News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Missing Business Loop?

Started by 707, June 17, 2019, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was looking through ADOT logs between 1998 and 2013 and came across the peculiar fact the I-8 Business loops are listed as follows:
SB008 (1) - Arizona section of the Winterhaven-Yuma loop
SB008 (3) - Gila Bend loop

In the case of I-10 and I-40, both Interstates have similar (1) (2) (3) etc. suffixes to identify every individual loop. The numbers aren't consecutive, as some loops are retired (such as SB010 (2) in Tucson and SB040 (0) in Kingman), but historically both I-10 and I-40 had business loops in a consecutive sequence. That raises a huge question in my mind regarding I-8. Where is SB008 (2)? Aka, "State Business Route 8 (2)". It would be odd if they skipped straight to 3 with Gila Bend and never imagined a "2". If "2" existed, was it in Wellton or Dateland? This will require a bit of detective work.

Max Rockatansky

I believe Dateland used to have one if my memory serves correct.  Then again I can just be remembering using Old US 80 to get a Date Shake. 

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 17, 2019, 07:47:23 AM
I believe Dateland used to have one if my memory serves correct.  Then again I can just be remembering using Old US 80 to get a Date Shake.

Tell you what, I could go for a date shake right now.

So old Dateland possibly had a business loop eh? Though honestly it drives me nuts trying to figure out where SB008 (2) was or was planned. Dateland and Wellton honestly look like the only places that make sense. Looking through the ROW resolutions, it looks like Wellton may be ruled out. The state abandoned that section of former US 80 to the county and town in 1978 or so.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 707 on June 19, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 17, 2019, 07:47:23 AM

Tell you what, I could go for a date shake right now.

So old Dateland possibly had a business loop eh? Though honestly it drives me nuts trying to figure out where SB008 (2) was or was planned. Dateland and Wellton honestly look like the only places that make sense. Looking through the ROW resolutions, it looks like Wellton may be ruled out. The state abandoned that section of former US 80 to the county and town in 1978 or so.

It's certainly possible.  There might be some trace evidence on some of the older google images if they still exist.  I remember the business routes in Yuma and Gila Bend a little more clearly, I could possibly be off track with Dateland...yes those shakes hit the spot on the way home from Yuma. 

Zonie

Looking at the satellite map, I don't think there was a business loop.  The only business of consequence between Dateland and Aztec is the travel center, which was built closer to I-8 than old US-80.

Quote from: Zonie on June 19, 2019, 05:07:31 PM
Looking at the satellite map, I don't think there was a business loop.  The only business of consequence between Dateland and Aztec is the travel center, which was built closer to I-8 than old US-80.
Thanks. I wish I knew why ADOT placed a nonsensical number gap. I've scoured everywhere I can look trying to figure out why SB008 (2) doesn't exist, bit no luck so far.

VS988

kphoger

I wonder if (2) was a loop that never got built and therefore doesn't appear in any logs.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Zonie

I suspect No. 2 was never built; it could possibly have been intended for the stretch between Mohawk and Ligurta. 

andy3175

Could this have been a business spur rather than a business loop? We know of at least one business spur in Arizona, in Winslow off I-40.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

I'm more inclined to believe SB008 (2) was just a proposal that was never built. Business Spurs of Interstates (there have been two in Arizona history) are internally referred to as SSXXX. SS040 is the spur in Winslow while SS010 was the former spur in Benson for I-10 Business.

--Ramblings on BL designations in Arizona below.--

In case anyone was wondering for whatever reason, in reality while they're signed and referenced as Interstate Business Loops, they are actually referred to as Arizona State Routes by ADOT.

SBXXX - State Route Business Loops
SSXXX - State Route Spurs

For example.
I-8 Business in Yuma - Arizona State Route 8B (Section 1)/SR 8 Business
I-40 Business Spur - Arizona State Route 40S/SR 40 Spur

These same internal designations are used by SR 79 Business and SR 90 Spur to make a point.

I always found that interesting. ADOT decided not to create a separate designation for Interstate Business Loops, yet U.S. Highway Business Loops were always given U.S. Route designations by ADOT. U.S. Route 191 Business in Douglas was internally designated UB191.

VS988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.