why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

The Future of US 12 in Wisconsin

Started by US 12 fan, August 20, 2017, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 01, 2020, 11:23:13 PM
Saw this sign goof today. Kinda sums up my feeling about US 12 though!  :-D

I don't know why, but I like the look of that WI-12 shield.

The Ghostbuster

Historically, that STH 12 sign would have been accurate; from 1917-1926, that is. I once remember, a number of years ago, the reassurance markers along Stoughton Road has STH 51 (instead of US 51) signs along it. Also, one time when there was construction on the Beltline, there was a STH 18 sign along with a US 12 sign. The real STH 18 existed from Humbird to Manitowoc from 1917 to 1923, and from Prescott to Manitowoc from 1923 to 1926. That entire corridor is now part of US 10, although 10 has long since bypassed Humbird to the north, serving Fairchild instead.

triplemultiplex

Man, contractors fuck up the WI/US route markers just enough to make ya wonder if anyone gives a shit.  Is Eagle, WI still the junction of US 59 and US 67?  I remember that one.

But I guess that's what happens when you give out government contracts to the lowest bidder.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:23:15 AM
Man, contractors fuck up the WI/US route markers just enough to make ya wonder if anyone gives a shit.  Is Eagle, WI still the junction of US 59 and US 67?  I remember that one.

But I guess that's what happens when you give out government contracts to the lowest bidder.

I think about 95% of the driving public doesn't know the difference between state and US highways or they don't care. 

Crash_It

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:23:15 AM

It said WIS59/WIS67 the last time I went through there in 2018.

thspfc

While it is true that the vast majority of travelers don't care, it's simply inexcusable to make those types of mistakes. They should take some pride in their highways. The least they can do is not make blatant singage errors that could be pointed out by a five year old.

tchafe1978

I went through Dodgeville last weekend and the signing errors with US 151 being demoted and WIS 191 being promoted have been fixed, so maybe somebody at WisDOT still cares a little.

SSOWorld

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 04, 2020, 05:36:53 PM
I went through Dodgeville last weekend and the signing errors with US 151 being demoted and WIS 191 being promoted have been fixed, so maybe somebody at WisDOT still cares a little.
There are plenty of errors elsewhere.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thspfc

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 05, 2020, 07:57:12 PM
I insist that there is a US-23 shield on WI-23 between Fond du Lac and Sheboygan, but I can't find it on GSV. There is also this debacle: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0087049,-88.0495885,3a,18.7y,106.28h,87.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1six4LlvS4o3T1r_StKdJYcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
On CTH-M in Oconto County. The funniest part is that if you view the street view from 2008 instead of 2019, the shield is actually correct.

The Ghostbuster

There once was a STH 141 in Wisconsin from 1923 to 1926; the highway went from STH (formerly US) 16 northwest of Fall River to STH 33 north of Cambria. The route is still a part of the state highway system, although it has been numbered STH 146 since 1926, in order to avoid route duplication with US 141.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2020, 02:27:12 AM
I used to drive from Brillion to Appleton and I liked the light better than the roundabout simply because the light was almost always green for US 10 traffic. Wis 57 had to stop as it was red until a vehicle approached. I can see Wis 57 traffic liking the roundabout better since it was almost a guaranteed stop unless there was a car ahead.

Coincidentally both Wis 57 and US 10 have 2 additional roundabouts each to the north and west.

The roundabouts were installed on that two-lane part of US 10 west of WI 32/57 in the 00s due to a number of VERY BAD crashes that happened at the prior intersections, particularly the one at WI 55.  IIRC, that intersection might have been re-signed as a 4-way STOP in the decade or so before that one was built (I don't often travel that way).

I have heard of no problems at those intersections since.

(Note, if I had my way, the part of existing US 10 between Forest Junction (just east of WI 32/57) and WI 441 in Appleton would be bypassed on a combination of a 'Super-Two' freeway on a four-lane cross country new-ROW and an upgraded Outagamie County 'CE'.)

Mike

JREwing78

No pictures, but WisDOT contractors have all but about 1/4 mile of the NBD lanes completed on the S-curve rebuild between Sauk City and Baraboo. The remaining 1/4 mile is where the new pavement meets the existing pavement at the southern end. It carried 2-way traffic most of the summer while the other areas were realigned and rebuilt. They're now moving in fill to raise and slope the roadbed for the curve. It should be done within a couple weeks.

dvferyance

Yep I found one last weekend in Adams County there is a US-82 shield on WI-82 just west of WI-13.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: dvferyance on October 16, 2020, 09:58:23 PM
Yep I found one last weekend in Adams County there is a US-82 shield on WI-82 just west of WI-13.
Been there at least almost a year. Like to make trips over the 82 bridge and US 82 signs were there end of 2019
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

US 12 fan

Apparently there is a plan, or at least discussion on resurfacing Hwy 12 in Madison. That definitely needs it because that road is in poor shape.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/us1218-beltline/default.aspx

tchafe1978

Quote from: US 12 fan on November 27, 2020, 12:39:16 PM
Apparently there is a plan, or at least discussion on resurfacing Hwy 12 in Madison. That definitely needs it because that road is in poor shape.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/us1218-beltline/default.aspx

The resurfacing of the Beltline was already completed this past summer. The project to allow part time shoulder running is supposed to happen next year.

US 12 fan

Is the Bluffview project over in Sauk County finished? And if it is, does anybody have any pictures of it?

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps has been updated to show the new configuration (although not the terrain on Satellite Mode): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3527356,-89.7631812,1681m/data=!3m1!1e3. I'm afraid that is the best I can do.

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 04, 2020, 09:37:46 PM
Google Maps has been updated to show the new configuration (although not the terrain on Satellite Mode): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3527356,-89.7631812,1681m/data=!3m1!1e3. I'm afraid that is the best I can do.

That imagery is pretty out of date. It still doesn't show the southern half of the Baraboo bypass.

peterj920

peterj920

Quote from: tchafe1978 on November 27, 2020, 09:44:37 PM
Quote from: US 12 fan on November 27, 2020, 12:39:16 PM

The resurfacing of the Beltline was already completed this past summer. The project to allow part time shoulder running is supposed to happen next year.

The surface last year was the 1st layer. There's supposed to be another layer along with badly needed ramp repairs next year along with the shoulder lanes. I emailed the SW Region to complain about how awful the Todd Dr and Fish Hatchery Rd were. They said they will be fixed along with another resurfacing.

I-39

Quote from: peterj920 on December 07, 2020, 10:24:23 PM
Quote from: US 12 fan on December 04, 2020, 07:37:32 PM
Is the Bluffview project over in Sauk County finished? And if it is, does anybody have any pictures of it?

https://twitter.com/wisdotsouthwest/status/1336012108459282432?s=21

Looks excellent. The only thing that would've been better is if they reconstructed the pavement north and south of that section to bring it up to par with the newer pavement on the Baraboo bypass.

midwesternroadguy

Two comments about the S Curve reconstruction:

I'm not sure I understand why US 12 was elevated so much. Both carriageways were elevated as a unit instead of independently. This project used a lot of fill.

Speed limits remain 55 mph. Considering the relatively few intersections and driveways south of Ski-hi Road, I would think it would be considered for a 65 mph upgrade–unless the narrow median over Stevens Pass drove that decision. 

I-39

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on December 26, 2020, 06:30:09 AM
Two comments about the S Curve reconstruction:

I'm not sure I understand why US 12 was elevated so much. Both carriageways were elevated as a unit instead of independently. This project used a lot of fill.

Speed limits remain 55 mph. Considering the relatively few intersections and driveways south of Ski-hi Road, I would think it would be considered for a 65 mph upgrade–unless the narrow median over Stevens Pass drove that decision.

Bigger thing is why didn't they fully reconstruct the pavement to the north and south of the project to match the improvements. If satellite images are correct, that pavement dates back to the 1950s.

midwesternroadguy

The divided highway was constructed for the Ordnance Plant during WWII with concrete pavement.  In the "˜80s the original concrete and blacktop overlays were "rubble-ized"  (and removed) and replaced with a bituminous pavement.  We will see how long the overlay from 2019 lasts north and south of the S Curve project.  It certainly was a relief to have that done at least.  While the wheel tracks were extremely pothole-ridden, they could be avoided by shifting your vehicle slightly, if you weren't driving a large vehicle.  Funny how many people didn't notice that and chose to drive through the potholes. 

Maybe they're awaiting a full reconstruction until a decision is made about the Sauk City bypass.  However, I don't see that happening for at least 20 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.