Regional Boards > Mid-South

Interstate 2

<< < (111/111)

Thegeet:

--- Quote from: abqtraveler on October 17, 2023, 08:57:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 17, 2023, 01:48:35 PM ---No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.

--- End quote ---
Well, it's not quite finished yet, as they're still working at the west end where it ties into the old road. I would suspect that TxDOT will apply to extend the I-2 designation once the La Joya Bypass is fully complete.

--- End quote ---
Actually, it might take a about one or two years before being designated an Interstate, as they have to get approval from AASHTO and FHWA.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 17, 2023, 01:48:35 PM ---No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.

--- End quote ---

Well, it's not quite finished yet, as they're still working at the west end where it ties into the old road. I would suspect that TxDOT will apply to extend the I-2 designation once the La Joya Bypass is fully complete.

--- End quote ---

I thought exit numbers were now required for new construction, no matter if it's an Interstate or not.  ?

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 09:41:32 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I thought exit numbers were now required for new construction, no matter if it's an Interstate or not.  ?

--- End quote ---
That would be true for interstates. I don't know whether non-interstate routes require exit numbers. If that's the case, it would create a very confusing system, as the mileage system for non-interstate routes in Texas is very convoluted.  For north-south routes, the mileage is determined from the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle. For east-west routes, mileage is determined from the Texas/New Mexico/Mexico tripoint at the westernmpost point in the state.  And then you have interstates whose mileage follows the traditional convention of starting at the south/west end of the route and increasing heading north/east.

So for the La Joya Bypass, you would get exit numbers around 850 (based on US-83 distance from the NW corner of the Panhandle) changing to Exit 130 and increasing once you reach the east end of the bypass and it becomes I-2.

The Ghostbuster:
Since existing Interstate 2's exits are numbered 130 to 176, it would make perfect sense to number the La Joya Bypass's exits as a continuation of those numbers, rather than number them by the mileage of US 83 (depending on whether mile 0 would be at the Oklahoma/Texas border, or at the Mexican border along the Veterans International Bridge co-current with US 77).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version