News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Metro wants to end free rides for clean-air vehicles in toll lanes

Started by cpzilliacus, April 25, 2018, 11:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

L.A. Times: Metro wants to end free rides for clean-air vehicles in toll lanes

QuoteFacing rising congestion in the 110 Freeway and 10 Freeway toll lanes, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Thursday will consider ending free rides for commuters who drive alone in zero-emission vehicles.

QuoteThe proposal could place Metro on a collision course with environmental advocates, who say saving time and money on Los Angeles County's toll lanes is a major reason that Angelenos buy zero-emission cars. Reducing emissions from transportation is critical to meeting the state's air quality and climate goals.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

myosh_tino

Given how congested the HOV lanes are here in the S.F. Bay Area, I kind of wish the perk allowing clean-air vehicles to use the HOV lane be done away with.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

theroadwayone

7 years ago come July, didn't the HOV perk for the yellow sticker end? I think it was people were buying Priuses, Civic Hybrids, etc. just so they could use the carpool lane as a solo driver.

mrsman

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 26, 2018, 03:54:15 PM
7 years ago come July, didn't the HOV perk for the yellow sticker end? I think it was people were buying Priuses, Civic Hybrids, etc. just so they could use the carpool lane as a solo driver.

I believe that's true, but some people were grandfathered in and still get the exemption.

For all the reasons cited, the perk should end completely - even for electric cars like the Chevy Volt because congestion is just too severe.

[A similar thing has happened in Virginia recently.  I-66 connecting Fairfax County with Washington DC used to be restricted to HOV, with certain environmental sticker exceptions during rush hours.   Now with the HOT lanes, the environmental exceptions have ended and anyone who wants to travel on the HOV lanes can pay up (and during morning rush hour it is quite expensive.]

The Ghostbuster

Did the "clean-air" vehicles really need free rides in the toll lanes to begin with? Buses and carpools I can understand, but not electric cars. That seems like favoritism to me.

oscar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 27, 2018, 04:57:33 PM
Did the "clean-air" vehicles really need free rides in the toll lanes to begin with? Buses and carpools I can understand, but not electric cars. That seems like favoritism to me.

Well, there's still favoritism for buses and carpools.

As with the HOV (now HO/T) lanes in northern Virginia, the question is whether you can add certain SOV cars to the lanes without slowing down the buses and carpools. Even after the HOV hybrid exemption was capped (ca. 2007, just before I bought my own hybrid), congestion was increasing to the point where plans were made to tighten the HOV restrictions. The HO/T restrictions left hybrid owners in the lurch, though they did get a break for a decade so it's hard to feel too sorry for them.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

It was definitely done as a way to increase sales of the vehicles, which were otherwise more expensive than other cars of their size and function. 

mrsman

Having read another article about it, there is one point to make clear:

Certain clean fuel vehicles still get an exemption to use the HOV lanes on other LA area freeways.  They are only booted off from the 110 and 10 HOT lanes (but are welcome to participate if they pay the toll).

And this makes sense in terms of a hierarchy:  lanes are reserved for special use.  They should be primarily for high occupancy vehicles.  If there is still space in the lane, LA MTA can allow other specified users to join them so long as they don't degrade efficient operation of the lane and so that the lane does not appear to be empty or unused (which will cause political pressure to open up the lane to all users).  For traditional carpool lanes, the lanes were opened up for use by clean-air vehicles, but the number of users got capped once the traffic in the lane started to slow down.  For HOT lanes they open them up to those willing to pay.  And where dynamic pricing is employed, the computers can set the price of the toll to keep traffic in the lane moving to a set speed (likie 45 MPH).  And then the operator has to make a judgment call, should we also allow clean-air vehicles to also ride for free or discount [which will leave less space and cause the regular toll to rise further], or exclude the clean-air vehicles from special treatment [to keep the toll at a more reasonable level.]

So it seems that LA MTA feels that the pricing structure alone shoud be used to regulate the number of cars in the lane to keep speeds moving at 45 MPH.  Therefore, clean-air vehicles cannot ride these lanes for free.  But in regular carpool lanes, they are welcome since there is space for the capped number of clean air-vehicles.

jakeroot

In Vancouver, the HOV lanes on Hwy 1 were switched not long ago to allow electric vehicles with an appropriate decal. In my experience, the HOV lanes are moderately well used, so at this point no harm done. But if the HOV lanes ever get too busy, they absolutely need to be the first to go. Unlike most buses, electric vehicles don't produce any on-the-spot emissions, so having them stop-and-go in the GP lanes is less harmful than a really slow HOV lane with a bunch of regular gas/diesel vehicles.

WSDOT has never permitted electric vehicles in HOV lanes to my knowledge. Which is good, since many of Seattle's HOV lanes are very heavily used. Having electric vehicles also in them would not help the lane. That being said, the electric vehicle market up here is plenty strong, so I doubt the removal of LA's clean-air HOV allowance will have much effect on the sale of the vehicles down there (especially since there are fewer electric vehicles taxes in CA than in WA).

jrouse

The reason they got in was because the express lanes are converted HOV lanes, and so any vehicle that already qualified to use the HOV lanes was permitted to travel toll-free in the express lanes.  It was only about 4 or 5 years ago that the law was changed to allow them to be tolled.  It was, however, very difficult from a technical standpoint to do so due to the limitations with the FasTrak tolling technology.  With the change to a new technology next year it will be much easier to start tolling them.

jrouse

Quote from: mrsman on April 27, 2018, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 26, 2018, 03:54:15 PM

I believe that's true, but some people were grandfathered in and still get the exemption.

For all the reasons cited, the perk should end completely - even for electric cars like the Chevy Volt because congestion is just too severe.

[A similar thing has happened in Virginia recently.  I-66 connecting Fairfax County with Washington DC used to be restricted to HOV, with certain environmental sticker exceptions during rush hours.   Now with the HOT lanes, the environmental exceptions have ended and anyone who wants to travel on the HOV lanes can pay up (and during morning rush hour it is quite expensive.]

Yes, the yellow decal program ended back in 2011.  There was also a white decal issued to zero emission vehicles and that program continues.  In March, DMV made the decision to stop issuing two different colors of decals and now issue one color for all qualifying vehicles.  That's because both decal programs have the same sunset date whereas in time past they did not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.