News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 in Vallejo to elevate overpasses from 14.9-15.3 feet to 16 feet 6 inches

Started by bing101, December 21, 2019, 01:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.timesheraldonline.com/2019/12/19/caltrans-looking-to-elevate-overpasses-on-interstate-80-during-next-few-years/     
Caltrans to raise several overpasses in Vallejo in the next few years.  The affected overpasses are Magazine Street, Benicia Road, Georgia Street, Springs Road, Tennessee Street, and Redwood Street to the standard height of 16 feet 6 inches.

Max Rockatansky

Isn't the stretch of I-80 among the older parts of the freeway grade?  I suspect most of those overpasses were probably constructed during the early 1950s if not even the late 1940s?

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2019, 01:33:21 PM
Isn't the stretch of I-80 among the older parts of the freeway grade?  I suspect most of those overpasses were probably constructed during the early 1950s if not even the late 1940s?
The Vallejo Section of I-80 has to be the narrowest section of the freeway in Solano County. That Section has been around since the freeway was then known as US-40.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on December 21, 2019, 08:16:40 PM
The Vallejo Section of I-80 has to be the narrowest section of the freeway in Solano County. That Section has been around since the freeway was then known as US-40.

More so, if I recall correctly it was also part of the right of way that was originally adopted as part of the American Canyon Route spur of Legislative Route 7 circa 1931?  That corridor was a huge improvement in getting traffic to the Carquinez Bridge over the last Generation Lincoln Highway before US 40 realigned.  Either way it's not surprising given the older nature of the stretch that improvements would be coming. 

Kniwt

The Magazine Street overpass opened October 27, 1956:

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Funny, that same situation with expressway grades being gradually built up into freeways really was a staple of the 1950s era.  It seems like that's a great number of the urbanized freeways before the Interstate era got built. 

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 12:22:04 AM
^^^

Funny, that same situation with expressway grades being gradually built up into freeways really was a staple of the 1950s era.  It seems like that's a great number of the urbanized freeways before the Interstate era got built.

I remember I-5 in Los Angeles County from i-710 to CA-91 Interchange for decades had the narrowest section of interstate in the Southland due to the freeway being previously part of US-101 Santa Ana Freeway though and the standards for interstate freeways during the time that freeway was built.  I-5 from I-710 to CA-91 had to be in a similar situation as the Vallejo section of I-80 is though prior to that freeways renovation though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.