News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Videos of crash and resulting HAZMAT explosions on Russian highway

Started by cpzilliacus, July 15, 2013, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

This is from the Statter911 site.  The second video (I suggest you scroll down and watch that first) shows the original crash, courtesy of a dashcam.

The first video has the aftermath, including some examples of what not to do at the scene of a crash involving fire and exploding gas cylinders.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

formulanone

Holy crap. Looks like the driver escaped with his life, although it's hard to tell...but a maniac driver of a pressurized gas hauler shouldn't be allowed to drive anything larger than a corn popper ever again.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: formulanone on July 15, 2013, 10:00:08 PM
Holy crap. Looks like the driver escaped with his life, although it's hard to tell...but a maniac driver of a pressurized gas hauler shouldn't be allowed to drive anything larger than a corn popper ever again.

Yeah, I think he did escape with his life - what I presume is the driver ran from drivers' side of the truck and hopped across the Jersey barrier to the (very narrow) left shoulder of the opposing traffic direction.

Of all of the dash-cam captures by Russian drivers that I have seen online, this might be the  most dramatic.  Should be required viewing in the U.S. and Canada for anyone making application for a CDL HAZMAT endorsement.

In addition to (apparently) speeding and not paying full attention to traffic, somebody should be legally responsible for those gas containers not being properly secured in the bed of the truck.

And a final thought - I did not see any HAZMAT placarding on the truck carrying the gas containers.  Maybe those are not required in Russia?

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Chris

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 15, 2013, 10:13:30 PM
And a final thought - I did not see any HAZMAT placarding on the truck carrying the gas containers.  Maybe those are not required in Russia?

He did have the orange ADR label on the back, which should denote the cargo, but it appeared to be empty (no cargo identification number).

It should look like this:

(this one is for gasoline)

However I did not see this one:

But there are a few exemptions for the requirement of ADR labels.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris on July 16, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 15, 2013, 10:13:30 PM

He did have the orange ADR label on the back, which should denote the cargo, but it appeared to be empty (no cargo identification number).

I saw that blank label holder.  I think maybe it should have had U.N. number 1075 (petroleum gas).

It should look like this:

(this one is for gasoline)

However I did not see this one:

That combination is usually not seen on U.S. highway - with one  exception - "shipping container"-sized cargo tanks, which are a tank inside  a frame the same size as a container.

But there are a few exemptions for the requirement of ADR labels.

That was what I looked for at first.

In North America, such a load would probably have placards like this:

Interstatefan78

Saw the video itself and the hazmat truck being passed on its left side and caused the truck to a collision this can't happen in the US or Canada because Hazmat placarded trailers has placards in the sides, rear or in the front. Perhaps Russia should follow US and Canada's example of placards in the sides, and the rear so a collision like this doesn't happen again :D

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Looked like the hazmat truck was changing lanes without looking and smacked the vehicle on its left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.