2 US Routes 1 City No Connection

Started by roadman65, May 19, 2014, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2014, 09:20:20 PM
If memory serves correct, there is a bridge plaque on NB I-55 at Crump Blvd that says US 78.

That's true, but I am pretty sure it's a mistake by TDOT. US 78 isn't actually signed anywhere on that part of Crump.

Looking at http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Maps/city/Memphis%20DT.PDF, it appears US 78 crosses US 64, 70, and 79 (and SR 1) at the intersection of MLK and Danny Thomas, and continues west to end at the 2nd/3rd couplet, which is State Secondary 14, concurrent with SSR 278. I don't see any US 78 shields on the map on Crump near I-55. (There is a short section of 78 on Crump near I-240/69 however.)

If we're lucky the signage plans for the 55/Crump/Riverside rebuild will clarify things one way or another, but TDOT's signage of state and US highways in Memphis, particularly state secondaries, has always been fairly poor.

golden eagle

US 1 and 441 don't meet in Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood or Miami.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on May 24, 2014, 10:09:10 PM
UNofficially, as traffic cannot legally turn left from eastbound Rhode Island Ave to northbound 7th St NW, northbound US 29 traffic must continue to 6th and Rhode Island NW to turn, so technically US 1 and northbound US 29 (but not southbound) do a "bump".

I have seen that happen elsewhere in D.C., where a numbered U.S. highway makes a left turn, but DDOT or its predecessor agency (DCDPW) puts up a sign to deny the turn (often at the request of a member of the D.C. Council or an Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC)).  I am going to point this error out to one of my DDOT contacts after I have had a chance to go by there and take some current photographs (GSV exactly confirms what you say above).

One similar error that immediately comes to mind is U.S. 1 southbound, which used to make a left turn from westbound Constitution Avenue, N.W. onto southbound 14th Street to head in the direction of the 14th Street Bridge.  The NO LEFT TURN signs were installed, and then the mistake was pointed out to DCDPW (this happened long before DDOT was established), which had to go to a lot of trouble to provide for a (legal) left turn onto 15th Street, N.W. (National Park Service maintenance), including truck traffic.  It was eventually remediated at great expense, and to this day, all U.S. 1 traffic (except taxicabs and buses) must turn at 15th Street, then make a left and then a right to reach 14th Street.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 26, 2014, 12:56:53 AM
Quote from: froggie on May 24, 2014, 10:09:10 PM
UNofficially, as traffic cannot legally turn left from eastbound Rhode Island Ave to northbound 7th St NW, northbound US 29 traffic must continue to 6th and Rhode Island NW to turn, so technically US 1 and northbound US 29 (but not southbound) do a "bump".

I have seen that happen elsewhere in D.C., where a numbered U.S. highway makes a left turn, but DDOT or its predecessor agency (DCDPW) puts up a sign to deny the turn (often at the request of a member of the D.C. Council or an Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC)).  I am going to point this error out to one of my DDOT contacts after I have had a chance to go by there and take some current photographs (GSV exactly confirms what you say above).

One similar error that immediately comes to mind is U.S. 1 southbound, which used to make a left turn from westbound Constitution Avenue, N.W. onto southbound 14th Street to head in the direction of the 14th Street Bridge.  The NO LEFT TURN signs were installed, and then the mistake was pointed out to DCDPW (this happened long before DDOT was established), which had to go to a lot of trouble to provide for a (legal) left turn onto 15th Street, N.W. (National Park Service maintenance), including truck traffic.  It was eventually remediated at great expense, and to this day, all U.S. 1 traffic (except taxicabs and buses) must turn at 15th Street, then make a left and then a right to reach 14th Street.

DC has the most convoluted routings for their US highways.  And poor signage.

How about routing US 50 from the TR Bridge to Indepedence to Maine to I-395 north and then continuing on New York Avenue?

How about routing US 1 from the 14th St Bridge along I-395 north to New York Ave (to M) to N Captiol to Rhode Island?

US 29 is harder.  K Street is terrible.  In Arlington, US 29 becomes the routing for I-66 traffic for those who cannot use I-66 (Non-HOV, trucks etc.).  So have US 29 join I-66 at Rosslyn and then continue along US 50's routing and then following US 1's routing to North Capitol to New Hampshire to Columbia Pike.

My point is that following the US routings would get you stuck in the heart of Downtown DC.  It should be a through routing.

froggie

QuoteMy point is that following the US routings would get you stuck in the heart of Downtown DC.  It should be a through routing.

With the exception of multijurisdictional-295, NOBODY who's sane takes a through routing through DC, regardless of which streets a given route follows.

Could DC clarify/simplify the routings of 1/29/50 through the city?  Sure.  Should it be a priority?  No.

mrsman

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2014, 10:13:15 AM
QuoteMy point is that following the US routings would get you stuck in the heart of Downtown DC.  It should be a through routing.

With the exception of multijurisdictional-295, NOBODY who's sane takes a through routing through DC, regardless of which streets a given route follows.

Could DC clarify/simplify the routings of 1/29/50 through the city?  Sure.  Should it be a priority?  No.

Ordinarily yes.  But now, we also have the I-695 connection that may make for some more useful routings during certain times of the day.  Especially, if you're starting or ending at an inner suburb.

I-695 is a great connector from Virginia (via I-395 or I-66->Independence->Maine->I-395) to 295 towards Baltimore or Annapolis. 

The Beltway isn't always better.  The American Legion Bridge going northbound in the afternoon is probably worse than the Virginia-DC bridges.  The Eastern Beltway is terrible when there is a football game at FedEx Field.

froggie

QuoteThe Eastern Beltway is terrible when there is a football game at FedEx Field.

Which, barring playoffs, only happens 8 times a year.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on June 01, 2014, 08:08:51 PM
.... The Eastern Beltway is terrible when there is a football game at FedEx Field.

In some ways it's worse when there's a non-Redskins event, whether college football, soccer, or a concert, doesn't really matter what. There are always enough people unfamiliar with the venue and the routes to and from it that it messes things up big-time. I remember a few years ago when Paul McCartney took the stage some two hours late simply because so many people were still stuck in traffic on the Beltway.

BTW, froggie says eight times, but the Redskins play at home at least 10 times a year if you count preseason. While those games draw smaller crowds, they have a potential for bigger traffic issues because they're usually on Thursday or Friday nights instead of Sunday afternoons.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: froggie on June 01, 2014, 09:07:23 PM
QuoteThe Eastern Beltway is terrible when there is a football game at FedEx Field.

Which, barring playoffs, only happens 8 times a year.

Fortunately, the Redskins have reached a compromise with the community, in which they no longer reach the playoffs.

Laura

In Baltimore, US 1 and US 40 (as routed) do not touch. US 1 crosses over US 40 in the Franklin-Mulberry Corridor when it is routed onto the former I-170.

However, since the eastbound  I-170 portion is closed, all US 40 traffic is detoured onto W Mulberry Street, which does intersect with US 1.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 20, 2014, 11:32:20 PMAnd US 30 and US 40 both end in Atlantic City blocks apart.

Not to mention 322, which enters overlapped with (and ends with) 40.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.