News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Future plans for the interchange at IH 635 and IH 35E

Started by MaxConcrete, November 02, 2023, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

Public meeting materials were posted today, including the preliminary schematic

https://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/projects/interstate-highways/i635-i35e

While the design could have been more ambitious, I think it is realistic when considering the constraints, especially IH 635 to the east.

Observations

• All existing general-purpose (non-managed lanes) connectors are replaced. This includes the freaky left exit loop connector on IH-35E northbound.
  • Managed lanes structures remain intact with no changes.
  • Both IH 635 and IH 35E frontage roads connect through the interchange. Neither frontage road currently exists through the interchange.
  • The existing left exit from IH-635 westbound to IH-35E southbound is planned to be a traditional right-side exit.
  • On IH-635 west of the interchange, there is unused pavement which is a provision for future westward extension of the managed lanes.
  • IH-35E main lanes stay together - the wide split at the interchange is eliminated
  • Six of the eight connectors have only one lane. I would have liked to see more two-lane connectors, but lane balance problems appear to make the one-lane ramps necessary. Also, I'm not sufficiently familiar with current traffic conditions to say that two lanes are actually needed on all the one-lane ramps.
  • Environmental clearance is scheduled for spring 2026. There's no schedule or cost estimate for construction, but I would be very surprised if construction begins before the 2030s.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

BJ59

Do you think they will make the managed direct connector ramps free while they are demolishing/rebuilding the old free direct connector ramps?

MaxConcrete

Quote from: BJ59 on November 04, 2023, 01:29:11 PM
Do you think they will make the managed direct connector ramps free while they are demolishing/rebuilding the old free direct connector ramps?
The managed lanes are privately owned, so I don't expect them to be toll free. You can see on the schematics that there is very little or no overlap of the existing and planned ramps. So I expect existing ramps to remain open until they are replaced, similar to what is being done at interchange at IH 635 and IH 30.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.