News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPAGal

It appears that the PTC is preparing to replace a mainline bridge over a rail line at about MM238, between US 15 and I-83. It's nothing major, but it's something. They did something similar last year just east of I-81 at Carlisle.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Gnutella

Here's some pitchers of a widening project from MM 40 to MM 48 (Pittsburgh area) that will wrap up later this year. The Turnpike Commission better have a blueprint ready for reconstruction and widening through Exit 39, because the Turnpike is about to be six lanes on both sides of the interchange.

Why the FOCK has reconstruction slowed down so much? It was going at a brisk pace for a while, but it's slowed way down in the last year or so.

Gnutella

Here's some bridge replacement projects in western Pennsylvania (with photo galleries):

Near MM 28 (Butler County)

Near MM 60 (Westmoreland County)

Near MM 110 (Somerset County)

:wave:

PAHighways

QuoteWhy the FOCK has reconstruction slowed down so much? It was going at a brisk pace for a while, but it's slowed way down in the last year or so.

They are running out of money.  The PTC is behind in their Act 44 payments to PennDOT as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PAHighways on April 30, 2019, 07:14:14 AM
QuoteWhy the FOCK has reconstruction slowed down so much? It was going at a brisk pace for a while, but it's slowed way down in the last year or so.

They are running out of money.  The PTC is behind in their Act 44 payments to PennDOT as well.

Probably need to look at construction schedules and such.  Are you referring to one project's timing, or all construction in general?

briantroutman

Quote from: PAHighways on April 30, 2019, 07:14:14 AM

Some of the news stories that I read (which generally focused on the missed Act 44/89 payments) suggested that the PTC is not in any worse position financially but just hoarding cash–because of the cloud of uncertainty surrounding the outcome of the ATA/OOIDA class action lawsuits. The truckers' suit was dismissed in early April but is currently being appealed. Assuming the appeal is also tossed out in the next month or so, I'd think the money would start flowing again shortly thereafter.

Gnutella

Act 44 should be repealed with extreme prejudice.

ARMOURERERIC

Is the Freedom Road Bridge project under way?

CentralPAGal

Quote from: Gnutella on May 04, 2019, 08:39:55 AM
Act 44 should be repealed with extreme prejudice.

Yeah, but then PennDOT has to pick up the slack on the mass transit from its own funds, and that takes away from other projects they could/should be focusing on. They're finally starting to get to many of the major highway projects (I-81 widening notwithstanding) and bridge repairs that had been postponed indefinitely, and effectively diverting more of their funds to deal with mass transit that the big cities themselves should be promoting and paying for, will screw them. Plus, they already got the state police (unconstitutionally) siphoning off $200 million annually from the highway fund.

That said, the PTC is not in the best financial position. Short of a major federal highway bill (and gas tax increase?), which will not happen in the current political environment, there's no easy answer to this mess.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 04, 2019, 09:29:06 AM

According to the website (who knows when that was last updated), the design phase started in 2014 - so in a sense, it is.

And while they're website isn't well maintained with new information, it seems like they're doing utility relocation work so actual construction is under way (expected to be completed in Dec 2020

http://butlerradio.com/work-begins-next-week-to-prepare-for-freedom-road-bridge-project/

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Gnutella

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 04, 2019, 09:29:06 AM

Yes, that's the bridge replacement project near MM 28.

J N Winkler

This is a fairly specific question dealing with signing on the eastbound approach to the Breezewood interchange.

There are a couple of "Truck Alert" signs with the following messages, apparently the first two in a sequence of three or more:

Truck Alert - Avoid US 30 East Breezewood To McConnellsburg . . .

Truck Alert - . . . 3 1/2 Mile Hill On US 30 East Bad Curves . . .

The use of a trailing ellipsis on the second sign suggests that a third was posted at some point, possibly specifying difficult grades in addition to the "bad curves," but I cannot find it in StreetView.  Does anyone know if it existed and, if so, what it said?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 27, 2019, 04:06:46 PM
This is a fairly specific question dealing with signing on the eastbound approach to the Breezewood interchange.

There are a couple of "Truck Alert" signs with the following messages, apparently the first two in a sequence of three or more:

The use of a trailing ellipsis on the second sign suggests that a third was posted at some point, possibly specifying difficult grades in addition to the "bad curves," but I cannot find it in StreetView.  Does anyone know if it existed and, if so, what it said?

Were they on normal VMS signage? It could be the message was flipping back and forth, with the "..." just referring back to the other message. If you're looking at GSV, you just happened to see the message that GSV captured.

jemacedo9

Yes, there was a third...it said something along the lines of "Use Exit 180 Fort Littleton to US 522 South" - I don't remember the exact words.

MASTERNC

IIRC those signs were recently replaced.  Think the whole message is now on one sign

J N Winkler

Many thanks for these answers.  The guess as to the legend on the third sign is close enough to allow me to go ahead and make a mockup.

From travel along the Turnpike in the mid- to late nineties, I seem to recall a version with just one panel and legend along the lines of "Truck Alert - Bad Hill - [US 30] to McConnellsburg," but if this existed, it is long gone.  (I was not taking pictures of signs at the time or systematically recording unusual legends.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 24, 2019, 05:29:50 PM
Also, I noticed the PTC is installing a new system for two-way operations at the Tuscarora Tunnel.  Starting about a mile before the tunnel, they have installed concrete barrier on the left side with automated swinging barriers.  They are orange semi-circle barriers with black-on-orange chevron symbols.  I'm guessing the purpose is to keep traffic from being in the lane that will handle oncoming traffic inside the tunnel.

Just noticed this in action on one of the webcams.  Kind of neat they can automatically close a lane.

upload

SGwithADD

Mr_Northside

The article doesn't indicate if the Turnpike plans to install overhead gantries on the westbound side and have the toll be 2-way again, or if they plan on keeping it the doubled toll 1-way, eastbound, indefinitely. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 10, 2019, 10:00:01 AMThe article doesn't indicate if the Turnpike plans to install overhead gantries on the westbound side and have the toll be 2-way again, or if they plan on keeping it the doubled toll 1-way, eastbound, indefinitely.
Given that this AET conversion along the PA Turnpike is incremental (aka piece-meal) vs. the instantaneous AET conversions that took place along the entire Mass Pike (I-90) as well as the three Boston Harbor crossings just over 3 years ago; I wouldn't expect to hear any talk of returning of any 2-way conversions, where applicable, until the entire PA Turnpike is AET.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 10, 2019, 10:00:01 AM
The article doesn't indicate if the Turnpike plans to install overhead gantries on the westbound side and have the toll be 2-way again, or if they plan on keeping it the doubled toll 1-way, eastbound, indefinitely. 

It makes sense to continue the 1 way tolling.  Tolling both directions involve increased costs for equipment, transactions, billings, mailings, 2nd mailings, etc. 

Unless there's a huge difference in traffic numbers from people avoiding the 1 way toll, continue with the status quo. 

Bitmapped

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 10, 2019, 11:11:37 AM

It makes sense to continue the 1 way tolling.  Tolling both directions involve increased costs for equipment, transactions, billings, mailings, 2nd mailings, etc. 

Unless there's a huge difference in traffic numbers from people avoiding the 1 way toll, continue with the status quo. 

I have to imagine the $5.50 E-ZPass toll drives some people off the Turnpike. Personally, I'd like to see AET bring 2-way tolling along the entire section from the OH state line to Warrendale. The toll-free zone came about from the difficulty in having a toll plaza at the reconstructed Cranberry interchange. With AET, toll plazas are no longer a concern.

vdeane

Might as well keep it one-way EB given that Ohio has plans to truncate their ticket system and put in a one-way WB toll at the state line.  There's certainly room to put in a couple gantries between I-376 and I-79, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

The Tribune-Review article on the conversion just mentions eastbound being converted but nothing about tolls returning for westbound traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 10, 2019, 11:51:34 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 10, 2019, 11:11:37 AM

I have to imagine the $5.50 E-ZPass toll drives some people off the Turnpike. Personally, I'd like to see AET bring 2-way tolling along the entire section from the OH state line to Warrendale. The toll-free zone came about from the difficulty in having a toll plaza at the reconstructed Cranberry interchange. With AET, toll plazas are no longer a concern.

But there are other issues to deal with.

On the eastern end, they built a 1 way AET toll approximately where there was formally a 2 way toll plaza. Clearly they weren't worried about people avoiding the toll, and the issues with 2 way AET tolling were significant enough to simply go one way only.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.