News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: quickshade on August 31, 2016, 02:02:36 PM
I think roundabouts get a bad rap. I think if they are done right traffic flows so much better. especial in areas where the side roads have enough traffic to warrant a stop sign but not a traffic signal. Hopefully Illinois uses them a bit more often.

There are good applications for them.  Being stuck in the middle of a rural 55mph highway isn't one of them  :D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

GeekJedi

(Insert picture of a dead horse being beaten)
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

cl94

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 31, 2016, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: quickshade on August 31, 2016, 02:02:36 PM
I think roundabouts get a bad rap. I think if they are done right traffic flows so much better. especial in areas where the side roads have enough traffic to warrant a stop sign but not a traffic signal. Hopefully Illinois uses them a bit more often.

There are good applications for them.  Being stuck in the middle of a rural 55mph highway isn't one of them  :D

*cough* Malta *cough*
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

...and Malta, cough, cough...

Even NYSDOT's Chief Operations Officer some years back thought the five roundabouts in a half-mile was a bad idea and said so publicly at ITS-NY on year.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

spell4yr

I was on I-80 between the Tri-State and I-355 recently, and I assume that the new signs there were fabricated right as the Clearview approval was rescinded. I forget which is which, but it looks odd that the ground-mounted signs are in one font and the overhead signs are in the other.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: spell4yr on September 29, 2016, 06:34:47 PM
I was on I-80 between the Tri-State and I-355 recently, and I assume that the new signs there were fabricated right as the Clearview approval was rescinded. I forget which is which, but it looks odd that the ground-mounted signs are in one font and the overhead signs are in the other.

I noticed some new signs on I-39 yesterday that were like this too!  The fall of Clearview has begun!

spell4yr

Were all the I-39 signs replaced though? Because all the I-80 signs were new even though they were different fonts.

ET21

Quote from: spell4yr on October 04, 2016, 10:29:16 AM
Were all the I-39 signs replaced though? Because all the I-80 signs were new even though they were different fonts.

Not all of them. The ones I noticed were along the I-39/90 corridor and at the I-39/US-20 interchange going northbound.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

This might be an example of a new sign without Clearview.  This is on I-39 northbound.  Obviously only a few new signs are showing the switch back to FHWA (it's not like they're doing a complete overhaul all at once)

I-39-I-88NA.5 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

hobsini2

I know the new signs they put up on Rt 59 at I-88 are back to the old font and not Clearview.
According to streetview, the interchange is still under construction. It finished the big part of it earlier this summer.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tribar

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 05, 2016, 05:55:00 PM
I know the new signs they put up on Rt 59 at I-88 are back to the old font and not Clearview.
According to streetview, the interchange is still under construction. It finished the big part of it earlier this summer.

That interchange is complete.

johndoe780

Quote from: tribar on October 05, 2016, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 05, 2016, 05:55:00 PM

That interchange is complete.

95%. There's still landscaping going on and some "temporary" utility poles that need to be removed.

hobsini2

Yes I am aware. I drive it practically daily.

ET21

East River Road bridge is open to traffic

Clinched:

ILRoad55

The one over the Kennedy? Ah neat, last time I saw they were tearing it down, I don't go over there much anymore.

ET21

Yup, they were doing final Kennedy work at the bridge and beginning on the extra lane going eastbound last night.

Clinched:

johndoe780

Quote from: ET21 on November 04, 2016, 10:44:21 AM
Yup, they were doing final Kennedy work at the bridge and beginning on the extra lane going eastbound last night.

Are they going to rebuild the bridges and repave the entire pavement as well?

Any idea when they're going to start on the west end?

hobsini2

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 04, 2016, 01:36:01 PM
Quote from: ET21 on November 04, 2016, 10:44:21 AM

Are they going to rebuild the bridges and repave the entire pavement as well?

Any idea when they're going to start on the west end?
Long range, I would assume that they will rebuild each bridge over the Kennedy and resurface it. Definitely needs both. As far as a timetable, who knows. Certainly not before they finish the construction on the NW Tollway and the Cumberland interchange.

ILRoad55

ANyone know when the Flyover ramp for the Dan Ryan and Ike is supposed to open? It is coming along pretty well

quickshade

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 12, 2016, 09:38:44 PM
ANyone know when the Flyover ramp for the Dan Ryan and Ike is supposed to open? It is coming along pretty well

End of the year according to IDOT, no firm date given yet.

johndoe780

Is there a reason why IDOT doesn't use LED lights?

It's just odd driving over the 390 flyover with the yellow halogen lights and cross over to ITHSA land where you get bombarded by bright white LED lights.

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 19, 2016, 02:26:05 PM

IDOT's behind the times as usual.  Do I really need to say more?  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2016, 02:29:43 PM

Isn't there some agreement that IDOT has to start transitioning to LED lights for more federal funds?

I imagine there's some grant money for LED lights.

I also thought I read somewhere that IDOT started putting LED lights in starting 2012 or 2013.

quickshade

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 19, 2016, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2016, 02:29:43 PM

Isn't there some agreement that IDOT has to start transitioning to LED lights for more federal funds?

I imagine there's some grant money for LED lights.

I also thought I read somewhere that IDOT started putting LED lights in starting 2012 or 2013.

As of last year, they were still in phase 2 of the design and study of LED lighting. This includes things like retrofit cost, LED lifetime, the next advancement of LED lights and other possible lighting solutions plus maintenance, contractors, light pollution, etc. Basically a whole study on stuff that the tollway could have already told them about (why don't they ever work jointly on these studies) but IDOT felt it best to do on its own.

I'd make the suggestion that some lightbulb changing union see's LED as a loss in their jobs (10-15 year bulbs compared to 2 currently) and they are protesting against it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.