News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

I think as soon as the environmental update is done they will let the contract. Grants are usually let in a year so I look for sometime in the fall of 2019.

Gordon

MODOT now has a project site (I49 Missouri/Arkansas connector) and says that they are updating Highway plans and environmental in 2019. they will award to contractor in the spring of 2020 and completion date is in 2022. https://www.modot.org/search/project.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Gordon on March 06, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
MODOT now has a project site (I49 Missouri/Arkansas connector) and says that they are updating Highway plans and environmental in 2019. they will award to contractor in the spring of 2020 and completion date is in 2022. https://www.modot.org/search/project.
That link doesn't work for me, but this one does:
https://newstalkkzrg.com/2019/03/06/highway-commission-approves-finances-timeline-for-completion-of-i-49-missouri-arkansas-connector/

mvak36

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 06, 2019, 07:31:52 PM
Quote from: Gordon on March 06, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
That link doesn't work for me, but this one does:
https://newstalkkzrg.com/2019/03/06/highway-commission-approves-finances-timeline-for-completion-of-i-49-missouri-arkansas-connector/
Thank you for finding this. That's great to hear. I can't wait.

More details: https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/i--bypass-slated-for-completion-in-summer/article_fab6bc9a-521a-5dad-add4-125510f2f5f4.html

Project website: https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Henry

This is certainly welcome news! And then after the BVB is fully completed, we can worry about getting Fort Smith and Texarkana connected.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on March 08, 2019, 10:24:46 AM
This is certainly welcome news! And then after the BVB is fully completed, we can worry about getting Fort Smith and Texarkana connected.

Going by what Dick Trammel said at the last ribbon cutting I attended, the 412 Bypass is next after the Bella Vista Bypass.

ARDOT has shown many times that NWA and Central Arkansas are high priorities while everything else is often ignored.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

First there's got to be a connection TO Ft. Smith before they worry much about south of where AR-549 ties into US-71.  Not currently any news on funding sources for the Arkansas River bridge or any of the rest of the Alma to Barling gap.  That's likely to be the next focus after the 412 Bypass projects are done, but that's still a few years time yet as only the middle section is done on that, and I haven't heard that they've identified funding sources for the east and west segments of that one.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2019, 10:32:44 AM

Going by what Dick Trammel said at the last ribbon cutting I attended, the 412 Bypass is next after the Bella Vista Bypass.

ARDOT has shown many times that NWA and Central Arkansas are high priorities while everything else is often ignored.

Up until the last 6 years or so, I wouldn't say that even NWA was a priority for ARDOT, just LR.  Had to grow to a near TOP 100 MSA first and get federal funds and attention before the state paid much attention to this part of the state, other than Hammerschmidt getting I-49/I-540 built back in the 90's.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 08, 2019, 01:50:19 PM

Up until the last 6 years or so, I wouldn't say that even NWA was a priority for ARDOT, just LR.  Had to grow to a near TOP 100 MSA first and get federal funds and attention before the state paid much attention to this part of the state, other than Hammerschmidt getting I-49/I-540 built back in the 90's.

Well, there's Walmart, Tyson and JB HUnt. Hammerschmidt brought home the pork, but 540/49 was envisioned as a favor for the big 3, even though it had been proposed as far back as the 1960's.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on March 09, 2019, 08:03:49 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 08, 2019, 01:50:19 PM

Well, there's Walmart, Tyson and JB HUnt. Hammerschmidt brought home the pork, but 540/49 was envisioned as a favor for the big 3, even though it had been proposed as far back as the 1960's.

It's certainly not "pork" and certainly more than just a favor to the 3 Fortune 500 companies.  US-71 was a deadly highway packed with truck traffic and few ways of overtaking it in the mountains for those of us going to U of A back then and returning home a couple of weekends a month.  Most of the students at U of A aren't actually from NWA, but other parts of Arkansas with a large contingent from Texas as well.  US-71 was so bad, that I would either schedule my trip to go in the dark for less traffic, or take AR-59, which is actually worse, but without the truck traffic that 71 had.  And who can forget the signs south of Mountainburg on old 71 that had the running death count for the road back then.  It may be "Scenic 71" now, but it was just deadly and necessary before the interstate went in.  Once this final section of Bella Vista Bypass is completed, the segment of I-49 from I-40 to I-435/I-470 is complete with the exception of fixing the interchange at Carthage to route around Joplin on 171.  There will be additional traffic choosing I-49 since they don't have to deal with 9 traffic lights in Jane/Bella Vista any longer, which will then focus the need on crossing the Arkansas River at Barling to tie in the next segment.  Whether it's accomplished via perceived "pork" or "favors" to certain companies when only certain segments are focused on, the real benefit is the expansion of the interstate system to better serve the motoring public, and it can't happen soon enough in the Ft. Smith area and south either.  Texarkana is poised to be pressure valve of traffic with I-69/I-369 in about 15 years, and US-71 north of there will become the next deadly stretch of "Scenic 71" with truck traffic.

Gordon

https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector, Missouri's Timline on bidding and letting their part of I-49 connector.Tentative Project SheduleDateMilestoneJanuary24, 20204 weeks before the letting —Lastday for contractors to submit ATCs for review and pre-approval (be advised that contractors cannot re-submit ATCs rejected after this date)February 7, 20202 weeks before the letting —Last day for MoDOTto provide approval or rejection of proposed ATCsFebruary 21, 2020  LettingMarch 4, 2020    AwardApril 3, 2020Early notice to proceed.

mvak36

Quote from: Gordon on September 25, 2019, 10:55:01 PM
https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector, Missouri's Timline on bidding and letting their part of I-49 connector.Tentative Project SheduleDateMilestoneJanuary24, 20204 weeks before the letting —Lastday for contractors to submit ATCs for review and pre-approval (be advised that contractors cannot re-submit ATCs rejected after this date)February 7, 20202 weeks before the letting —Last day for MoDOTto provide approval or rejection of proposed ATCsFebruary 21, 2020  LettingMarch 4, 2020    AwardApril 3, 2020Early notice to proceed.

Thank you for finding this info. I was wondering when they were going to let the project. I'll be interested to see if this ATC process results in cost savings for the project.

I took a screenshot of the tentative schedule so that it's a little easier to read.

The Ghostbuster

So they finally have the money, and a timeline to complete the Bella Vista Bypass in both Arkansas and Missouri (at least as a two-lane highway)?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 26, 2019, 04:33:05 PM
So they finally have the money, and a timeline to complete the Bella Vista Bypass in both Arkansas and Missouri (at least as a two-lane highway)?

To my knowledge, it was be a full Interstate-grade highway. Even now, ARDOT is working on adding additional lanes of the Bella Vista Bypass.

sprjus4

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Typical%20Section.pdf

The proposed design includes two 12 foot lanes in each direction, a 10 foot right paved shoulder, and a 4 foot left paved shoulder, with a concrete barrier dividing the lanes of traffic

The only thing that bugs me on this project is the "left" exit scenario they are creating southbound at the tie-in to the existing road in Missouri.

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Location%20Map%20with%20Aerial.pdf

Nonetheless, glad to finally see this connection completed. If I'm not mistaken, once this is done, I-49 "north" would be fully completed and open between Fort Smith and Kansas City.

The next priority needs to be completing I-49 in Arkansas, between Fort Smith and Texarkana. Once that is finally completed, whenever that is, I-49 will be a continuous corridor between Lafayette and Kansas City (with the exception of Shreveport, though thru traffic can easily bypass that gap via I-220)

mvak36

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 26, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

The proposed design includes two 12 foot lanes in each direction, a 10 foot right paved shoulder, and a 4 foot left paved shoulder, with a concrete barrier dividing the lanes of traffic

The only thing that bugs me on this project is the "left" exit scenario they are creating southbound at the tie-in to the existing road in Missouri.

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Location%20Map%20with%20Aerial.pdf

Nonetheless, glad to finally see this connection completed. If I'm not mistaken, once this is done, I-49 "north" would be fully completed and open between Fort Smith and Kansas City.

The next priority needs to be completing I-49 in Arkansas, between Fort Smith and Texarkana. Once that is finally completed, whenever that is, I-49 will be a continuous corridor between Lafayette and Kansas City (with the exception of Shreveport, though thru traffic can easily bypass that gap via I-220)

The draft plans do show a left exit. While not ideal, I can't imagine it being that bad since it's basically 2 two-lane roads splitting off from each other. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of those around the country.

US71

The "Left Exit" is already there.

wdcrft63

I'm not an engineer, but based on my driving experience "left exits" are OK if (and only if) traffic on the two branches will be moving at the same speed. What's bad is for people to be decelerating for an exit in the high-speed lane of a freeway. Left entrances are a much bigger problem: you really don't want people merging on you from the left.

MikieTimT

Alllllmost.  There's still a gap to be addressed between Alma and Barling, with an expensive bridge across the Arkansas River to find funding for.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 03, 2019, 03:18:27 PM

Alllllmost.  There's still a gap to be addressed between Alma and Barling, with an expensive bridge across the Arkansas River to find funding for.

My guess is Alma-Barling will be complete before downstate....be easier for Walmart trucks to cross the river.

Gordon

ArDOT has 9.7 million for project development in the STIP in 2020 and since the enviromental was updated in the toll study they finished back in spring I would think they would at least build a 2 lane and bridge as the next section for I49.                                                                                                                                                             

sprjus4

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 03, 2019, 03:18:27 PM

When I said Fort Smith, I was referring to where I-49 junctions with I-40. From I-40 north, it'll be completed once the Arkansas - Kansas portion is completed in the next few years.

Revive 755

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 26, 2019, 06:36:00 PM
I'm not an engineer, but based on my driving experience "left exits" are OK if (and only if) traffic on the two branches will be moving at the same speed. What's bad is for people to be decelerating for an exit in the high-speed lane of a freeway. Left entrances are a much bigger problem: you really don't want people merging on you from the left.

I think it varies a bit more on the locality, volume, and type of traffic.  If there are a lot of trucks taking that exit, and it's a place like Chicago with heavy traffic and where the left lane usually has speeds of 80+ (when moving at all), left exits seem to be more of an issue.

In a more ideal world where MoDOT had more funding, the interchange should be built as a trumpet (with a loop for the NB US 71 to SB I-49 movement).  Though I wouldn't rule out MoDOT redoing the interchange at a later date if there are a number of crashes or a proposed development needs the missing movements.

X99

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 03, 2019, 05:34:18 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 26, 2019, 06:36:00 PM

I think it varies a bit more on the locality, volume, and type of traffic.  If there are a lot of trucks taking that exit, and it's a place like Chicago with heavy traffic and where the left lane usually has speeds of 80+ (when moving at all), left exits seem to be more of an issue.

In a more ideal world where MoDOT had more funding, the interchange should be built as a trumpet (with a loop for the NB US 71 to SB I-49 movement).  Though I wouldn't rule out MoDOT redoing the interchange at a later date if there are a number of crashes or a proposed development needs the missing movements.
Couldn't the missing movements be handled by the Road H interchange to the north? The partial loop ramps could be expanded to include a turnaround movement if needed.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Bobby5280

Quote from: sprjus4The next priority needs to be completing I-49 in Arkansas, between Fort Smith and Texarkana. Once that is finally completed, whenever that is, I-49 will be a continuous corridor between Lafayette and Kansas City (with the exception of Shreveport, though thru traffic can easily bypass that gap via I-220)

I'm pretty sure the I-49 Inter City Connector from the current I-49/I-220 interchange down to I-20 in downtown Shreveport will get built and fully completed long before the gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith is finished.

Aside from all the miles of I-49 that has to be built, some of it winding through the Ozarks, between Texarkana and Fort Smith, one irritating gap is the segment cutting through that Red River corner of Texas. The state of Texas will probably drag its feet funding their small yet expensive portion of this route, which includes a share of a Red River bridge crossing. Given all the other road projects on Texas' to do list this I-49 project in the NE corner of the state could be way way down the list of priorities. I figure the ICC in Shreveport and even other significant parts of I-49 South of Lafayette could be completed well before that short segment in Texas is done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.