News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

The sign prior to this one was also Mobile per GMSV so if it was Biloxi it was short-lived.  Perhaps Mobile was misspelled...

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

plain

Saw this yesterday in Charlottesville. It turns out there are NUMEROUS state named shields in the Charlottesville area, most of which is inside city limits

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

csw

This is one of 4 I found today at the I-64/US 250/Blue Ridge Parkway interchange near Waynesboro. I believe 61 spec but they're not very old. Two older ones at the same location have been replaced in the last few years.

I-66 trailblazer in Warrenton. No idea how old it is.

This photo was taken last summer, but upon revisiting a week or two ago, this I-94 trailblazer heading towards Goose Island had been replaced.

csw

I'll keep this thread floating if no one else will. Two of four I-83's I found yesterday in downtown Baltimore.

Jacob

Here's a picture of my I-94 shield from the state of Illinois. It measures 18x18 inches, which is an unusual size. Anyone know what specification it is? My best guess is 1957 or 1961? I'm not sure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182395852@N05/48189680391/in/album-72157709408327732/

csw

Here's a good description from early in the thread. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12304.msg2002887#msg2002887

To me it looks like an attempt to recreate a 57 spec, but the text "Illinois" is a little too big. Scroll up a few posts to see a photo of what I'm pretty sure is a 1961 spec Illinois I-94 shield.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's much of a difference between 2di shields in the 1957/1961 specs.

Jacob

Quote from: csw on July 04, 2019, 08:32:24 PM
Here's a good description from early in the thread. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12304.msg2002887#msg2002887

To me it looks like an attempt to recreate a 57 spec, but the text "Illinois" is a little too big. Scroll up a few posts to see a photo of what I'm pretty sure is a 1961 spec Illinois I-94 shield.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's much of a difference between 2di shields in the 1957/1961 specs.
It's a real sign, it came from eBay. I also have noticed that the state name text is a little large, which is unusual. What's even more unusual to me is that it measures 18x18 inches instead of 24x24 inches.

csw

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2019, 08:42:51 PM

It's a real sign, it came from eBay. I also have noticed that the state name text is a little large, which is unusual. What's even more unusual to me is that it measures 18x18 inches instead of 24x24 inches.
No I understand that it's a real sign, there's no doubt about that. I meant it was probably manufactured later than the 1960s but whoever made it tried to match it to the older spec. As far as the smaller size, I have no idea. But I'd argue it's more proof that the shield is newer than the 60s.

Jacob

Quote from: csw on July 04, 2019, 08:47:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2019, 08:42:51 PM

No I understand that it's a real sign, there's no doubt about that. I meant it was probably manufactured later than the 1960s but whoever made it tried to match it to the older spec. As far as the smaller size, I have no idea. But I'd argue it's more proof that the shield is newer than the 60s.
If that was the case that's pretty neat! To me it's unique, as I have never seen one like it. As soon as I saw it go up, I jumped at it. Would you say $80 was a fair price for it? It's the most I've ever paid for a sign.

csw

Are you deleting and resubmitting your post? I saw your question, I don't have an answer for you, I've never bought a sign. Maybe someone else who has experience with that can help.

csw

As far as I know state-name shields in Oregon are stupidly rare (that photo is from 2007 and the most recent one on the shield gallery is 2008). The one you cited looks old enough to be an original, so I'd say that's enough evidence to call yours 57 spec. Although I still think yours was actually manufactured much more recently than that.

csw

Nope, now we're entering territory I absolutely know nothing about.

paulthemapguy

Not a great shot, but I did spot this state-named shield in Gillette, Wyoming, last year:

WY-059-I-90NJ by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

csw

A few more I haven't posted from the past few months.

A filthy I-83 in Harrisburg:

I-81 approaching Binghamton:

At the northern end of Skyline Drive in Front Royal:

csw

Spotted in Abingdon, VA, last week.

csw

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM

Also I'd like to bump/update this map again...a few changes I would make:
- Washington, New York, North Carolina, and (maybe) Indiana to red. They're the same as Illinois and Maryland in that outside of a few old installs in the big cities, there are none. Which I would consider "virtually none".
- Change all of the blue and brown states to yellow.
- Change New Mexico and Colorado to green (up for debate).

For the sake of argument for the first point, here's the tallies of ones I know of in some of those cities.
- Chicago, IL: 3 (I'm sure there are more out there, though)
- Baltimore, MD: 4
- Indianapolis, IN: 16 (there are probably a few more around I-465)
- Seattle, WA: I've seen photos of maybe 1 or 2 on the board.
- New York, NY: I've seen photos of 1 or 2. I know of 2-3 more in random parts of the state.

Scott5114

Maps like that one bother me when they don't have the nuance to express "state name shields are posted in X situation but not Y". For instance, Oklahoma nearly always posts state-name shields at ground level, but on BGSes they often don't. In Kansas, KDOT frequently posts state name shields, but KTA very rarely does. Both of these just get coded as "Widespread" on a map.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: csw on December 24, 2019, 02:13:49 PM

There are probably 30 or 40 (or more) state-named shields in Seattle alone.

sprjus4

Revive 755

For the sake of argument for the first point, here's the tallies of ones I know of in some of those cities.

If that's for the City of Chicago, maybe.  If it includes the suburbs, it's low.  I think there are still a few older shields with the state name on non-IDOT roadways in the suburbs.
63rd Street at I-355
Maple Avenue at I-355

StogieGuy7

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM

Also I'd like to bump/update this map again...a few changes I would make:
- Washington, New York, North Carolina, and (maybe) Indiana to red. They're the same as Illinois and Maryland in that outside of a few old installs in the big cities, there are none. Which I would consider "virtually none".
- Change all of the blue and brown states to yellow.
- Change New Mexico and Colorado to green (up for debate).

- Baltimore, MD: 4
- Indianapolis, IN: 16 (there are probably a few more around I-465)
- New York, NY: I've seen photos of 1 or 2. I know of 2-3 more in random parts of the state.

Just based on personal travels over the past year, I'd recommend changing CT to yellow (because that state name is not always on the shield, they seem inconsistent now); GA, CO and NM to green (virtually always - at least on badges - and on many BGS too). 

And this one is an honest question: how do we know that states like MO and IA have stopped placing the state name on the interstate badge?  Couldn't it be a case of having a contractor produce badges for a period of time? Do we know it's a permanent thing?  Because, having driven through both states, most badges do have the state name on the shield - but I've seen one or two without. Hard to tell without living there, I suppose.

Revive 755

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 06, 2020, 03:50:23 PM
And this one is an honest question: how do we know that states like MO and IA have stopped placing the state name on the interstate badge?  Couldn't it be a case of having a contractor produce badges for a period of time? Do we know it's a permanent thing?  Because, having driven through both states, most badges do have the state name on the shield - but I've seen one or two without. Hard to tell without living there, I suppose.

For Missouri, every time I've been there for the past few years the number of state-named shields has been less.  It's enough of a reduction to be noticeable and also appears to be happening when signs are changed out.  Plus there's the lack of state named shields on I-49.

formulanone

Found a state-named I-65 shield in Indianapolis:

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: formulanone on January 21, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
Found a state-named I-65 shield in Indianapolis:

Where'd you find this at?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.