News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 4 west of I-5 to I-80

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 29, 2019, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This past November I drove CA 4 from I-5 in Stockton westward to I-80 in Hercules.  CA 4 west from Stockton towards Byron traverses the San Joaquin River Delta and largely rides atop of levees which are bridged with structures dating from 1933 or prior.  CA 4 between Byron west to Hercules is interesting due to how complex the original iteration of CA 4 was.  In particular the earliest alignment of CA 4 went through Port Chicago (which was largely blasted away during a Naval munitions accident in 1944) and downtown Martinez.  A bypass of Port Chicago and Martinez known as the Arnold Industrial Highway opened in 1939 which routed CA 4 over Willow Pass.  The Arnold Industrial Highway was gradually expanded towards Pittsburg by the early 1950s and eventually became part of the modern freeway grade.  CA 4 west of Martinez through Franklin Canyon feels as though it was barely engineered to a freeway standard and still includes a significant right on/right off Exit.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/12/california-state-route-4-west-from-i-5.html

The Ghostbuster

Will the CA 4 Ort. J. Loftus Freeway ever reconnect with existing CA 4/West Charter Way? Or is Navy Drive the freeway's permanent western terminus?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 30, 2019, 02:52:40 PM
Will the CA 4 Ort. J. Loftus Freeway ever reconnect with existing CA 4/West Charter Way? Or is Navy Drive the freeway's permanent western terminus?

As far as I know there isn't really a solid plan to connect it to mainline CA 4 on Charter Way. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 30, 2019, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 30, 2019, 02:52:40 PM

As far as I know there isn't really a solid plan to connect it to mainline CA 4 on Charter Way. 

Technically, the section of CA 4 between the stub-end at Navy Drive in Stockton to the present expressway starting at the intersection of Vasco Road and Marsh Creek Road in Brentwood is still a part of the California Freeway & Expressway System.  Practically, the likelihood of a freeway being built anywhere near the present levee-riding CA 4 alignment is virtually nil because of environmental considerations.  The Delta is considered endangered; building a freeway across its midst would be seen both within the current Caltrans administration and other relevant agencies as exacerbating the various problems.   The only freeway with a fighting chance of being deployed as an extension of the Brentwood Bypass would be one along the CA 239 alignment down to the I-580/205 junction.  Since the Delta begins within a mile or so west of the Navy Dr. terminus, that'll likely remain in its present state for the foreseeable future.  The Ort J. Loftus freeway between I-5 and CA 99 was constructed as its own SIU to fulfill a longstanding regional traffic need; IIRC it was opened to traffic in late 1992 or early 1993. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.