News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

Started by Revive 755, June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on September 03, 2020, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 02, 2020, 11:27:20 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on September 02, 2020, 10:33:47 PM
Item 13 on the September 2020 Letting is a building demolition contract around the City of McHenry - two on the east bank of the Fox River, one next to IL 31.  The two on the east bank are definitely in line with the ROW preserved for the west branch of the IL 53 extension.  The plan cover includes IL 53 in the title.

I've said this before, but even with the IL 53 extension effectively dead (thanks to Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods), why not still do the IL 120 improvements that connect to I-94 and maybe have a chance of one day extending that to US 12 freeway in WI? Interesting that they are still acquiring property for this.

They can't. Unlike the IL-53 extension from Lake Cook Road to IL-120, the FAP 420 ROW (west of US 12) goes through sensitive conservation areas in Volo Bog and Glacial Park, and it can't be routed around at this point.

Seriously, why are they even bothering with this? At a time when revenue is down, they should be putting their eggs elsewhere, not towards a highway that will never be built.

Like I said, interesting that they are acquiring land for this... I honestly thought it was as good as dead too. That said, it would still make sense to build even a part of it at least. That said, atr this point, it probably makes more sense to spend the money to widen the existing roadways... such as current U.S. 12 in Lake/McHenry Counties (at least 3 lanes each way up through Fox Lake and then at least 2 lanes each way to the WI border).

Lake County Transportation has the Central Lake Project on its site. It's a 10year old project essentially a Grayslake bypass paid for with tolls. It would be an electronically tolled arterial. . The only state involvement would be approving tolls. It may need their ROW though. It ends at 12 could McHenry be working with them on an extension? With IDOT helping with ROW?

JoePCool14

Quote from: 3467 on September 05, 2020, 03:36:52 PM
Lake County Transportation has the Central Lake Project on its site. It's a 10year old project essentially a Grayslake bypass paid for with tolls. It would be an electronically tolled arterial. . The only state involvement would be approving tolls. It may need their ROW though. It ends at 12 could McHenry be working with them on an extension? With IDOT helping with ROW?

A "tolled arterial"... wow. That's ridiculous. Imagine paying tolls for the "privilege" to drive US-12 between the Wisconsin border and Lake-Cook Rd.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 05, 2020, 04:35:58 PM
Quote from: 3467 on September 05, 2020, 03:36:52 PM

A "tolled arterial"... wow. That's ridiculous. Imagine paying tolls for the "privilege" to drive US-12 between the Wisconsin border and Lake-Cook Rd.
too easy to cut though parking lots / rat run side streets to get out of tolls on US-12 now maybe if they do an upper deck / lower level in parts.

Their plan is to allow access at signalized  intersections and RIROs.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: 3467 on September 06, 2020, 11:53:30 AM
Their plan is to allow access at signalized  intersections and RIROs.
tolls what about cutting the  signalized  intersections and putting in under / overpasses?

I have no idea. It looks like they may have used Longmeadow Parkway as a model?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: 3467 on September 06, 2020, 04:10:51 PM
I have no idea. It looks like they may have used Longmeadow Parkway as a model?
Longmeadow Parkway just has an toll for the bridge part

Revive 755

List of projects for the November 6, 2020 Letting is up.

Highlights
* Item 2:  Work on the US 14 bridge over the Fox River
* Item 37:  Bridge deck work on the Quincy Memorial Bridge (US 24 EB over the Mississippi)
* Item 42:  Just patching, but interesting how the interchange between I-72 and I-172 is called "the Trumpet Interchange".
* Item 63:  Deleted, but would have involved a new traffic signal at "Des Plaines River Road and Robinson" (this intersection?)
* Item 64:  Bridge and pavement replacement on EB I-80 in Joliet, seems to be near Richards Street.
* Item 65:  "Traffic Signal modernization and construction of a fiber optic communication system on Black Road from US 30 to IL 59 in Joliet"
* Item 72:  "New bridge structure carrying the future north bound traffic IL 59 over 1-55 at the interchange of IL 59 and 1-55 located in the City of Joliet, Village of Shorewood, and Troy Township."
* Item 81:  Bridge deck replacement and other pavement work for I-280 over the Mississippi to east of IL 92
* Item 94:  Removal of the Chestnut Street bridge over IL 127 in Alto Pass.
* Item 101:  New traffic signal for IL 58 at Shady Oaks Drive in Elgin (this intersection?)
* Item 106:  "Intersection Widening, milling and resurfacing, and the upgrade of existing signalized intersection on 31st Street from Meyers Road to York Road in Oak Brook"
* Item 109:  "Traffic signal replacement and installation of adaptive signal control with flashing yellow arrows on Butterfield Road from IL 137 to Allanson Road".  Would be the first flashing yellow arrow installations for Lake County.
* Item 111:  Extension of Eladmain Road near Yorkville/Plano with a new Fox River bridge.

pianocello

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 02, 2020, 11:09:42 PM
* Item 72:  "New bridge structure carrying the future north bound traffic IL 59 over 1-55 at the interchange of IL 59 and 1-55 located in the City of Joliet, Village of Shorewood, and Troy Township."

Again? Wasn't it only 10-15 years ago that they shifted the NB 55-NB 59 ramp south to its present location?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Rick Powell

Quote from: pianocello on October 03, 2020, 08:17:44 AM

Again? Wasn't it only 10-15 years ago that they shifted the NB 55-NB 59 ramp south to its present location?

There is a project to redo the interchange and extend Seil Road eastward to access some vacant land in Joliet for development, and I suspect this is part of the plan.

JoePCool14

* Item 109:  "Traffic signal replacement and installation of adaptive signal control with flashing yellow arrows on Butterfield Road from IL 137 to Allanson Road".  Would be the first flashing yellow arrow installations for Lake County.

Wow, it's about time...

Brandon

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 03, 2020, 09:06:10 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 03, 2020, 08:17:44 AM

There is a project to redo the interchange and extend Seil Road eastward to access some vacant land in Joliet for development, and I suspect this is part of the plan.

Yes, it's been in the planning stages for over 12 years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Looking over the plans for
Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 04, 2020, 01:06:39 AM

Wow, it's about time...

Two interesting things in the plans for this one:

* Pages 17 and 18 have flashing yellow arrow heads being used for the dual left from NB Butterfield Road to Allanson Road - wonder if it is for time of day operation?
* Pages 37 and 38 have flashing yellow arrows being installed at the Butterfield Road intersection with IL 176.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 19, 2020, 09:37:37 PM
Looking over the plans for
Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 04, 2020, 01:06:39 AM

Wow, it's about time...

Two interesting things in the plans for this one:

* Pages 17 and 18 have flashing yellow arrow heads being used for the dual left from NB Butterfield Road to Allanson Road - wonder if it is for time of day operation?
* Pages 37 and 38 have flashing yellow arrows being installed at the Butterfield Road intersection with IL 176.

Dual FYA permissive lefts? In Illinois? That would be very surprising and interesting.

Revive 755

List of projects for the January 15, 2021 Letting is up.

Not seeing any real standout projects so far - mostly resurfacings and other maintenance type projects.

There is a the first stage of two big projects ..well big for this era.
The tree removal in Peoria Fulton and Warren. That means the reconstruction of 67 is coming and a bridge on 24 as part of that 4 lane ....The replacement for 336...is close.
IDOT  wants trees down before spring when animals start nesting especially endangered bats.

Revive 755

^ If that is Item 34, based on the description, only the work on US 24 looks like could be advance work for the four lane project.

Quote from: Item 34 DescriptionThis project consists of tree removal and other collateral work located along US 24 at Copperas Creek near Banner in Fulton County, along US 67 north of Monmouth in Warren County, and along IL 40 between Northmoor Road and Mt. Hawley in Peoria County.

Interesting that there is a pay item listed for detour signing.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 04, 2020, 11:18:26 PM

Not seeing any real standout projects so far - mostly resurfacings and other maintenance type projects.

Item 75 is a resurfacing on I-55 in Will County near Arsenal Road.  That section of I-55 just can't catch a break from being subject to constant road construction.  Also-- what the heck is a SMART overlay? My potentially dubious name detectors are going off.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

quickshade

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 07, 2020, 06:17:25 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 04, 2020, 11:18:26 PM

Item 75 is a resurfacing on I-55 in Will County near Arsenal Road.  That section of I-55 just can't catch a break from being subject to constant road construction.  Also-- what the heck is a SMART overlay? My potentially dubious name detectors are going off.

52-5.02(k) Surface Maintenance at the Right Time Overlay
The combination of cold milling and the application of a Surface Maintenance at the Right Time
(SMART) overlay is a viable option for improving rideability, surface friction, profile, crown, and
cross slope. The following provides additional information and considerations for use of this
treatment:
1. Treatment Description. SMART overlays may be continuous or intermittent and consist
of placing a 1.50 in. (38 mm) (1.75 in. (44 mm) for F-mix) single-pass overlay on a
previously resurfaced pavement that is not in need of significant repair and is in good
condition. If the SMART overlay is applied at the correct time, it can delay serious
distresses, extend the life of the pavement, and decrease the overall cost.
Illinois PAVEMENT PRESERVATION March 2017
52-5.13 HARD COPIES UNCONTROLLED
2. Pavement Conditions Addressed. SMART Overlay can be used to address low-severity
cracking, raveling/weathering, friction loss, roughness, low-severity flushing/bleeding,
and low-severity block cracking. Thin overlays may also be used to correct rutting
(requires use of separate rut-fill application).
3. Application Limitations. The selection criteria for SMART projects are presented in
Figure 52-5.B. SMART overlays are not allowed on Interstate highways or bare PCC
pavements. Four-lane routes, with the exception of Interstates, may be considered if the
two-lane truck and patching directional criteria presented in Figure 52-5.B are met. Also,
consider ramps and unmarked narrow pavements that do not have excessive rutting or
shoving for SMART projects. Consider local SMART project participation on a case-bycase basis. For rural facilities, ensure that the section is at least 1.0 mile (1.6 km) in
length. If deviations from these criteria are necessary, contact BDE for approval.
4. Pavement Distress. SMART overlays are also not recommended where there are
structural failures (e.g., fatigue cracking), excessive rutting, extensive pavement
deterioration, or if there is high-severity thermal cracking. Pavements with these
significant distresses (e.g., CRS distress levels L3, L4, O4, T2, T3, T4) are not eligible.
The surface should be uniform to ensure uniform compaction.
5. Construction Considerations. Surface must be clean. A tack coat prior to overlay
placement will help improve the bond to the existing surface. SMART overlays dissipate
heat rapidly and, therefore, depend upon minimum specified mix placement
temperatures and timely compaction.
6. Traffic Considerations. Performance is not affected by different ADT or percent trucks.
7. Special Considerations. Repair localized distressed areas prior to the placement of the
overlay. If milling is not used in conjunction with the SMART overlay, give special
consideration to bump grinding prior to treatment placement.
8. Curb Ramps. Refer to Section 58-1.09(a) regarding curb ramps.
9. Existing Public Educational Facility Entrances. If surface deficiencies in such entrances
exist, repairs/resurfacing should be extended to the right-of-way limits and be consistent
with other SMART criteria.
10. Performance Period. 7 to 10 years.
11. Relative Cost ($ to $$$$). $$$

I had to look it up also  :hmmm:

https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Doing-Business/Manuals-Split/Design-And-Environment/BDE-Manual/Chapter%2052%20Pavement%20Preservation.pdf

Revive 755

List of projects for the March 5, 2021 Letting is up

* Item 10 is a new roundabout for the US 6 intersection with IL 178 north of Utica

* Item 15 is 4.5 miles of widening and resurfacing on US 67 in Warren County

* Item 46 (already deleted) would have been RCUT intersections for IL 13/IL 127 the Ava Road and Grange Hill Road intersections.

* Item 82 is bridge deck repairs for I-55 around the IL 54 interchange

* Item 147 appears to be for a 'Metra access road' in Barrington, possibly with a new traffic signal

Rick Powell

Wow, the roundabout plan set is 137 sheets. This location has never worked well, especially with the wildly fluctuating traffic volumes from being near Starved Rock state park, where holiday and event traffic can be 10x the normal load. First it was a 4 way stop, currently a temporary signal controlled intersection with those annoying left arrows where there is no LT lane. The roundabout should show substantial improvement in traffic flow.

At one time, a conventional signalized intersection with turn lanes was proposed here, based on the needs of the "Utica Logistics Park" that was to come in the northeast corner of the intersection with big-box warehouses and the like. A water tower was put in, but the development (other than a new Dollar General) never materialized.

I wonder why they cancelled the intersections . Are they going to 4 lane that section?
67 in Warren is really needed. I look forward to the details.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: 3467 on January 30, 2021, 08:06:26 PM
I wonder why they cancelled the intersections . Are they going to 4 lane that section?

Is the section of US 67 to be widened the 2-lane alignment north of US 34 in Monmouth?

I-39

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on January 30, 2021, 08:24:05 PM
Quote from: 3467 on January 30, 2021, 08:06:26 PM

Is the section of US 67 to be widened the 2-lane alignment north of US 34 in Monmouth?

No, north of Monmouth has been long dead to my knowledge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.