News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Springfield, MO: Old 66 Endangered

Started by US71, July 17, 2018, 12:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on August 27, 2018, 09:28:07 AM
It's hard to explain to a non-believer like NE2, but it was a major road from Chicago to Los Angeles. It's not just about the road, but the stories that are told.

The roadway at Springfield is one of the last if not THE last section of roadway in Springfield or possibly Missouri.  Word is it was finished by hand: something rarely seen anymore. Something you don't notice until you're actually walking it, is the texture of the pavement is different from how it is now. It's not just that it was 66, but the historical significance/relevance of the road itself.

66 in general does have a certain allure to it that other highways don't.  Part of the charm of the original surface routes was the road side attractions and things you could see.  Out west it's much of the same but then you have stories of infamy associated with places like Sitgreaves Pass and La Bajada Hill (granted almost everything west of Santa Fe has a lot in common with the NOTR).  I can't think of any other highways in the US that still have or rather had so much to see and do that was worthwhile.  Also, despite being decommissioned 66 essentially has become the highway that has refused to die.  The only other highways that I've ever seen come close to the same level of reverence would be The Lincoln Highway and US 99. 

edwaleni

The original IL-127 north of Greenville Illinois was laid in 1927 and it still exists. It's only 1 lane however as that was as wide as they made them back then.

My uncle said when opposing traffic would come, the rule was the northbound driver had to pull off into the grass and let the southbound go by.

It doesn't get the reverence US-66 does, but the locals won't let the county highway department tear it out. They finally had to close the bridge at IL-140, but Bond County built an access road around it so people could still drive it.

Old roads are a reminder to different eras, different ways of life. When you drove slow enough to see the world, enjoy the surroundings and not have to worry about cops running radar, left lane blockers and brake checkers.

I had the fortune of traversing the original US-66 back in 1968.  I can still recall eating some of the best fried chicken, staying at "non-chain" motor inns (with air conditioning! yahoo!) and collecting NFL themed drinking glasses at Shell gas stations along the way.

US71

Quote from: edwaleni on August 27, 2018, 12:07:05 PM
The original IL-127 north of Greenville Illinois was laid in 1927 and it still exists. It's only 1 lane however as that was as wide as they made them back then.

My uncle said when opposing traffic would come, the rule was the northbound driver had to pull off into the grass and let the southbound go by.

It doesn't get the reverence US-66 does, but the locals won't let the county highway department tear it out. They finally had to close the bridge at IL-140, but Bond County built an access road around it so people could still drive it.

Old roads are a reminder to different eras, different ways of life. When you drove slow enough to see the world, enjoy the surroundings and not have to worry about cops running radar, left lane blockers and brake checkers.

I had the fortune of traversing the original US-66 back in 1968.  I can still recall eating some of the best fried chicken, staying at "non-chain" motor inns (with air conditioning! yahoo!) and collecting NFL themed drinking glasses at Shell gas stations along the way.

I think I explored old 127 when Kim Harvey did her St Louis meet a couple years ago.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.