News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 22, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
Lake Jackson, Texas has two roads entitled This Way and That Way which intersect in downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0414221,-95.4488474,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

There is also an Any Way.

This Way was already mentioned earlier in this thread:
Quote from: formulanone on July 03, 2019, 07:06:27 PM
At first, I thought this was an extemporaneous way to direct you to Abner Jackson Parkway, but there's actually a "This Way" in Lake Jackson, Texas:

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bing101

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on March 29, 2020, 06:17:47 PM
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/239-S-New-Ave-Monterey-Park-CA-91755/20664573_zpid/
South New Avenue in Monterey Park, CA.

Over 800k for that POS house?  That house is the poster child example of exactly why I refused so many transfers to Los Angeles and the Inland Empire. 

GaryA

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 15, 2020, 10:33:38 PM
No Name Road, Guemes Island, Washington.

There's a "No Name Uno" in Gilroy, CA (also signed as "Noname Uno", no suffix), a frontage road to US 101.  As I understand it, "No Name 1" (and a nearby "No Name 2") were intended to be temporary names, but someone decided to roll with it.  I'm also told it's pronounced "no-nahm-ee".

mapman

Quote from: GaryA on April 09, 2020, 07:04:47 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 15, 2020, 10:33:38 PM
No Name Road, Guemes Island, Washington.

There's a "No Name Uno" in Gilroy, CA (also signed as "Noname Uno", no suffix), a frontage road to US 101.  As I understand it, "No Name 1" (and a nearby "No Name 2") were intended to be temporary names, but someone decided to roll with it.  I'm also told it's pronounced "no-nahm-ee".
Ironically, our community hospital (Saint Louise Regional Hospital) is located on No Name Uno.

Max Rockatansky

jakeroot

Anyone that has watched Trailer Park Boys might find this funny:

Babs Ave; Benton City, WA

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KCRoadFan

Quote from: 20160805 on November 11, 2016, 06:53:41 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on November 09, 2016, 02:27:07 AM
Jacksonville FL has a Retaw St along the Cedar River.. Not particularly funny just water backwards

LGMS428

Neenah, WI has a Retlaw Drive (Walter backwards).

National City, CA (a suburb of San Diego) has Lanoitan Avenue (which is "National" spelled backwards).

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

This has to be the skinniest "Broadway" I have ever seen...

https://goo.gl/maps/sZWzyduf153Su7BQ7
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

It's because a bunch of broads used to live there.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

It's also in "Future City". So maybe someday it will be broad? Someday...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Am I the only one to find "Broadway Street" to be a little redundant?

kphoger

I'm assuming it's more common than the non-redundant version.
Male pronouns, please.

I-55

Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2020, 05:07:46 PM

At least Seattle has the decency to have Broadway and Broad St.

The one that was always causing an argument when Google Mapmaker was a thing, was East Harbor Road.  It isn't E Harbor Rd., it is literally the road that is on the East Side of the Harbor.  Same for North Bluff Rd., not N Bluff Rd (under the old system we had it was actually S North Bluff Rd.), because it runs along the bluff at the north side of the same harbor.

And that always reminds me of South St. in Southern Detroit.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

I-55

Quote from: kphoger on September 03, 2020, 02:54:56 PM
Quote from: I-55 on September 03, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1410572,-82.7232237,3a,15y,346.94h,87.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDbKBxR62kpjOHuE07-TiwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What's the '70' for?

(As for the name, it's a road in Savageville...)

Pretty sure it's the county road number. It's just another one of those Ohio things, a lot of county roads have names and numbers on the sign, but I remember when that Savageville School Rd sign didn't have a number, that sign is at most 2 years old.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 03, 2020, 03:17:48 PM
The one that was always causing an argument when Google Mapmaker was a thing, was East Harbor Road.  It isn't E Harbor Rd., it is literally the road that is on the East Side of the Harbor.  Same for North Bluff Rd., not N Bluff Rd (under the old system we had it was actually S North Bluff Rd.), because it runs along the bluff at the north side of the same harbor.

Great nearby example is down in Tacoma: South Tacoma Way is not "S Tacoma Way". The neighborhood is "South Tacoma" and it's a 'way' that runs through it.

Still, many signs originally said "SO TACOMA WAY". It's not like there was ever a "NO TACOMA WAY" or "E TACOMA WAY". New signs now read "South Tacoma Way".

CNGL-Leudimin

In that vein, I bring back the Calles "Ote." and "Pte." in Ariza, Mexico Spain. Of course, the street signs spell "Oriente" and "Poniente" in full.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 03, 2020, 05:53:21 PM
In that vein, I bring back the Calles "Ote." and "Pte." in Ariza, Mexico Spain. Of course, the street signs spell "Oriente" and "Poniente" in full.

For non-hispanophones...  This is the equivalent of "West St" and "East St" being rendered as "W Street" and "E Street" instead.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

I always chuckle a little when I go under this overpass on the PA Turnpike.

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2020, 05:07:46 PM
Yes, in the same way that I find "Street Road" redundant  :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Google Maps is turning up five instances of [Camino Street] in the USA:  Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan, Texas.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:42:43 AM
Google Maps is turning up five instances of [Camino Street] in the USA:  Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan, Texas.

All the while nobody in Santa Clarita seems to get that "The Old Road"  is also likely a cheeky reference to "El Camino Viejo."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.