News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How do you define the Midwest?

Started by hotdogPi, August 17, 2018, 07:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minneha

Quote from: bm7 on October 21, 2023, 12:29:23 AMI don't consider the UP, or northern Minnesota/Wisconsin to be Midwestern. Once you go north into the seemingly endless forests of pine and spruce, it feels like you're in a very different area.

The forested areas in the northern Midwest might feel different than the farming areas in the central Midwest, but it's all still the Midwest. This is why I like to use the Census Bureau's 12-state region as the definition of the Midwest. It keeps it simple. If it's in that 12-state region, it's the Midwest. If it's outside of that 12-state region, it's not the Midwest. Otherwise, people engage in gatekeeping about what is and is not the Midwest. States in the Midwest can have different landscapes and still all be in the Midwest.

Flint1979

How is the U.P. not part of the Midwest?

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 22, 2023, 09:08:08 PM
Because non-Michiganders say so!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 11:00:58 AM
And yet Cincinnati is the "queen city of the west".

Quote from: Road Hog on October 19, 2023, 08:03:58 PM
A native will tell you Arkansas is definitively southern.

As a native Arkansan, I can say that most of Arkansas is definitely southern.  But I can also say that the mountainous areas are more like Appalachia and the Ozark Plateau portions of NWA are more like the midwest with all of the immigration the past 3 decades.

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on October 20, 2023, 07:55:20 AM
Arkansas ... is tough to throw into a single bucket ... NWA feels almost midwestern in comparison with Tulsa and KC influencing it more than Little Rock.

Are you an Arkansas native?  :hmmm:

Yup, my entire life.  However, only lived in the western and northwestern parts, but travel to LR and Jonesboro multiple times a year to take care of onsite IT work for a client.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on October 22, 2023, 09:57:22 PM
Well it is a part of the Midwest no matter who says it is or isn't.

Flint1979

The lower Peninsula is part of the Midwest and the Upper Peninsula goes farther west than the lower Peninsula does and borders Wisconsin what part of the country do you think Wisconsin's in?

fhmiii

JayhawkCO

Quote from: fhmiii on October 23, 2023, 08:54:41 AM
Someone has responded to this map.  They are correct: https://x.com/robertmentzer/status/1714442998862233819?s=46&t=czoqRlbUcoq4KGfUAlcKuQ

As someone who lives in KC, you really don't think Kansas is Midwest? Odd take.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 23, 2023, 08:14:44 AM

No one is disputing that it is technically part of the Midwest (at least according to the Census Bureau's definition) by virtue of being part of Michigan, but it was part of a more nuanced conversation about the fact that 15% of Michiganders say they don't live in the Midwest.

fhmiii

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 23, 2023, 10:06:08 AM
Someone has responded to this map.  They are correct: https://x.com/robertmentzer/status/1714442998862233819?s=46&t=czoqRlbUcoq4KGfUAlcKuQ

No.  While Wyandotte, Leavenworth, and Johnson Counties might qualify culturally as "midwestern," the whole state is not those three counties that neighbor Kansas City.  I say this because I separate "Midwest" and "Great Plains."  It's largely based on a) primary major settlement period (1800 to 1850 vs 1850 to 1900) and b) relative population density.  While there are certainly areas of the Midwest with very few people, you'll not find too many places where whole counties have populations of less than 1,000.  You will find plenty such counties in Kansas and especially in Nebraska and the Dakotas.

And are you really surprised that someone from Missouri would find any excuse to exclude Kansas?  :D

JayhawkCO

Quote from: fhmiii on October 23, 2023, 10:34:46 AM

No.  While Wyandotte, Leavenworth, and Johnson Counties might qualify culturally as "midwestern," the whole state is not those three counties that neighbor Kansas City.  I say this because I separate "Midwest" and "Great Plains."  It's largely based on a) primary major settlement period (1800 to 1850 vs 1850 to 1900) and b) relative population density.  While there are certainly areas of the Midwest with very few people, you'll not find too many places where whole counties have populations of less than 1,000.  You will find plenty such counties in Kansas and especially in Nebraska and the Dakotas.

And are you really surprised that someone from Missouri would find any excuse to exclude Kansas?  :D

Sure, sure. But, at least for me, population density doesn't make any difference to a culture. A little town in central Kansas is going to feel an awful lot like a little town in central Indiana.

Rothman

MO is its own crazy ball of wax when it comes to which region it should be in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2023, 10:38:59 AM

Agreed. If I were to exclude a state between the two, Missouri has parts of it that are was less Midwestern than anything in Kansas.

bm7

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 23, 2023, 08:16:13 AM
The lower Peninsula is part of the Midwest and the Upper Peninsula goes farther west than the lower Peninsula does and borders Wisconsin what part of the country do you think Wisconsin's in?
As I said in my previous post, I don't personally consider the northern part of Wisconsin (if I had to pick a line, I'd say that northern is anything north of Merrill or Marinette) to be in the Midwest. The rest of the state is still Midwestern.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2023, 10:26:00 AM

No one is disputing that it is technically part of the Midwest (at least according to the Census Bureau's definition) by virtue of being part of Michigan, but it was part of a more nuanced conversation about the fact that 15% of Michiganders say they don't live in the Midwest.

There is a term in psephology that I don't quite remember, and I'm having a hard time looking up, that basically refers to a small percentage of every poll's respondents whose answers are total nonsense. This is because the respondent doesn't correctly understand the question, because they are not competent to answer it, or because they are straight up trolling the pollster.

Some professional pollsters have caught onto this and include calibration questions to flag bad respondents and not count those responses. For example, one poll asked respondents "Have you ever been decapitated?" 4% said yes, they had.

Anyway, keep in mind that some of the "no" responses in clearly-Midwestern states may be a result of that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Well that 15% of Michiganians (I hate the term Michiganders due to the fact that recent governor signed it into law that refers to residents as Michiganders and we don't need a governor deciding what we get called) is only 1.5 million people of the state. I live in Saginaw which is in the middle of the state and I consider myself in the Midwest and I've actually asked several different people since this post has been going on and they agree with me. The U.P. is more Midwest than the L.P. is. Like in Ironwood I would indeed feel like I was in the Midwest. It's the Upper Midwest and Michigan has never been conisdered an east coast state so I dunno it's an opinion thing I guess but I just don't see how we're not in the Midwest.

Flint1979

Quote from: bm7 on October 23, 2023, 12:11:05 PM
As I said in my previous post, I don't personally consider the northern part of Wisconsin (if I had to pick a line, I'd say that northern is anything north of Merrill or Marinette) to be in the Midwest. The rest of the state is still Midwestern.
The whole state is in the Midwest. The terrain of the area doesn't make it any less of the Midwest than somewhere in Illinois or Iowa.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 23, 2023, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: bm7 on October 23, 2023, 12:11:05 PM
The whole state is in the Midwest. The terrain of the area doesn't make it any less of the Midwest than somewhere in Illinois or Iowa.

Agreed. Up North in Minnesota isn't all that different culturally to someone who lives in Albert Lea. Either way, you're stuck being a Vikings fan and you go to the State Fair every year and look at butter sculptures.

bm7

If Minnesota annexed part of Ontario, would those new areas become Midwestern?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bm7 on October 23, 2023, 12:56:27 PM
If Minnesota annexed part of Ontario, would those new areas become Midwestern?

Canada has different cultural traditions than the U.S., even in border areas. So, they wouldn't immediately, no. Over time? Sure, possibly.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2023, 12:20:21 PM

There is a term in psephology that I don't quite remember, and I'm having a hard time looking up, that basically refers to a small percentage of every poll's respondents whose answers are total nonsense. This is because the respondent doesn't correctly understand the question, because they are not competent to answer it, or because they are straight up trolling the pollster.

Some professional pollsters have caught onto this and include calibration questions to flag bad respondents and not count those responses. For example, one poll asked respondents "Have you ever been decapitated?" 4% said yes, they had.

Anyway, keep in mind that some of the "no" responses in clearly-Midwestern states may be a result of that.

That is fair, but even if ~5% of the responses are throwaways, we can't assume that all of those respondents said that Michigan isn't part of the Midwest. If a respondent was just selecting responses at random, for example, that becomes a 50/50 proposition, not a guarantee they'll reject the Midwest. Also, polls are inexact by nature, so they tend to be more useful for comparative purposes (to compare to a baseline, a prior poll, or one's own expectations) rather than for technical purposes (exactly 23 random, possibly unrepresentative people in Leelanau County believe Michigan isn't part of the Midwest).

In that context, 5% is a relatively small amount, and when applied to the entire poll (i.e. there are throwaway responses in all regions), we can see that approximately 15% of Michiganders said they don't live in the Midwest, while only about 4% of Iowans said the same. It's fair to conclude that an 11% difference isn't all because of throwaway responses, and that, in fact, there are some Michiganders that don't believe they live in the Midwest. That's where cultural, historical, geographical, and any number of other factors may come into play.

And while I'm not disputing that Michigan is in the Midwest by technical definition, I think it's worth digging into some of those factors and the nuance surrounding them. There's not much value to the poll if your only use for it is to tell what percentage of people in the state are wrong about where they live by Census Bureau definition. Maybe it isn't just that simple and that's why the pollster thought it was a question worth asking.. and why whoever started this thread thought it was worth starting, for that matter.

fhmiii

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2023, 10:38:59 AM

No doubt.  I like to say Missouri is the intersection of the Midwest, Great Plains, South, and West.

kphoger

1.  I grew up fifty miles east of the KS/CO state line, and I estimate that approximately zero people in the whole county thought they didn't live in the Midwest.  I'll take their word over that of someone in another state.

2.  Please list all of the "plenty such counties in Kansas" with a population of less than 1000.

3.  By my count, there are three total counties in all of the Dakotas with a population of less than 1000.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2023, 03:50:00 PMPlease list all of the "plenty such counties in Kansas" with a population of less than 1000.

Spoiler alert:  the number of such counties is zero.  Greeley, the least populous, has 1,223 people.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Sctvhound

Quote from: index on October 19, 2023, 09:22:12 PM
My personal definition:

I mostly agree with this map. Except maybe add a few more counties in West Virginia to the Midwest-influenced column. Monongalia, Preston and Marion Counties in WV and Greene County, PA to that column, and those counties on the Ohio River (at least most of them) are Midwestern and Appalachian.

You could plop some of those cities like Parkersburg, Huntington, and Point Pleasant in northeast or northwest Ohio very easily with their industry.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.