News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

Good news at last! Long Island's Region-10 has finally started repaving on Southern State Pkwy. in Nassau County at least around Exits 25-27 in the North Bellmore-Wantagh area.

crispy93

In Dutchess County, they're almost done installing a traffic circle on NY 376/CR 104/CR 94 by the airport in Wappinger. I think it's a DCDPW project, not NYSDOT. It's been free-flowing every time I've gone through there. It replaces this mess: https://goo.gl/maps/n4aRhujNEvx1oj1m6

And DCDPW widened the shoulders on CR 28, added two signals for side streets, and added badly needed turn lanes at the CR 28/94 intersection.

Also noticed new signs for Exit 41 (NY 9D) coming off the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. The control city says Wappinger Falls though it's technically WappingerS Falls.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

cl94

Quote from: crispy93 on July 10, 2022, 02:09:57 PM
In Dutchess County, they're almost done installing a traffic circle on NY 376/CR 104/CR 94 by the airport in Wappinger. I think it's a DCDPW project, not NYSDOT. It's been free-flowing every time I've gone through there. It replaces this mess: https://goo.gl/maps/n4aRhujNEvx1oj1m6

It's a NYSDOT project. Saw the contract docs and plans last year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

That was quick. I was there mere weeks ago and there was no sign of a roundabout yet.

QuoteAlso noticed new signs for Exit 41 (NY 9D) coming off the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. The control city says Wappinger Falls though it's technically WappingerS Falls.

Yeah, that gets everyone around here. The town is Wappinger, the village is Wappingers Falls, and the school district (headquartered in neither but in an apparent attempt to refer to both) is Wappingers.

cockroachking

As mentioned by cl94, it was done by NYSDOT. Dutchess County itself has never installed a roudabout, NYSDOT has installed 3 each on NY-55 and NY-376 (now 4), and the City of Poughkeepsie has installed one as well.
And yes, the previous intersection was a mess capitalized by poor signal timing. I went through there last Friday, and while it was functionally a roundabout, there was still some paving and landscaping that needed to be completed.

And DCDPW widened the shoulders on CR 28, added two signals for side streets, and added badly needed turn lanes at the CR 28/94 intersection.
I have mixed feelings about this project. While it is nice to finally have shoulders, they should have taken advantage of the shovels and at least attempted to mitigate the roller coaster of a road it is. I guess they wanted an excuse not to raise the speed limit. Also, I am not overly enamored by the two new signal installations. The new signal at Losee Rd and MacFarlane Rd replaced an offset 4 way (effectively 2 T intersections about 50ft apart), but I think that a roundabout would have been better here IMO. The new signal Spook Hill Rd IMO is useless, other than delaying both CR-28 traffic and Spook Hill Rd traffic, since the cars who would otherwise simply have a stop sign to turn left now have a probable red signal, which probably would end up resulting in a longer wait, especially late at night. They also missed a golden opportunity to convert the CR-28/CR-94 intersection into a roundabout to replace the current signal. At least they added turn lanes...

[/DCDPW Rant]

cu2010

Quote from: empirestate on July 10, 2022, 04:55:03 PM
QuoteAlso noticed new signs for Exit 41 (NY 9D) coming off the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. The control city says Wappinger Falls though it's technically WappingerS Falls.

Yeah, that gets everyone around here. The town is Wappinger, the village is Wappingers Falls, and the school district (headquartered in neither but in an apparent attempt to refer to both) is Wappingers.

If I remember correctly, the original sign coming off the bridge for that exit also said "Wappinger Falls".

EDIT: Looking at Street View to confirm suspicions, yes, the old Exit 11 sign indeed said "Wappinger"...yet the mile-based sign that replaced it is correct. Meaning they replaced a correct sign with a carbon copy of an older incorrect one!

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

ixnay

Don't know if this post belongs on this thread or on the NYC Roads thread, since substantial portions of the road I am about to mention are within as well as outside NYC.  Nor do I know if this issue has been addressed on AARoads in the past.  Anyway...

Why does the Bronx River Parkway tend to become flood prone to the point of closures?  And are there long term plans to make the BRP flood resistant?

cockroachking

Quote from: ixnay on July 19, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
Why does the Bronx River Parkway tend to become flood prone to the point of closures?  And are there long term plans to make the BRP flood resistant?
The most likely reason is due to the fact that the original section, the one that floods the most, was completed directly adjacent to the Bronx River in 1925. Engineering was not the best back then. That would be my guess.

Quote from: ixnay on July 19, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
And are there long term plans to make the BRP flood resistant?
The section in question is maintained by Westchester County, so I would imagine there would be less push from the County DPW to do something than from NYSDOT, which is making an effort in regard to flood mitigation.

Declan127

Was just there today, got confused for a minute because Apple didn't know the circle was there until we were literally going around it (the map showed us driving on grass but correctly identified the traffic circle.

Also saw a VMS on the Taconic by US 6 which (describing roadwork that already ended) called the Sprain/Taconic junction the formers Exit 13. I'm assuming this is an internal number which happened to make it onto the VMS (a second VMS near 9A/100 identifies the start of the work at the Taconic, which is how I surmised the meaning of the first VMS, although it seems the work started closer to 100 than the Taconic), which would mean that the Sprain has mile based exit numbers (although the Taconic is before the nonexistent MP 13, so maybe not).
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

vdeane

^ Assuming this is the one you saw (I just looked up one on 511NY), I read it as saying roadwork to exit 13 on the Taconic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Declan127

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2022, 08:56:18 PM
^ Assuming this is the one you saw (I just looked up one on 511NY), I read it as saying roadwork to exit 13 on the Taconic.

iirc it said something along the lines of "Exit13SBP to RT 100B", but I'm checking 511ny myself now, and ah--- seems you're right. I was confused by the way it said "SBP RT 100B". But oddly enough,saw no remnants of work by 13, only once I got to the Srain.

Declan127

And speaking of VMSs, why does a VMS in Eastern Nassau (5 minutes from Glen Cove Rd) use 108th St as a destination and not the Van Wyck/Grand Central?

crispy93

Quote from: Declan127 on July 24, 2022, 10:20:27 PM
And speaking of VMSs, why does a VMS in Eastern Nassau (5 minutes from Glen Cove Rd) use 108th St as a destination and not the Van Wyck/Grand Central?

Not sure, but "CVE" for "Clearview Expressway" always gets me, it's the same number of characters as 295. But speaking of LI, the western-most mile or so of the Northern State got MINIMUM SPEED 45 signs about 4 years ago. I find this strange since the limit drops to 50 at the Queens border AND the min speeds on LI are on the expressways (27/135/495) and have a 40 MPH min. https://goo.gl/maps/VZ4sasVMvbEsVujU6

crispy93

Quote from: cockroachking on July 14, 2022, 01:26:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about this project. While it is nice to finally have shoulders, they should have taken advantage of the shovels and at least attempted to mitigate the roller coaster of a road it is. I guess they wanted an excuse not to raise the speed limit. Also, I am not overly enamored by the two new signal installations. The new signal at Losee Rd and MacFarlane Rd replaced an offset 4 way (effectively 2 T intersections about 50ft apart), but I think that a roundabout would have been better here IMO. The new signal Spook Hill Rd IMO is useless, other than delaying both CR-28 traffic and Spook Hill Rd traffic, since the cars who would otherwise simply have a stop sign to turn left now have a probable red signal, which probably would end up resulting in a longer wait, especially late at night. They also missed a golden opportunity to convert the CR-28/CR-94 intersection into a roundabout to replace the current signal. At least they added turn lanes...

[/DCDPW Rant]

I wish the sensitivity of the new lights was adjusted. Like if someone makes a right-on-red off of the side street, the signal will immediately stop all traffic on 28 for one car that was going to make it through anyway. And now that there's a turn lane, people pass me using the turn lane when I make a right off of 28.

And the locals had the same complaint about CR 93, they wanted fixes to the road but all the fixes make the road safer and invite higher speeds. Sadly, even road re-design won't trigger a speed limit study, still gotta do the town board > NYSDOT dead end method. Up in Pok, there's a short 30 mph section of US 9 where a crosswalk USED to be. Lost some brain cells trying to explain this to the town board.

Rothman

Quote from: crispy93 on August 02, 2022, 11:10:50 AM
Quote from: cockroachking on July 14, 2022, 01:26:09 AM

[/DCDPW Rant]

I wish the sensitivity of the new lights was adjusted. Like if someone makes a right-on-red off of the side street, the signal will immediately stop all traffic on 28 for one car that was going to make it through anyway. And now that there's a turn lane, people pass me using the turn lane when I make a right off of 28.

And the locals had the same complaint about CR 93, they wanted fixes to the road but all the fixes make the road safer and invite higher speeds. Sadly, even road re-design won't trigger a speed limit study, still gotta do the town board > NYSDOT dead end method. Up in Pok, there's a short 30 mph section of US 9 where a crosswalk USED to be. Lost some brain cells trying to explain this to the town board.
Not sure what's meant by "NYSDOT dead end method," especially since for municipalities to discuss safety studies with NYSDOT's Regional offices is somewhat easy.  The municipalities may not like the answer (e.g., "There is no safety problem at the location."), but just because a safety analysis does not confirm perception doesn't make it a "dead end."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: astralentity on July 08, 2022, 08:35:16 PM
I see Region 9 is going all out with I-88 resurfacing.  Tons of brand new surface in Cobleskill and Schoharie.

Driving on for the first time and clinching I-88 eastbound today, there were lots of PA-style single lane for multiple miles, each separated by a couple-mile-long segments of untouched old pavement at two lanes (I guess the "passing lane"). However, having read/heard about all the old warnings about always staying in the left lane on that road (though plenty of drivers doing that all over NY and on 81 north of Scranton), the right lane didn't seem that bad to me on the older pavement sections.

cl94

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 05, 2022, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: astralentity on July 08, 2022, 08:35:16 PM
I see Region 9 is going all out with I-88 resurfacing.  Tons of brand new surface in Cobleskill and Schoharie.

Driving on for the first time and clinching I-88 eastbound today, there were lots of PA-style single lane for multiple miles, each separated by a couple-mile-long segments of untouched old pavement at two lanes (I guess the "passing lane"). However, having read/heard about all the old warnings about always staying in the left lane on that road (though plenty of drivers doing that all over NY and on 81 north of Scranton), the right lane didn't seem that bad to me on the older pavement sections.

The two sections they're doing first were the worst, particularly the one crossing the Otsego/Schoharie county line. There more than anywhere else was where I hogged the left lane.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

The MTA replaced a one-lane bridge under the LIRR Main Line in Garden City Park, with ANOTHER One Lane Bridge!  :banghead:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/albums/72177720300979436
How stupid can they possibly be?

vdeane

^ That bridge had significant opposition to replacement, with the village refusing to issue a permit to the LIRR due to public opposition to redesigning the roadway.  It went to court where the judge ruled that that roadway redesign was not necessary to replacing the bridge for the third track.

https://theislandnow.com/featured/judge-orders-garden-city-to-grant-permits-for-denton-avenue-bridge-reconstruction/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on August 06, 2022, 11:16:49 AM
^ That bridge had significant opposition to replacement, with the village refusing to issue a permit to the LIRR due to public opposition to redesigning the roadway.  It went to court where the judge ruled that that roadway redesign was not necessary to replacing the bridge for the third track.

https://theislandnow.com/featured/judge-orders-garden-city-to-grant-permits-for-denton-avenue-bridge-reconstruction/
It's still a bad idea. If they wanted to leave it for one lane, they should just keep it only for bikes and pedestrians and such.

In the meantime, Nassau Boulevard should still get that puny section widened to six lanes.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/southern-state-parkway-hov-toll-lanes-could-fund-drastic-improvements-to-notoriously-dangerous-roadway/

A high-occupancy toll lane could be coming to the Southern State Parkway in the Long Island region to fund improvements on a section of road known as "Blood Alley".

SignBridge

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 06, 2022, 12:01:11 PM

It's still a bad idea. If they wanted to leave it for one lane, they should just keep it only for bikes and pedestrians and such.

In the meantime, Nassau Boulevard should still get that puny section widened to six lanes.

We've talked about this one-lane underpass at length on the Railroad.net Forum. Couple of reasons why it was built that way. One is that the affluent Village of Garden City doesn't want to encourage anyone to drive into the idyllic residential neighborhood on their side of the tracks.  Another related reason is the north side is an industrial area and they don't want heavy truck traffic to use this route to/from that area. And even I have to agree it would be a bad thing to have box trucks and semi's driving thru that residential neighborhood.

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on August 06, 2022, 07:58:18 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 06, 2022, 12:01:11 PM

We've talked about this one-lane underpass at length on the Railroad.net Forum. Couple of reasons why it was built that way. One is that the affluent Village of Garden City doesn't want to encourage anyone to drive into the idyllic residential neighborhood on their side of the tracks.  Another related reason is the north side is an industrial area and they don't want heavy truck traffic to use this route to/from that area. And even I have to agree it would be a bad thing to have box trucks and semi's driving thru that residential neighborhood.

The truck traffic is probably easily blunted with rules about no trucks. This is pure NIMBYism and little more.

Bumppoman

Anybody in contact with Region 9?  LOTS (though not all...which is somehow both better AND worse) of brand new NY-11 shields near and around the two new roundabouts at I-81 Exit 5.

seicer

On the west side of Newburgh, there was once an interchange planned with I-84: https://historicaerials.com/location/41.519493815157304/-74.03596940297939/1965/15

What was this exit to be for?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.