2013 Monticello Road Meet

Started by Roadgeek Adam, February 01, 2013, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on March 18, 2013, 10:45:26 AM
Street View shows massive construction along that portion of NY 42, so I'm guessing that it's a recent change.

Even more specifically than "massive construction", it shows road crews in the process of actually installing a median, directly in front of the diner, in May of 2009. http://goo.gl/maps/rao8b

So yes, I'd say that's a fair assessment. :-)

What I can't quite tell, though, is whether this is a real median or the mountable kind. According to this news blurb, which shows distant or artistically blurred shots of the new median, but doesn't mention it among the modifications, Broadway is more accessible than it used to be prior to reconstruction, so according your local news, you may rest assured!

djsinco

Quote from: hbelkins on March 17, 2013, 09:47:46 PM
What's the weather forecast for Saturday for Monticello?
hbelkins, FWIW, I stayed at the Days Inn in Wurtsboro, NY, one night back in 2011. It was OK, no problems, and a relative bargain for the area. Hope this helps!
3 million miles and counting

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: empirestate on March 18, 2013, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: deanej on March 18, 2013, 10:45:26 AM
Street View shows massive construction along that portion of NY 42, so I'm guessing that it's a recent change.

Even more specifically than "massive construction", it shows road crews in the process of actually installing a median, directly in front of the diner, in May of 2009. http://goo.gl/maps/rao8b

So yes, I'd say that's a fair assessment. :-)

What I can't quite tell, though, is whether this is a real median or the mountable kind. According to this news blurb, which shows distant or artistically blurred shots of the new median, but doesn't mention it among the modifications, Broadway is more accessible than it used to be prior to reconstruction, so according your local news, you may rest assured!

Alright, my bad. Bing is always extremely out of date in Birds Eye, plus I always thought it was a normal street through Monticello.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Duke87

I am now kicking myself because I drove down NY 42 through Monticello just a week ago and cannot remember what the median looked like.

From satellite view, there appear to be some signs mounted in the median, which would imply that it is not the type you can cross.

At any rate, if you are coming from the west on NY 17, it doesn't matter since you would logically take exit 104 and be going down Broadway on the side the diner is on. Unless Adam was planning on having the tour turn left into or out of the lot...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Duke87 on March 18, 2013, 09:49:35 PM
I am now kicking myself because I drove down NY 42 through Monticello just a week ago and cannot remember what the median looked like.

From satellite view, there appear to be some signs mounted in the median, which would imply that it is not the type you can cross.

At any rate, if you are coming from the west on NY 17, it doesn't matter since you would logically take exit 104 and be going down Broadway on the side the diner is on. Unless Adam was planning on having the tour turn left into or out of the lot...

Going out to Exit 106 to get to NY 17.
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: djsinco on March 18, 2013, 01:39:44 PM
hbelkins, FWIW, I stayed at the Days Inn in Wurtsboro, NY, one night back in 2011. It was OK, no problems, and a relative bargain for the area. Hope this helps!

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn at Goshen. Choice has a promotion where if you stay two nights, you get enough points for a free night. Staying Thursday at a Choice property in Virginia. Will probably stay Saturday night at a Choice property in the Scranton area, and then Sunday night somewhere near Huntington or Charleston. Will give me a chance to do some last-minute scouting for my own meet in the Huntington-Ashland area in a couple of weeks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

djsinco

Quote from: hbelkins on March 19, 2013, 09:56:25 AM
Quote from: djsinco on March 18, 2013, 01:39:44 PM

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn at Goshen. Choice has a promotion where if you stay two nights, you get enough points for a free night. Staying Thursday at a Choice property in Virginia. Will probably stay Saturday night at a Choice property in the Scranton area, and then Sunday night somewhere near Huntington or Charleston. Will give me a chance to do some last-minute scouting for my own meet in the Huntington-Ashland area in a couple of weeks.
We are about the same age. I was using Choice exclusively, but now I am checking and frequently booking through the Wyndham networks, which includes quite a few chains.

My $14 AARP membership paid for itself in one night as many of the properties offer a healthy 20% off AARP discount...
3 million miles and counting

hbelkins

My attendance at this meet is now seriously in jeopardy. One of our cats had to have emergency surgery this evening. She's doing OK for now, but I will have to see how she's doing tomorrow before I decide whether or not to head out Friday morning. My travel plans have already changed, as I definitely won't be leaving tomorrow.

I will post a definitive answer here either tomorrow evening or Friday morning. Right now it's about 70/30 I won't be able to come, but am keeping my fingers crossed.

PHLBOS

As of now, count me in.  Lord Willing, I will see you all on Saturday.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Hows the snow situation in Monticello and the southern tier right now?  We got a fair amount in Rochester last night, but I think it might have been lake effect.  I just had my snow tires taken off, so I think my attendance at this meet might have jinxed the weather.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: vdeane on March 22, 2013, 12:32:24 PM
Hows the snow situation in Monticello and the southern tier right now?  We got a fair amount in Rochester last night, but I think it might have been lake effect.  I just had my snow tires taken off, so I think my attendance at this meet might have jinxed the weather.

It was fine here in Orange County, still in good shape I'd believe.
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Kitty did well enough with her surgery that I felt OK in leaving. I am in the area tonight and will be there tomorrow.

Roadgeek Adam

First pic of the meet posted here on AARoads:

Taken here at the Parksville Road (CR 176 (ex-NY 17)) at Cooley Road (CR 85) in Parksville, NY.

From left to right:
Kneeling: John Krakoff (NY), Adam Moss (NJ)
First row: Valerie Deane (NY), Anthony Costanzo (NY), Chris Commans (PA), H.B. Elkins (KY), Daniel Case (NY)
Back row: Michael Temme-Soifer (NJ), Keith Thomas (NJ), Doug Kerr (NY), The Fathead (NY)

Meet went exceptionally well, short of digging out Smilin's car at Parksville because it got stuck in the snow.
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

"What kind of help do you need?" - driver passing us
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Did you all tell them you were looking for the nearest covered bridge?  How about an abandoned road? :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Dougtone

An alternative meet photo that I photographed.

From left to right - Valerie Deane, Anthony Costanzo, John Krakoff (kneeling), Michael Temme-Soifer, Chris Commans, Keith Thomas, H.B. Elkins, Adam Moss (holding the Doug Kerr Fathead), Daniel Case

empirestate

Sorry I missed it, guys! I was down in Texas assessing the local highway politics of Austin vs. San Antonio, TX. Or at least the politics in general.

Dr Frankenstein

Sorry I missed it too, it looks like it was fun!

CanesFan27

I'm sure Adam could have bought a pair of pants for $11.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 01, 2013, 11:39:07 AM

I wear shorts every day, even in temperatures of which most people would consider me insane. :P
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

I wonder if any passing motorists were thinking of that when they saw the "send help" sign.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 03, 2013, 08:13:13 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 01, 2013, 11:39:07 AM

I wear shorts every day, even in temperatures of which most people would realize that I'm insane. :P
FTFY

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.