News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AZ 30 ADOT Videos

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 27, 2018, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

ADOT posted some AZ 30 concept videos on their Youtube Channel:

Interesting that ADOT actually captured MC 85 on their design map and used the old school black Loop 303 as their shield graphic.  Someone at ADOT obviously was a fan of the colored shields it seems.

SSR_317

Thanks for posting this thread! Looks like this freeway will be WAY too wide, and the video shows a total lack of any median barrier (a 16-lane freeway with a paved median and NO barrier except at grade separations?). I know this is just a design concept at this point in time, still, what were they thinking?

Oh, and I love how the first video just drops you straight into a cotton field!

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: SSR_317 on June 27, 2018, 01:50:18 PM
Thanks for posting this thread! Looks like this freeway will be WAY too wide, and the video shows a total lack of any median barrier (a 16-lane freeway with a paved median and NO barrier except at grade separations?), but I know this is just a design concept at this point in time, still, what were they thinking?

I was thinking about the same thing!!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 27, 2018, 01:54:00 PM
Thanks for posting this thread! Looks like this freeway will be WAY too wide, and the video shows a total lack of any median barrier (a 16-lane freeway with a paved median and NO barrier except at grade separations?), but I know this is just a design concept at this point in time, still, what were they thinking?

I was thinking about the same thing!!

Really it looks like late 1990s graphic design, not the best look IMO.

Sonic99

This thing being 12+ lanes wide is just insane. None of the 303 has any HOV at all. They'll build it as 3+enter/exit lane just like the rest of it with an open median for future HOV lanes.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

sparker

Thanks for posting this thread! Looks like this freeway will be WAY too wide, and the video shows a total lack of any median barrier (a 16-lane freeway with a paved median and NO barrier except at grade separations?). I know this is just a design concept at this point in time, still, what were they thinking?

Quote from: Sonic99 on June 27, 2018, 11:10:08 PM
This thing being 12+ lanes wide is just insane. None of the 303 has any HOV at all. They'll build it as 3+enter/exit lane just like the rest of it with an open median for future HOV lanes.

Chances are there will be a K-rail down the middle, no matter what these preliminary graphics indicate -- and regardless of whether the thing is fully built out in the initial construction phase.  Did notice that the graphics for 303 south clearly indicate the stub-end for future expansion south to the purported I-11 alignment west of Maricopa.  After decades of eastern expansion around US 60 and loops 101 & 202, the impetus seems, with these plans and the U.C. South mountain 202 extension, to have clearly shifted westward.  It'll certainly be interesting to peruse the 2020 census data to get a preliminary view of any shifts in the regional expansion patterns.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Sonic99 on June 27, 2018, 11:10:08 PM

I could see 5 or 6 lanes per direction near the freeway-to-freeway interchanges. Some sections of freeways in the valley are already designed like that.

compdude787

Yeah, I really don't understand why they're making the freeway so darn wide. It will just overwhelm freeways closer to Phoenix that aren't as wide as this one. And plus, I highly doubt that they're going to have 300K+ vehicles using it like the 401 in Ontario, so no need to make it this wide.

Concrete Bob

If AZ 30 is built east of the 202 and runs to the I-17 Durango Bend, I would be pretty certain that ADOT and Maricopa County would take steps to widen I-17 between both of its interchanges with I-10.  That is the only stretch of I-17 that hasn't been improved or widened since 1985, when Maricopa County passed the sales tax to build their freeways. 

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Concrete Bob on July 04, 2018, 11:31:30 PM
If AZ 30 is built east of the 202 and runs to the I-17 Durango Bend, I would be pretty certain that ADOT and Maricopa County would take steps to widen I-17 between both of its interchanges with I-10.  That is the only stretch of I-17 that hasn't been improved or widened since 1985, when Maricopa County passed the sales tax to build their freeways.

There are plans to widen I-17 regardless of what happens with AZ 30. Most of what might happen in the near future would be between 19th Ave and the I-10 Split.

https://www.azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-17-central-avenue-bridge-replacement-study
https://www.azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-17-near-term-auxiliary-lanes-study
https://www.azdot.gov/projects/central-district-projects/black-canyon-cross-roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.