News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New design USA flag coming?

Started by mgk920, June 12, 2017, 01:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: LM117 on June 17, 2020, 08:26:37 PM
Eh, just give DC a representative in the House and call it a day. Unlike Puerto Rico, at least they can vote in Presidential elections, so they're still a step above PR and other territories.

Better idea: Take away their electoral votes, but make them exempt from federal income tax so as to address their gripe about "taxation without representation." I'd move to DC if they did that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 17, 2020, 09:19:47 PM
Eh, just give DC a representative in the House and call it a day. Unlike Puerto Rico, at least they can vote in Presidential elections, so they're still a step above PR and other territories.

Better idea: Take away their electoral votes, but make them exempt from federal income tax so as to address their gripe about "taxation without representation." I'd move to DC if they did that.
I'm sure that the democrats would be thrilled to lose 3 guaranteed electoral votes.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2020, 09:27:07 PM

I'm sure that the democrats would be thrilled to lose 3 guaranteed electoral votes.

I'm going to refrain from responding due to the forum's rules about political discussion, as I don't feel I can respond without making snide comments (not directed at you).

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2020, 09:12:09 PM
What about the senate?

no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate  Constitution, Article V

I think granting DC representation in the Senate would be interpreted as diluting the representation of the States in the Senate, and therefore banned and not subject to constitutional amendment unless it was passed unanimously by all 50 states.

LM117

What about the senate?

That would require statehood, and honestly, I think it's overkill for one city to become a state, regardless of political affiliation.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hotdogPi

Quote from: LM117 on June 18, 2020, 08:35:22 AM
I think it's overkill for one city to become a state, regardless of political affiliation.

Mexico City and Berlin are both states in their own countries.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2020, 08:37:35 AM
I think it's overkill for one city to become a state, regardless of political affiliation.

Mexico City is not a state. It used to be the Distrito Federal, similar to Washington DC, but its status has changed slightly. It's still not a state, however, because the Mexican constitution prohibits it from being one for reasons similar to why the US Constitution has the provision giving Congress exclusive jurisdiction over what we now know as Washington DC.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 18, 2020, 08:39:50 AM

Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2020, 08:37:35 AM

Mexico City is not a state. It used to be the Distrito Federal, similar to Washington DC, but its status has changed slightly. It's still not a state, however, because the Mexican constitution prohibits it from being one for reasons similar to why the US Constitution has the provision giving Congress exclusive jurisdiction over what we now know as Washington DC.

Mexico City, while not formally a state, is equal to a state in nearly every respect.  Pertinent to the topic of conversation, Mexico City has full representation in both chambers of congress.  27 of the 500 seats in the lower house (allocated by population) represent electoral districts of Mexico City, and 3 of the 128 seats in the upper house (equal to that of any other state) represent Mexico City.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kkt on June 17, 2020, 11:43:52 PM
What about the senate?

no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate  Constitution, Article V

I think granting DC representation in the Senate would be interpreted as diluting the representation of the States in the Senate, and therefore banned and not subject to constitutional amendment unless it was passed unanimously by all 50 states.

Although even so, it still would not be unequal, but I feel like this discussion has happened before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on June 17, 2020, 11:43:52 PM
What about the senate?

Wouldn't you only need 3/4 of the states? Also doesn't adding a new state also dilute each states representation?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2020, 02:17:39 PM
Wouldn't you only need 3/4 of the states? Also doesn't adding a new state also dilute each states representation?
If you presume that giving DC senators would be a problem that would trigger the Article 5 ban on amending the Constitution to create unequal representation in the Senate, then the remaining 1/4 states would not be "no state".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Yeah.  You, me, and about two-hundred million others.   :-D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: renegade on June 18, 2020, 03:34:44 PM

Does nobody care about voting anymore? That's 2/3 of the US!

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2020, 04:25:21 PM
Does nobody care about voting anymore?

According to the statistics, clearly not...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2020, 04:25:21 PM
Quote from: renegade on June 18, 2020, 03:34:44 PM

Does nobody care about voting anymore? That's 2/3 of the US!

I do, but if I had the choice between not paying federal income tax and giving up my vote....

mrsman

The only solution to dc statehood that I se is a constitutional amendment

The people in DC should have a member of Congress and they should join with the people of Maryland to vote for a senator.  Since Maryland it's also highly democratic doing this won't upset the balance of power in the Senate could be something that would be possible.  They have been amendments before to give DC voting rights in presidential elections.

Statehood would not be good because even very local things could affect the operations of the federal government.  I am sure that many suburban residents who work in DC realize but one immediate consequence DC statehood it's some type of commuter tax.  The lack of DC statehood allows for the current regime where you only pay the income taxes for your state of residence in all three local jurisdictions.  A state of DC could also very likely impose tolls which could also hamper the operations of the government

I believe the people in DC should have representation at the federal level but it has to be reasonable.  For many it is unreasonable for a city that is relatively small and a geographic scale to have equal representation with with our states and in the US Senate.  But if they were allowed to vote with Maryland residence for Senate I don't believe that would be any objections.

Nexus 5X

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mrsman on June 19, 2020, 12:08:21 PM
The only solution to dc statehood that I se is a constitutional amendment

The people in DC should have a member of Congress and they should join with the people of Maryland to vote for a senator.  Since Maryland it's also highly democratic doing this won't upset the balance of power in the Senate could be something that would be possible.  They have been amendments before to give DC voting rights in presidential elections.

Statehood would not be good because even very local things could affect the operations of the federal government.  I am sure that many suburban residents who work in DC realize but one immediate consequence DC statehood it's some type of commuter tax.  The lack of DC statehood allows for the current regime where you only pay the income taxes for your state of residence in all three local jurisdictions.  A state of DC could also very likely impose tolls which could also hamper the operations of the government

I believe the people in DC should have representation at the federal level but it has to be reasonable.  For many it is unreasonable for a city that is relatively small and a geographic scale to have equal representation with with our states and in the US Senate.  But if they were allowed to vote with Maryland residence for Senate I don't believe that would be any objections.

Nexus 5X

That is the optimal solution, but in this political environment I don't see any constitutional amendments coming anytime soon. Retroceding most of DC to Maryland is the next best solution.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Plus, as has already been discussed, it remains unclear that such an amendment could even be added.  It's a theoretical possibility, but the constitutionality of it would ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court.  Article I Section III is shielded from amendment by Article V.  The supposition that Article V, an entrenchment clause, can itself be amended remains untested.
Male pronouns, please.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LM117 on June 27, 2020, 12:33:58 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 17, 2020, 07:25:37 AM
The House is planning to vote on a DC statehood bill next week, even though it's DOA in the Senate...

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/16/878110986/house-democrats-aiming-to-make-a-point-plan-vote-on-d-c-statehood

It passed.

https://wtop.com/congress/2020/06/intense-house-debate-precedes-vote-on-bill-to-make-d-c-51st-state/amp/
It won't pass the senate so they should have waited and hoped that they got a majority and Biden in office until they passed the bill.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 27, 2020, 02:53:39 PM
The House is planning to vote on a DC statehood bill next week, even though it's DOA in the Senate...

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/16/878110986/house-democrats-aiming-to-make-a-point-plan-vote-on-d-c-statehood

It passed.

https://wtop.com/congress/2020/06/intense-house-debate-precedes-vote-on-bill-to-make-d-c-51st-state/amp/
It won't pass the senate so they should have waited and hoped that they got a majority and Biden in office until they passed the bill.
...unless there are congresspeople who have an interest in both showing support foe it and seeing it fail in the Senate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on June 27, 2020, 03:32:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 27, 2020, 02:53:39 PM

It passed.

...unless there are congresspeople who have an interest in both showing support foe it and seeing it fail in the Senate.
Only democrats voted for the bill.

wxfree

A simple solution is to put all residential areas back in Maryland.  It would probably net them a house district.  Then, only governmental land would be in the federal district and there would be no residents in areas outside of a state.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.