News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 14, 2017, 08:43:20 PM
Older aerial imagery of the Peace Road interchange is it as a half diamond with ramps to/from the east, with the loops being added later for access to/from the west.
Whoops, I was backwards. Yup, see that on Google Earth now. I wasn't zoomed out far enough to get an old enough image before

So throw my theory about toll booths out the window...I'll just go with ISTHA likes Half Interchanges

GeekJedi

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 14, 2017, 08:43:20 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on June 14, 2017, 07:35:06 PM
You are correct. I lived in Dekalb in the mid 90's and Peace Rd. was an EB exit and WB entrance only. I believe the full interchange came to be after there was talk about building a mall near Peace and Fairview Roads, if I remember right.

That's what I meant - I just described it wrong! :-D

Older aerial imagery of the Peace Road interchange is it as a half diamond with ramps to/from the east, with the loops being added later for access to/from the west.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

inkyatari

Got into an argument at work about who's supposed to pick up animal carcasses off of the Illinois interstates.  I contend IDOT, but a co-worker who never admits to being wrong says it's the IDNR.  Who is responsible?

We got into the discussion because I noted that along the I-80 and  I-55 corridor that I drive every day to work there's at least 5 dead deer along the route that have been there for what seems like a month.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on June 15, 2017, 10:17:56 AM
Got into an argument at work about who's supposed to pick up animal carcasses off of the Illinois interstates.  I contend IDOT, but a co-worker who never admits to being wrong says it's the IDNR.  Who is responsible?

We got into the discussion because I noted that along the I-80 and  I-55 corridor that I drive every day to work there's at least 5 dead deer along the route that have been there for what seems like a month.

Beats me.  Off the freeway, it's usually the county or municipal animal control.  As for on the freeway, I always thought it was IDOT.  Leaving them for a long period of time doesn't surprise me with the lack of mowing that they've done this year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Just a demonstration of how bad Chicago drivers really are...

Cook County to stop prosecuting some traffic offenses because it lacks resources, Foxx's office says

QuoteCiting a lack of personnel, the Cook County state's attorney's office plans to stop prosecuting certain traffic offenses, a top county official said.

What's unsaid is that the drivers here are so bad, they just can't keep up.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

And the laughingstock of the 50 states continues its spiral into oblivion...

If Illinois lawmakers don't pass budget, IDOT may stop all roadwork

QuoteIf the crumbling roads across Illinois frustrate drivers now, just imagine what it would be like if the Illinois Department of Transportation stopped all its roadwork projects.

For the first time, IDOT said it could be a reality, if there isn't a new state budget very soon.

IDOT released a statement Wednesday, which said officials hope they don't have to take drastic measures. But IDOT will lose its ability to pay contractors starting July 1.

QuoteRead the full statement below:

"Due to the General Assembly's refusal to pass a balanced budget, the Illinois Department of Transportation loses its ability to pay contractors starting July 1. While we are hopeful the situation is resolved before then, the department is notifying contractors that all construction work is to shut down on June 30. Contractors will be advised to secure work zones to ensure their safety during any potential shutdown. As always, the safety of the traveling public will be the top priority as the department works through this process."

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2017, 02:22:51 PM
Just a demonstration of how bad Chicago drivers really are...

Cook County to stop prosecuting some traffic offenses because it lacks resources, Foxx's office says

QuoteCiting a lack of personnel, the Cook County state's attorney's office plans to stop prosecuting certain traffic offenses, a top county official said.

What's unsaid is that the drivers here are so bad, they just can't keep up.  :-D
they should raise the bar for speeding. Say interstates 20-30 over to get a ticket / 5-10 local roads and 10-15 other main roads.

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2017, 02:26:43 PM

QuoteIf the crumbling roads across Illinois frustrate drivers now, just imagine what it would be like if the Illinois Department of Transportation stopped all its roadwork projects.

For the first time, IDOT said it could be a reality, if there isn't a new state budget very soon.

IDOT released a statement Wednesday, which said officials hope they don't have to take drastic measures. But IDOT will lose its ability to pay contractors starting July 1.

"Due to the General Assembly's refusal to pass a balanced budget, the Illinois Department of Transportation loses its ability to pay contractors starting July 1. While we are hopeful the situation is resolved before then, the department is notifying contractors that all construction work is to shut down on June 30. Contractors will be advised to secure work zones to ensure their safety during any potential shutdown. As always, the safety of the traveling public will be the top priority as the department works through this process."

I'd suggest you leave before things get too out of hand. It's hard, but there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Brandon on June 15, 2017, 02:26:43 PM

:wow: :wow: :wow: :-o :-o :-o

quickshade

Seems like both sides are playing chicken right now. Rauner having a special session and Cullerton saying no stop gap budget and that it's a waste of time because the senate did its job. So comes down to Madigan having to do his job. Next 2 weeks will be interesting.

adt1982

Quote from: inkyatari on June 15, 2017, 10:17:56 AM

I've always seen IDOT pick them up.

Lyon Wonder

A new US 67 bridge across the Illinois River at Beardstown could only be 2 lanes instead of the originally planned 4 lanes.

"The U.S. 67 bridge replacement was initially going to be a four-lane project after a 1995 study identified U.S. 67 as a route that would benefit businesses by being a four-lane expressway. However, initial costs to replace the bridge hovered in the $170 million range, according to IDOT reports, making the bridge project less feasible as time went on."

http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/110756/us-67-bridge-project-draws-closer-to-a-reality

I-39

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on June 18, 2017, 07:35:43 PM
A new US 67 bridge across the Illinois River at Beardstown could only be 2 lanes instead of the originally planned 4 lanes.

"The U.S. 67 bridge replacement was initially going to be a four-lane project after a 1995 study identified U.S. 67 as a route that would benefit businesses by being a four-lane expressway. However, initial costs to replace the bridge hovered in the $170 million range, according to IDOT reports, making the bridge project less feasible as time went on."

http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/110756/us-67-bridge-project-draws-closer-to-a-reality

Honestly, with the state budget crisis, it's a miracle they are even moving forward with the replacement. It's critical that the bridge is replaced now, they can worry about four laning it later. I don't even think traffic really warrants four lanes right now, it's not like that area is booming or anything.

Of course, if they hadn't wasted tons of $$$ on the Illinois 336 corridor, they just might have been able to four lane US 67 between Jacksonville and Macomb by now.

captkirk_4

Quote from: I-39 on June 18, 2017, 08:39:50 PM
Of course, if they hadn't wasted tons of $$$ on the Illinois 336 corridor, they just might have been able to four lane US 67 between Jacksonville and Macomb by now.

I drove that 336 a few years back after going to Silom Springs State Park out there and I really don't see the point of that highway. It doesn't follow a straight line but keeps jogging at 90 degree angles so it doesn't really save any mileage or time. And any US 36 KC bound traffic is going to take the shorter, faster I-55 I-72 over to Hannibal instead of the expensive East West Tollway through Galesburg, etc on non limited access portions that are longer and slower. There is a small issue with the lack of four lanes to McComb and Western Illinois University where my brother went and wow was that ever a torturous drive going there. But then again that school is really in the minor league of the state college system and not very populous. The money may have been better spent making I-55 6 lanes through Central Illinois the way the Springfield to Lincoln stretch already is. Or giving Peoria a shortcut to Chicago by four laneing the modest US 24 stretch from Peoria to Chenoa at I-55 similar to the Decatur to Bloomington 4 lane stretch.

inkyatari

Forgottonia wouldn't stop complaining about the lack of state funds used in the area.

silverback1065

IDOT may have to halt everything come July 1st, do you all think with will happen?

johndoe780

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 20, 2017, 02:11:55 PM
IDOT may have to halt everything come July 1st, do you all think with will happen?

nope. budget will probably be signed before then, albeit with some hootering and some hollering from both sides.

Brandon

Yes, I do.  Even though the governor has been willing to strike a deal, the speaker has been, for lack of a better word, a dick about it.

I-39

Quote from: captkirk_4 on June 20, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

I drove that 336 a few years back after going to Silom Springs State Park out there and I really don't see the point of that highway. It doesn't follow a straight line but keeps jogging at 90 degree angles so it doesn't really save any mileage or time. And any US 36 KC bound traffic is going to take the shorter, faster I-55 I-72 over to Hannibal instead of the expensive East West Tollway through Galesburg, etc on non limited access portions that are longer and slower. There is a small issue with the lack of four lanes to McComb and Western Illinois University where my brother went and wow was that ever a torturous drive going there. But then again that school is really in the minor league of the state college system and not very populous. The money may have been better spent making I-55 6 lanes through Central Illinois the way the Springfield to Lincoln stretch already is. Or giving Peoria a shortcut to Chicago by four laneing the modest US 24 stretch from Peoria to Chenoa at I-55 similar to the Decatur to Bloomington 4 lane stretch.

Illinois 336 should not have been built at all. There is no traffic need for it and it is one of the biggest money waster highway projects in Illinois history. Heck, it would make Wisconsin proud! The only highway improvement needed at all in "Forgottonia" was to build a four lane expressway along US 67 between Monmouth and IL-255 in Godfrey (and even then, some sections do not even seem like they warrant four lanes right now). One could even make an argument that I-72 doesn't even need to be a freeway west of Springfield (instead, they could have just made US 36 an expressway).

inkyatari

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 20, 2017, 02:17:22 PM

nope. budget will probably be signed before then, albeit with some hootering and some hollering from both sides.

It looks like the governor is going to sign the latest budget.

inkyatari

Quote from: I-39 on June 20, 2017, 07:00:18 PM
. One could even make an argument that I-72 doesn't even need to be a freeway west of Springfield (instead, they could have just made US 36 an expressway).

If Missouri would make a continuation of I-72 to KC, it might get a lot busier, but I don't see MoDOT ever doing that, let alone continuing the corridor straight across .

silverback1065

missouri sounds like the most broke DOT, is there a state that's more broke?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 21, 2017, 02:21:57 PM
missouri sounds like the most broke DOT, is there a state that's more broke?
illinois
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Rothman

I'd also wonder about NJ.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

Quote from: captkirk_4 on June 20, 2017, 09:19:06 AMAnd any US 36 KC bound traffic is going to take the shorter, faster I-55 I-72 over to Hannibal instead of the expensive East West Tollway through Galesburg, etc on non limited access portions that are longer and slower.

There is nothing that says someone cannot shunpike via I-80.  I-55 is also starting to become reliable at having congestion due to the section through Springfield, construction, or backups caused by speed enforcement.

As to IL 336 being a waste, I would like to see the traffic forecasts from the EIS (along with the assumptions for those), plus give it a few more years of traffic growth before jumping to that conclusion.  The counts do indicate it is gaining volume, and may have done so faster were it not for the recession.

Quote from: inkyatari on June 21, 2017, 08:50:12 AM
Quote from: I-39 on June 20, 2017, 07:00:18 PM
. One could even make an argument that I-72 doesn't even need to be a freeway west of Springfield (instead, they could have just made US 36 an expressway).

If Missouri would make a continuation of I-72 to KC, it might get a lot busier, but I don't see MoDOT ever doing that, let alone continuing the corridor straight across .

Based on IDOT's counts, traffic has already started increasing on I-72.  There is certainly the traffic potential with the US 36 expressway across Missouri and the worsening conditions on I-70.  Better that it was built right the first time instead of being built similar to US 51 south of Bloomington and in need of unfunded upgrades.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.