News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2019, 11:49:23 AM
Yeah I moved in around the site and saw, but it does not answer why the land is not upset in the last Google image it shows no work has yet started.  Its obviously behind in schedule if they want to make it done in the time slated which I think is 2022.  Yes it can be done, but usually to redo some interchanges like this one in a four season environment would take four years to complete.  The deadline here is 3 years from now.
If Google is behind, it must mean progress is behind. 🤦

OldJerseyGuy

Quote from: famartin on August 22, 2019, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2019, 11:49:23 AM
Yeah I moved in around the site and saw, but it does not answer why the land is not upset in the last Google image it shows no work has yet started.  Its obviously behind in schedule if they want to make it done in the time slated which I think is 2022.  Yes it can be done, but usually to redo some interchanges like this one in a four season environment would take four years to complete.  The deadline here is 3 years from now.

I went thru there last year, plenty of construction along nearby 46. I think it was this project.

The Google Maps aerial view of the area appears to be two years or more old.
The new service road (CR 709/Great Notch Rd.) paralleling US 46 WB has been paved, striped and signed, but is not yet connected to Valley Rd. or Rifle Camp Rd. The new exit ramp from US 46 WB, which will allow US 46 traffic access to Valley, Clove and Rifle Camp Rds. is in place, as is the companion entrance ramp; neither has yet been connected.
I went by this afternoon and noticed that they have removed the pavement from the current ramp from US 46 WB to Rifle Camp Rd. (the Great Notch/Cedar Grove exit shown in the second picture), apparently preparatory to extending CR 709 to Rifle Camp Rd. Traffic signals are in place at the intersection of CR 709 and the US 46 WB exit ramp and at the intersection of Valley Rd. and the current US 46 WB exit ramps. The latter are supposed to be temporary until a roundabout is constructed, but there is suspicion they may be permanent.
The Rifle Camp Rd. bridge has been demolished and replaced. It is open to traffic, but appears still to need some work. The new Clove Rd. bridge (abutments shown in the first picture beyond the BGS) is in place, but not yet open. A roundabout has been constructed at the south end of the bridge to serve Clove Rd., the ramps to and from US 46 EB and the Overlook complex. Construction has also been ongoing realigning the utility infrastructure that is being affected.
The project was delayed several months due to funding problems in the Christie Administration. I think Contract B will be let early next year, but I am skeptical that construction will be finished by 2022. Whatever happens, it will be a major headache.

Mr. Matté

Looks like there's finally been an update in the Straight Line Diagrams for 2019:

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/_Booklet.pdf

The piece of info that gives this away is Route 18's extension to I-287 (with the Possumtown Road branch being "18 Spur").  Even Middlesex County's previous hodgepodge of incorrect information has been (at least partially) corrected. Parsonage and Perrineville (630 and 625 respectively) are now correct.

NJRoadfan

They corrected a ton of Union County 600 series routes as well. There are still some errors, mostly showing routes that were truncated years ago.

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 05, 2019, 05:11:31 PM
Looks like there's finally been an update in the Straight Line Diagrams for 2019:

The piece of info that gives this away is Route 18's extension to I-287 (with the Possumtown Road branch being "18 Spur").  Even Middlesex County's previous hodgepodge of incorrect information has been (at least partially) corrected. Parsonage and Perrineville (630 and 625 respectively) are now correct.
That solves the mystery of the two 18s, then. Is there still a Middlesex 807? (On my phone at the moment so can't easily check.)

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on September 05, 2019, 10:10:39 PM

That solves the mystery of the two 18s, then. Is there still a Middlesex 807? (On my phone at the moment so can't easily check.)

No. But there are a bunch of four digit county routes. I'm guessing secret unsigned designations for random roads that still fall under county purview.

NJRoadfan

Middlesex County's actual route log doesn't give route numbers for most of the roads within county parks. Somehow they came over to the SLD with 4-digit route numbers.

Roadgeek Adam

You know why there's no CR 807?

Because it's now CR 632.

Those 4 digit ones in the 1600s are the ones in Donaldson Park in Highland Park, where I grew up. They appear to be county park roads which explains why the CR 657s have blown up. Roosevelt Park has a ton of roads.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

KEVIN_224

4-digit state route listings? I thought that was just in PA? CT has so-called "secret" or S.R. routes. I've seen "S.R. 911" on an I-84 overpass by the Bethel/Danbury city line. Our highest signed route is 372, which runs from near the Plainville/Bristol city line east-southeast to Cromwell (going through New Britain and Berlin on the way)

jeffandnicole

Even though it's dated March, 2019, Enlarged View 49 is out of date.  In 2018 the intersection lane distribution was modified and jughandle from 73 South to Fellowship Road was greatly lengthened.  The imagery is much older; older than summer of 2017, when a Walmart was being built on the SW corner of 73 & Fellowship.  That Walmart opened last year.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 06, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
4-digit state route listings? I thought that was just in PA? CT has so-called "secret" or S.R. routes. I've seen "S.R. 911" on an I-84 overpass by the Bethel/Danbury city line. Our highest signed route is 372, which runs from near the Plainville/Bristol city line east-southeast to Cromwell (going through New Britain and Berlin on the way)

CT has the secret routes from 400-900.

And no, Jersey doesn't have any of those, it's just Middlesex County's entries all of a sudden have 4-digit CR listings.

Also, Middlesex 700-702 are gone.
Adam Seth Moss

KEVIN_224

It's definitely "S.R. 911". The Newtown Road overpass on I-84, in Danbury, soon after the city line, heading west.

famartin

You haven't been to VA much, have you?  Lots of 4 digit routes, a few 5 digits.  Of course, outside of legal cities and some towns, nearly every road is a state route.

KEVIN_224

I've only been in Arlington and Alexandria for the whole state. Alexandria was 30 years ago. Last visit to Arlington was in May of 2015.

famartin

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 06, 2019, 04:19:54 PM
I've only been in Arlington and Alexandria for the whole state. Alexandria was 30 years ago. Last visit to Arlington was in May of 2015.

Oh, and Arlington is an odd exception to that rule.  But if you wander just over to Fairfax, you'll see almost every street has a number.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 06, 2019, 01:32:41 AM
You know why there's no CR 807?

Because it's now CR 632.

Those 4 digit ones in the 1600s are the ones in Donaldson Park in Highland Park, where I grew up. They appear to be county park roads which explains why the CR 657s have blown up. Roosevelt Park has a ton of roads.

I didn't know the Roosevelt Park roadways had actual county route designations. There are several roads there that are used more as through roads than anything else.

Also interesting to me how Middlesex County has two different 602's and several 675's. You don't usually see counties doubling up on county routes.

jp the roadgeek

I've seen 4 digit state routes in North Dakota.  Pretty sure there's a Route 1804 and 1806.

The highest SR in CT is SR 921, which is relatively new, and is a part of the newer Exit 50 offramp from I-95 North created with the Q-bridge reconstruction.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

I think this thread is derailed.  We are now out of state, though with everyone's opinion of NJ these days being that it changed to the average citizen there to want to leave lol, this thread should not leave there. :-D

Yes, I know you can get distracted with someone else bringing up a point as it has all happened to each one of us at times, but remember this is New Jersey here and anything roads with that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 06, 2019, 12:59:59 PM
And no, Jersey doesn't have any of those, it's just Middlesex County's entries all of a sudden have 4-digit CR listings.

CR 700 (Marlboro Road) has been rechristened CR 631 though only on a portion of the road; the part between the southerly Route 18 intersection and near Maple Street is not part of the county route though I think either late last year or early this year the county resurfaced that portion. 701 and 702 were just random roads on Rutgers Livingston Campus that weren't county-maintained anyway so no real loss (except for the time in my New Jersey Geography elective course I took there, we were asked to name the closest interstate, US, state, and county route to you, I said "701" and the course instructor, the State Climatologist David Robinson, looked at me like I had three heads).

Checking all of the state and 500 county routes this past weekend (par-tay!), the only major state route change was the elimination of 171 in New Brunswick. Some state roads that were previously listed as municipal or county jurisdiction (28 in Plainfield, 12 & 29 in Frenchtown) are now listed as NJDOT but I bet these are just errors. A couple of 500 routes were extended (533, 535, 539, 577), the 537/547 swap around Eatontown/Long Branch is sort of codified, and some random spur/alternate routes were added. While Middlesex and Somerset's 600 series appear to be corrected, Burlington seems to still have some errors (no Stage Road CR 655 in Bass River Twp., CR 693 is still Cedar Lane Extension between 543 and 660 per state while the county's map show it within the nearby landfill).

Roadgeek Adam

Middlesex 692 was also extended.

Regardless, yes, I grew up in Highland Park, I know what 701 and 702 were. Not that they were all that important.
Adam Seth Moss

storm2k

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 09, 2019, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 06, 2019, 12:59:59 PM

CR 700 (Marlboro Road) has been rechristened CR 631 though only on a portion of the road; the part between the southerly Route 18 intersection and near Maple Street is not part of the county route though I think either late last year or early this year the county resurfaced that portion. 701 and 702 were just random roads on Rutgers Livingston Campus that weren't county-maintained anyway so no real loss (except for the time in my New Jersey Geography elective course I took there, we were asked to name the closest interstate, US, state, and county route to you, I said "701" and the course instructor, the State Climatologist David Robinson, looked at me like I had three heads).

Checking all of the state and 500 county routes this past weekend (par-tay!), the only major state route change was the elimination of 171 in New Brunswick. Some state roads that were previously listed as municipal or county jurisdiction (28 in Plainfield, 12 & 29 in Frenchtown) are now listed as NJDOT but I bet these are just errors. A couple of 500 routes were extended (533, 535, 539, 577), the 537/547 swap around Eatontown/Long Branch is sort of codified, and some random spur/alternate routes were added. While Middlesex and Somerset's 600 series appear to be corrected, Burlington seems to still have some errors (no Stage Road CR 655 in Bass River Twp., CR 693 is still Cedar Lane Extension between 543 and 660 per state while the county's map show it within the nearby landfill).

Curious why they extended 533 past the 527 junction in Bound Brook just to have it break and have it come back after the circle where 527 heads off to South Bound Brook to just end unceremoniously at the bridge to Middlesex, aka the county line. If that's county maintained, not sure why they didn't just assign it a 6xx number instead.

NJRoadfan

Its likely that 533 extended past 527 and Somerset County never renumbered the segment. Remember that CR-622 in Middlesex County used to be 514 SPUR, a somewhat logical endpoint for 535 in the past. The same thing happened with CR-509. Part of its old alignment in Edison has reappeared on the SLDs, an error from Middlesex County's records (NJDOT long truncated it to Westfield). The 535 extention up Raritan Ave. is also from Middlesex's records.

EricJV95

The construction for the NEW improved split interchange with Rt. 46 and Rt. 3 in Clifton is a bumpy one. However, It's getting a huge makeover. Hopefully it will make the split with 46 and 3 much better for drivers to use by 2022. I drove EAST on 46 from Wayne to the Lincoln Tunnel via Rt 3 EAST. That split can be tricky for those who are not used to it. Just follow the signs.

roadman65

That interchange in Clifton is long overdue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Another weird thing I just noticed, when did US-130 in Cranbury get renamed to "Jersey Girls State Highway"?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.