News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Historic US 20 Sign sightings

Started by WhitePoleRD, July 29, 2018, 01:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePoleRD

As US 20 gets it's final divided segment in Western Iowa, I noticed this in Sac County- a "Historic US 20" sign. D36 replaced 20 west of Fort Dodge to IA 471.

I'm guessing that Rockwell City and Sac City were getting hammered by lack of 20 traffic that they had to take matters into their own hands. I don't see any other counties with these signs so far, but many appear on the old US 6 route.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

NE2

It's probably from that guy who's posting them randomly including on modern US 20.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MNHighwayMan

There is a project underway to mark the old alignment of US-20 in much the same way as old US-6 is. I'm not sure the former has quite the same support and funding as the latter does/did, though.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/36568671/2017/10/11/turning-an-old-highway-into-the-new-route-66

Alex

The signing of Historic US 20 across the country is the result of Bryan Farr and the Historic US 20 Route Association. He's been traveling across the country over the last several years meeting with local officials, chamber of commerce people, etc. in an effort to bring more attention to the old route. Part of his work is to get more former alignments signed in the field with historic route markers.

US71

I saw a Historic 20 in Mentor, OH when I was up there for the bridge meet. It was rather small: I'm thinking 8x12 inches.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.