News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2014?

Started by hbelkins, December 04, 2013, 11:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

We already have a number of meets planned for 2014, with dates either set, choices out there for polling purposes, or simply proposed with no dates yet put forth.

Besides those, anything else under consideration?

My travels are going to be extremely limited next year, so I will have to pick and choose what I attend very carefully, but I have some thoughts about good possible meets.

Ohio: Any ideas yet for next year? Hopefully they'll be announced here; if they're on Facebook I may not get to see them, depending on who the host is.

Atlanta: I've seen a lot of construction photos being posted in various places for projects in that area. I'd think it would be ripe for another meet. Surely there's someone in the area who could host. Jim Georges and Steve Williams are two possibilities, but I don't think either are members here.

Indiana: There are a bunch of projects there that I've always felt would be good sources for meets. I know one of our Michiganders has stated he might be able to host one in the Kokomo area.

As for me, I have three Kentucky possibilities under consideration. I would think that by next summer, work on the Louisville bridges would be to a point where a meet could be centered on those projects. I know we have some Louisville-area residents here who keep closer tabs on the bridges and I'd be glad to work with them.

If work begins on a proposed project to widen New Circle Road (KY 4) on the northwest side of Lexington, and convert the US 421 Leestown Road interchange into a diverging diamond, I'd love to do a Bluegrass-area meet and tour. It would include meeting mid-morning, seeing the construction there and the existing diverging diamond at KY 4 and US 68, driving the scenic US 27-68 Paris Pike route, lunch at a landmark central Kentucky restaurant, viewing the I-75 Kentucky River bridge from beneath, and possibly a handful of other things.

My third idea is a driving tour of western Kentucky once construction begins on the new US 68-KY 80 Eggners Ferry Bridge across Kentucky Lake. We'd start out in Bowling Green, drive across US 68/KY 80, drive the existing Eggners Ferry Bridge with the replacement segment that was installed last spring after the existing span was knocked out by a too-tall ship; clinch of I-69 in Kentucky, and a few other sights. Lunch would be along the route, hopefully at Patti's 1880s Settlement with the famous pork chops. That would be an all-day event.

I don't have any ideas for West Virginia at this time. I don't know of any meet-worthy projects in the western part of the state or the Kanawha Valley.

Other ideas not already mentioned in this post or elsewhere?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

Ideas that have been pitched in other threads so far and that I'm already planning for:

March/April: Delmarva Peninsula / Chesapeake Eastern Shore

May June: New York City

June/July: Québec City

Alex

Would like to set something up for Jacksonville, Florida. There are a number of projects there worth seeing and it can be held during the winter given the climate. My problem is that I am not local to there and cannot scout out places to eat or where to stage to see projects without investing an entire day to driving there and back. Plus I do not know anyone there to get suggestions for eateries, etc.

With that written, we did visit there in 2010 to go to Dave and Buster's and the Riverfront. Depending on if there is free parking or not, somewhere along the water may be a good place to stage the meet and greet. Again I'd need local suggestions or have to check it out again.

jwolfer is our resident Jax member on the forum. I'll communicate with him to see if there is any interest.

vdeane

I would like to host a Corning/Elmira meet, but it's too early to tell right now if I'll be able to.  I was looking at April/May, but if NYC is now May, I might push it out to August/September/October.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2013, 02:03:01 PM
I would like to host a Corning/Elmira meet, but it's too early to tell right now if I'll be able to.  I was looking at April/May, but if NYC is now May, I might push it out to August/September/October.

I can see either Dylan or Doug helping out with that one.

getemngo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 04, 2013, 11:37:27 AM
Indiana: There are a bunch of projects there that I've always felt would be good sources for meets. I know one of our Michiganders has stated he might be able to host one in the Kokomo area.

I sort of yielded the floor to Brandon after you recommended I not hold a meet in an area I don't know well, and he said he was considering a Gary or Elkhart/South Bend meet.

I am, however, reviving the idea of a fall meet in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It would cover either Houghton, Ontonagon, and points north, or a loop from Marquette to L'Anse and back. I've already talked to a few people, and it sounds like maybe 6-8 are interested, including a number of Wisconsin roadgeeks and Steve.
~ Sam from Michigan

dgolub

Wasn't there also talk about doing a Merritt Parkway meet at some point?

Duke87

Quote from: dgolub on December 04, 2013, 06:04:26 PM
Wasn't there also talk about doing a Merritt Parkway meet at some point?

There was. In fact, I already have it sketched out. But I'm not the type to set even approximate dates for things half a year in advance, so don't expect to know when it's happening until it's maybe six weeks away.

That said, if anyone has a particular preference for one time of year over another, I'm listening. It's local enough for me that I can do it any weekend so long as I don't have something else going on.

As for meets I'd attend, Quebec City is probably the most aggressive trip I will take in 2014. My car is going to be ready for retirement some time next year (likely in the fall), once I have successfully ditched it for a younger model I'll go back to going crazy.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

I-49 from Doddridge to Gilliam  is supposed to open sometime in the Spring. Don't know if there would be any interest in a meet?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mgk920

I haven't made an official announcement yet, but I'm about 98% certain on 26-April for NE Wisconsin.

Mike

Roadgeek Adam

Right now I am planning nothing till I know where my parents are moving to. When they do move, I am spending 8 months in Jersey and the rest in [place to be determined]. However, there seems to be a very big feeling in the family that they're moving out of normal roadgeeking territory (CO, WY, MT, ID, ND, UT are all possibilities. I don't like it too much, but there's not much I can do about it.

There is also a chance that some time between May and September that I will have to get a job and pay for a place of my own (and go to college...). If and when I know the status of the family, I'll come up with something.

ETA: I should add I got my learner's permit, finally, on November 26. Right now I cannot take a road test until at least February 26 courtesy of Jersey laws, but if I pass and such, I will probably hold a meet on my usual weekend in March, and since I'd have my (probationary) license, I can go anywhere within reason when scheduling one.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 05, 2013, 11:35:45 AMETA: I should add I got my learner's permit, finally, on November 26. Right now I cannot take a road test until at least February 26 courtesy of Jersey laws, but if I pass and such, I will probably hold a meet on my usual weekend in March, and since I'd have my (probationary) license, I can go anywhere within reason when scheduling one.

Only three months on the Learner's? It's a whole goddamn year here!

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 05, 2013, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 05, 2013, 11:35:45 AMETA: I should add I got my learner's permit, finally, on November 26. Right now I cannot take a road test until at least February 26 courtesy of Jersey laws, but if I pass and such, I will probably hold a meet on my usual weekend in March, and since I'd have my (probationary) license, I can go anywhere within reason when scheduling one.

Only three months on the Learner's? It's a whole goddamn year here!

It's longer for those <21 I believe. I got it at 22 so the rules tend to be different.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 05, 2013, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 04, 2013, 01:02:53 PM
May: New York City
It's in May for sure?
As certain as the Nashville meet is March 29 - in other words, likely, but unconfirmed.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Steve on December 05, 2013, 06:37:39 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on December 05, 2013, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 04, 2013, 01:02:53 PM
May: New York City
It's in May for sure?
As certain as the Nashville meet is March 29 - in other words, likely, but unconfirmed.
Count me in then, unless something else comes up. 65% chance I can go.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

corco

Wait when did that change from June? That...really changes my summer plans.

Alps

Quote from: corco on December 05, 2013, 07:07:28 PM
Wait when did that change from June? That...really changes my summer plans.
Oh, okay, last weekend in JUNE, not last weekend in MAY. I didn't check my own thread, shame on me.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on December 04, 2013, 02:49:52 PM

I may end up just giving the meet to them, honestly.  I have a tour planned out and everything, but I honestly don't know where (if anywhere) I'll be able to travel next year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

Quote from: vdeane on December 05, 2013, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 04, 2013, 02:49:52 PM

I may end up just giving the meet to them, honestly.  I have a tour planned out and everything, but I honestly don't know where (if anywhere) I'll be able to travel next year.

If that's the case, I don't anticipate there being an issue for someone willing to help out.

froggie

Still looking at Hampton Roads and/or DC before I "retire" to Vermont by the end of April.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on December 06, 2013, 08:54:39 AM
Still looking at Hampton Roads and/or DC before I "retire" to Vermont by the end of April.

Hampton Roads is one I definitely want to do, if finances allow.

cpzilliacus

Hampton Roads has a lot of neat stuff to see, I have not been there for a while, and it is not terribly far from Maryland. 

What transportation assets would be on your D.C.-area list?

Mine would be:

- 11th Street Bridge and related improvements;
- I-495 HOV/Toll lanes;
- I-95 HOV/Toll lanes;
- I-95/I-495 interchange with Va. 241 (Telegraph Road);
- Dulles Rail; and
- eastern part of Md. 200 (ICC).

Those can be done in a day or less (I know, I did them for the American Dream Coalition bus tour in October).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 06, 2013, 02:44:42 PM

Hampton Roads has a lot of neat stuff to see, I have not been there for a while, and it is not terribly far from Maryland. 

What transportation assets would be on your D.C.-area list?

Mine would be:

- 11th Street Bridge and related improvements;
- I-495 HOV/Toll lanes;
- I-95 HOV/Toll lanes;
- I-95/I-495 interchange with Va. 241 (Telegraph Road);
- Dulles Rail; and
- eastern part of Md. 200 (ICC).

Those can be done in a day or less (I know, I did them for the American Dream Coalition bus tour in October).

There were at least two ICC meets previously held, and Froggie's last DC meet covered the I-495 HOV lanes, the Dulles Rail and the Telegraph Road interchange.

Alps

We've had a couple of DC meets recently, so if you only have time for one, definitely do Hampton Roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.