News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most iconic news anchors in your area

Started by Billy F 1988, January 12, 2024, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

bing101

Quote from: GaryV on January 14, 2024, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 13, 2024, 08:50:25 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 12, 2024, 03:48:40 PM
Former ones in Detroit: Mort Crim (supposed inspiration for Ron Burgundy in Anchorman), Carman Harlan, Bill Bonds

Current: would definitely have to include Devin Scillian, who replaced Crim. I don't watch enough news to know other current anchors.
Wait I thought Ron Burgundy was based on Harold Greene who was a news anchor in Los Angeles. I don't think the Ron Burgundy reference is Mort Crim though. Also I heard Paul Moyer was a reference for Ron Burgundy.
And I always thought it was Bill Bonds. Per Wikipedia, Will Ferrell supposedly said it was Crim. But that was years after the fact.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_Crim  So he may have been thinking of someone else by then.
https://whatculture.com/film/15-things-you-didnt-know-about-anchorman-the-legend-of-ron-burgundy?page=2
Yes the producers of Ron Burgundy looked at old clips of Harold Greene when he was in San Diego and Los Angeles in the 1970's.

Sctvhound

Charleston has had several. Bill Sharpe on WCSC just retired, he had been main news anchor for almost 45 years until he retired a couple years ago. Debi Chard his co-anchor was on for nearly 30 years. Carolyn Murray has been on NBC WCBD for close to 20 years, and was on the CBS WCSC for about 10 years prior to that.

Bill Walsh has been the chief meteorologist on WCSC since 1997, and has been in the market close to 40 years now. His counterpart on WCBD, Rob Fowler, has been chief since 1987.

WCIV's Dean Stephens started in sports, then moved to news in 2002, and he retired about a year ago. He was in the market over 30 years.

TheHighwayMan3561

MSP: Don Shelby and Dave Moore (both WCCO, CBS station), Paul Magers (KARE, NBC station)

Duluth: Dennis Anderson (WDIO, ABC station)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2024, 01:59:04 PM
I don't think any of our current anchors have reached that status. The late Jim Vance, who was the longtime anchor on the local NBC affiliate (Channel 4), is probably the most iconic in recent years (and the fact that Vance, a black man, was popular with all demographics in the DC area surely helped). Prior to him, the now-retired Gordon Peterson, who was the chief anchor on Channel 9 (CBS) for many years before moving to Channel 7 (ABC), probably qualified.

If you've seen the video of sportscaster George Michael and his colleague laughing at a model who fell down multiple times on a runway, you've seen Jim Vance.

What you said (nobody really qualifies right now, especially after Vance died) is why I didn't answer. I might add Maureen Bunyan, her story is close to Gordon Peterson (Channel 9 to Channel 7, at least in my memory, but she left both stations before he did).

I can never say (the now-retired) Doreen Genzler since she was also in Philadelphia for several years when I was there -- when I moved to DC I turned on Channel 4 and it was like, oh that's where you are now. But we settled on watching Channel 4 mainly because of the familiarity of both Genzler and George Michael (who I knew from his syndicated "Sports Machine" show), and Jim Vance (not familiar to us) who we generally liked a lot.

wriddle082

Nashville's most iconic was the entire WSMV lineup through most of the 80's, 90's, and a good chunk of the 00's: Dan Miller and Demetria Kalidimos with news, Bill Hall with weather, and Rudy Kalis with sports.

Dan started in 1969 and left Nashville for a while starting in 1986 to go to KCBS in Los Angeles, but that didn't last long.  Then he was sidekick to Pat Sajak on the short-lived, ill-fated The Pat Sajak Show on CBS.  Afterwards, he eventually made his way back to Nashville and did a weekly interview show, and finally in 1996 he regained the anchor seat from the guy who replaced him.  Sadly, Dan passed away in April of 2009, collapsing from a major heart attack while walking down the street in his hometown of Augusta, GA.  He was with Rudy Kalis and another WSMV reporter, and they were in town covering The Masters Golf Tournament.

Demetria stayed with WSMV from 1984 to 2012 (she was unceremoniously allowed to let her contract expire, and she later sued for age discrimination and won).  Bill Hall and Rudy Kalis both started in 1974, with Bill retiring in 2005 and Rudy in 2017.

Both WKRN and WTVF have also had iconic news personalities (Bob Mueller and Anne Holt on WKRN and Chris Clark on WTVF), but no one full team had the staying power of the WSMV dream team.  They dominated in the ratings through the 80's, but started to lose momentum in the 90's during Dan's absence.  After Dan passed away and Bill retired, and the controversial way that Demetria was let go, WSMV has been no higher than third place, with WTVF usually in first place and WKRN a close second place.

bing101

For New York specifically it's Bill Beutel, Diana Williams, Roz Abrams, Ernie Anastos, Liz Cho, Bill Ritter, who are legends in the area.

bing101

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 15, 2024, 12:36:46 PM
MSP: Don Shelby and Dave Moore (both WCCO, CBS station), Paul Magers (KARE, NBC station)

Duluth: Dennis Anderson (WDIO, ABC station)
Paul Magers he later went to Los Angeles on KCBS-TV.

frankenroad

In Cincinnati, it has to be Al Schottelkotte, who was on Channel 9 from the 1950s to the 1990s.

to this day, if you say to someone, "it's 11:00", you very well might hear them reply, "... and time for the Al Schottelkotte News", even though he's been off the air for almost 30 years.

The only other one in my mind who comes close is Nick Clooney (George's father & Rosemary's brother), who was on Channel 12 for many years. He just celebrated his 90th birthday.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rothman

Quote from: bing101 on January 15, 2024, 02:57:15 PM
For New York specifically it's Bill Beutel, Diana Williams, Roz Abrams, Ernie Anastos, Liz Cho, Bill Ritter, who are legends in the area.
Yolanda Vega
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tmoore952

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 14, 2024, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 14, 2024, 02:32:50 PM
Here in the Delaware Valley it could only be John Facenda of WCAU-TV.  He was also the Voice of NFL Films.

Don't forget Jim Gardner of WPVI (ABC-6).

[Reposting since I now point to video of Lennon on WPVI in 1975]

Jessica Savitch (KYW-TV, and later on NBC) is arguably iconic also, but in a different way.

Larry Kane if for nothing else than anchoring at all 3 non-Fox stations (at different times. of course).

On a side note, Kane was also on the Beatles early tours and has written books about that. On a personal note, when John Lennon was in Philadelphia for a radio telethon on Friday May 16, 1975, Kane invited Lennon to come on the newscast (Channel 6 WPVI) and present the weather. I saw this broadcast live as it happened. It wasn't until several years later that I realized what I had seen, although I do remember my older siblings (who were also watching) murmering among themselves as this was going on.
Videos of this TV appearance by Lennon on WPVI's newscast exist - google "lennon weather may 16 1975".

jp the roadgeek

Hartford/New Haven

Al Terzi, Pat Sheehan, Don Lark, Gayle King (yes, that Gayle King), and Denise D'Ascenzo

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mr. Matté

bing101

Kaity Tong who is best known as a New York TV Legend for her roles at WABC-TV and WPIX had a stint at KCRA-TV Sacramento in 1980.

JMoses24

Quote from: frankenroad on January 15, 2024, 03:17:28 PM
In Cincinnati, it has to be Al Schottelkotte, who was on Channel 9 from the 1950s to the 1990s.

to this day, if you say to someone, "it's 11:00", you very well might hear them reply, "... and time for the Al Schottelkotte News", even though he's been off the air for almost 30 years.

The only other one in my mind who comes close is Nick Clooney (George's father & Rosemary's brother), who was on Channel 12 for many years. He just celebrated his 90th birthday.

Jerry Springer would also have fit the bill with WLWT.

For the other stations, names you might think of would be Rob Williams and Tricia Macke with WXIX (FOX 19) who are still there 30 plus years on, or Rob Braun and several others who remained with WKRC for over 25 years, including John Lomax, Cammy Dierking and Kit Andrews, all of whom have now retired from TV news.

Takumi

I think the closest Richmond has had to an "iconic" anchor is WTVR's Cheryl Miller.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JMoses24

Quote from: JMoses24 on March 09, 2024, 06:53:39 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on January 15, 2024, 03:17:28 PM

Jerry Springer would also have fit the bill with WLWT.

For the other stations, names you might think of would be Rob Williams and Tricia Macke with WXIX (FOX 19) who are still there 30 plus years on, or Rob Braun and several others who remained with WKRC for over 25 years, including John Lomax, Cammy Dierking and Kit Andrews, all of whom have now retired from TV news.

John Lomax, who worked at WKRC for 39 years, was one of the names I mentioned above.

Sadly, he passed on Tuesday, March 12 at 72, due to complications from pneumonia.

JayhawkCO

For Denver, I'd say Gary Shapiro, recently retired (and also a family friend).

bing101

Here is Roz Abrams as an anchor at KRON San Francisco before she made it big in New York.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.