News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: seicer on July 01, 2022, 09:24:03 AM
Which part? The removal of NY 17 signs west of US 220?
My understanding is that NYSDOT is going to apply for federal discretionary grants to get more conversion projects funded.  So, if those grants come through, we may actually see more progress on converting NY 17 to I-86.

Of course, I-81 was shot down for an INFRA grant and I haven't heard of any other grants I-81 has been successful in obtaining, so who knows how the fickle FHWA decides who gets funding and who does not.

So, there's a slim chance there may be more movement in a few years.
Which part of I-81 was shot down?  Syracuse thing or something else?

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on July 01, 2022, 09:55:56 AM
My understanding is that NYSDOT is going to apply for federal discretionary grants to get more conversion projects funded.  So, if those grants come through, we may actually see more progress on converting NY 17 to I-86.

Of course, I-81 was shot down for an INFRA grant and I haven't heard of any other grants I-81 has been successful in obtaining, so who knows how the fickle FHWA decides who gets funding and who does not.

Pfft.  There is no I-81 outside of Syracuse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 11:00:54 AM

As I said, I fully expect viaduct to collapse before something happened.
On a separate note, someone in DC told me that there is no life outside of the beltway...

cockroachking

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

Gotcha - I wish there were project plans posted on NYSDOT's website. I would assume it would be projects that were more easily achievable - excluding the Hale Eddy segment.

cl94

The Exit 122 project is basically a mirror of what was done on the EB side. The stub for the future ramps is there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on July 01, 2022, 05:20:01 PM
Gotcha - I wish there were project plans posted on NYSDOT's website. I would assume it would be projects that were more easily achievable - excluding the Hale Eddy segment.
There aren't going to be plans for projects marked for future development.  By the way, that's a PR term and I am wondering what the real project status is.  Either way, if still considered a program candidate or in development, no work on the project has been done at all (not even scoping or preliminary design).

vdeane

That description for the exit 122 project is kinda hokey.

The work will include moving and replacing the Crystal Run Road over State Route 17 bridge to a location closer to the WallKill River.

They just did that for the first part of the project a decade ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

For Hale Edd
Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 07:31:29 PM
There aren't going to be plans for projects marked for future development.  By the way, that's a PR term and I am wondering what the real project status is.  Either way, if still considered a program candidate or in development, no work on the project has been done at all (not even scoping or preliminary design).

For Hale Eddy? I saw what looked like preliminary plans that showed the preferred alignment generally on the north side of NY 17. I can't find those pages anymore.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on July 01, 2022, 08:24:23 PM
For Hale Edd
Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 07:31:29 PM

For Hale Eddy? I saw what looked like preliminary plans that showed the preferred alignment generally on the north side of NY 17. I can't find those pages anymore.
Not sure if Hale Eddy started before NYSDOT went to Preservation First.  By now, I'd imagine they hit the old 10 year PE rule (which may have been recently repealed, thank goodness).

seicer

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on July 01, 2022, 10:05:10 PM
I'll be damned - it's still up but it's from 2009. What do you mean by the PE rule?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/regional-offices/region9/projects/nys-rte17-hale_eddy-hancock/project-documentation
My word, look at the dates on there.  Lots of crap on the site, it seems.

FHWA had a rule that projects had to progress to ROW acquisition or construction within 10 years of engineering authorization or you had to pay the engineering back.

webny99

To be fair... if the project progresses as planned, there will be no I-81 in Syracuse either.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2022, 10:23:19 PM

To be fair... if the project progresses as planned, there will be no I-81 in Syracuse either.
Sure, there will.  It'll still clip the southeast corner of Syracuse.

TMETSJETSYT

As of 2022, in Western NY, most of the overhead signs on NY-17 or I-86 just say I-86 now, and not NY-17. Personally, I have been traveling on NY-17 for a while now, and I would hate to see it get phased out. My grandpa said when he used to go from CT to western NY, he would travel on 17 (aka the Quickway) and every time he would travel it, there would be a new exit and it would be built further. I think that they should either still keep the 17 signs with the 86 signs, or do something like a historic route 17 because it is the longest state route in NY.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

yakra

If you ever plan to motor west...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

GreenLanternCorps

Will be riding on I-86 today going with my son’s Boy Scout troop to summer camp in the Catskills for this week.  Looks like we will drive all of the officially signed portion of I-86.

Will see if I see anything noteworthy.

Mergingtraffic

Will this sign be replaced before they are allowed to take off the I-86 overlay?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

empirestate

Quote from: TMETSJETSYT on July 08, 2022, 11:28:33 AM
I think that they should either still keep the 17 signs with the 86 signs, or do something like a historic route 17 because it is the longest state route in NY.

You're welcome to join my 20-year-old initiative to Preserve NY 17. :D

Roadgeek Adam

NYSDOT is not a fan of the historic signs. As is the one on US 20 in Alden is an Alden installation.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 09, 2022, 09:25:12 PM
NYSDOT is not a fan of the historic signs. As is the one on US 20 in Alden is an Alden installation.

Yeah, the 20 ones elsewhere in the state have been taken down. I don't know why Region 5 is letting the Alden ones stick around.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TMETSJETSYT

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 09, 2022, 02:38:29 PM
Will be riding on I-86 today going with my son's Boy Scout troop to summer camp in the Catskills for this week.  Looks like we will drive all of the officially signed portion of I-86.
I will be traveling 17-86 from junction with I-390 to Junction with I-84. Ill get pictures of new signage or anything new for I-86.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: cl94 on July 09, 2022, 10:39:22 PM

Yeah, the 20 ones elsewhere in the state have been taken down. I don't know why Region 5 is letting the Alden ones stick around.

I personally find Historic 20 shields on 20 itself a bit stupid. Old alignment of 20? Fine. Current 20? Not so amazing.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 12, 2022, 10:47:28 AM
Quote from: cl94 on July 09, 2022, 10:39:22 PM

I personally find Historic 20 shields on 20 itself a bit stupid. Old alignment of 20? Fine. Current 20? Not so amazing.
ask the person who is responsible who is a forum member and will read this

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.