much of a surprise.)

Looks like they are reasonably well along with grading for the southern extension of Autoroute 35.  Sadly, I wasn't prepared with a camera; maybe next trip.

Richard3

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 11, 2022, 05:47:31 PM
So, my employer had its RTO last week, and I'm now making my first trip in since the start of the pandemic.

I stopped at the 89/133 crossing this afternoon to get a new work permit, and was surprised a few km later to encounter a construction zone.  (Actually, since I was headed to Montréal, I guess construction shouldn't have been much of a surprise.)

Looks like they are reasonably well along with grading for the southern extension of Autoroute 35.  Sadly, I wasn't prepared with a camera; maybe next trip.

The MTQ website tells that this section of A-35 would be ready by fall 2023. The last section (upgrading the QC-133 between chemin du Moulin and the QC/VT border) is on preparation.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Stephane Dumas

LilianaUwU

Finally, A-55 between A-20 and Pont Laviolette is set to be dualized by 2028.

Article (in French): https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2022/06/23/lautoroute-55-sera-entierement-doublee-en-2028
—Mr. Thwomp

webfil

Elections are a-coming, and that smell is the smell of electoral pavement. Autoroute 70 is to be completed to its eastern terminus in La Baie. Work set to begin last week. Terminus will be located at R-170, west of R-381.

froggie

^ So that's what...MAYBE a 4km extension?

7/8

Quote from: froggie on July 07, 2022, 10:39:35 AM
^ So that's what...MAYBE a 4km extension?

6.9 km, with a completion date of 2028 according to the article.

webfil

I think that 7 km is "heavy pencil pressure" (I don't know if that's a saying in English). The figures probably include the ramps as well as the R-170 relocation; measuring along the OSM path, I get a mere 5 km. And 7 sure looks better than 5 in a swing district.

zzcarp

Quote from: webfil on July 07, 2022, 11:13:43 AM
I think that 7 km is "heavy pencil pressure" (I don't know if that's a saying in English). The figures probably include the ramps as well as the R-170 relocation; measuring along the OSM path, I get a mere 5 km. And 7 sure looks better than 5 in a swing district.

From a link in the article, I found this exhibit which seems to show the proposed improvements. It seems to match that the freeway improvements are about 5km.
So many miles and so many roads

7/8

Quote from: zzcarp on July 07, 2022, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: webfil on July 07, 2022, 11:13:43 AM

From a link in the article, I found this exhibit which seems to show the proposed improvements. It seems to match that the freeway improvements are about 5km.

Here's the above link without the chrome extension (that didn't work for me): https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/projets-infrastructures/reseau-routier/projets-routiers/saguenay-LSJ-chibougamau/Documents/carte-A70-etape4_P2_lots.pdf

Thanks both of you for the info. :thumbsup:

ARMOURERERIC

With the location of the new terminus at 170, does that position them for a future southern bypass of LaBaie?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.