News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OH: Central Ohio highway news and developments

Started by seicer, January 24, 2009, 08:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Split's end: $1.6 billion project to untangle city's worst traffic snarl
By Debbie Gebolys, Columbus Dispatch, January 23, 2009

The long-awaited plan to rebuild I-70/71 through Downtown is here, along with a gigantic new price tag.

The Ohio Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have agreed to use Mound and Fulton streets as major routes to and from a rebuilt I-70.  They also agreed on a retooled cost estimate: $1.6 billion.

That's nearly four times as expensive as the 2004 ODOT estimate of $434 million.

It's one of the most complicated highway projects in the state, one that's designed to improve a section of road made dangerous by overlapping merges and heavy traffic.  "The split is one of the most congested areas in the state, ranked fourth statewide in terms of crashes and congestion, averaging two a day," ODOT spokeswoman Nancy Burton said.

Work will begin east of the Scioto River in 2011, with those sections finished in 2017.

The Mound-Fulton route was by far the locally preferred one.  In 2007, ODOT recommended the route to federal officials over one that would have used Mound and Livingston Avenue to usher traffic to and from a pared-down group of highway ramps.  Burton said public sentiment ran 4-to-1 in favor of Mound and Fulton.

Lester Drive and Parsons Avenue serve as similar feeders to and from I-71 in the recommended plan.

The Mound-Fulton configuration spares German Village and the Brewery District, but puts the Franklin County courthouse complex, currently under construction, directly in the path of the feeders.  Franklin County commissioners didn't respond yesterday to calls for comment but were on record a year ago as not opposing the Mound-Fulton alignment.

Glenn Kacic, condo association president for the Waterford Towers, has been on record for at least as long objecting to the alignment because it comes too close to his home.  Elevated highway ramps are expected to skirt Waterford and nearby Miranova condos and would wipe out Miranova's tennis court.  "We're going to remain engaged with them about access, the noise, pollution and impact on the neighborhood," Kacic said.

Dan Williamson, spokesman for Mayor Michael B. Coleman, said the mayor doesn't favor one alignment over the other but is glad a decision has been made.  "What's important to the mayor is the opportunity for pedestrians, opportunity to build caps just to keep neighborhoods interconnected with Downtown," Williamson said.

Burton said enhancements such as highway caps, bike paths and widened sidewalks, are planned.  State officials have said for years that local or private money would be needed to build caps similar to the one over I-670 in the Short North.

The huge cost increase for the project is the biggest surprise development. Cost estimates at the inception of the project roughly a decade ago were $300 million to $400 million.  By 2007, it topped $500 million. In December, state transportation officials estimated it at $1.2 billion.

Sam Staley, senior fellow at the fiscally conservative Buckeye Institute, said the $1.6 billion estimate "is crying for closer scrutiny."

The state and federal agencies adjusted the original estimate for inflation, Burton said.

In all, the project would rebuild I-70 from Sullivant Avenue in the Hilltop past Kelton Avenue on the East Side, and I-71 from I-670 in Italian Village to Greenlawn Avenue in Franklinton.  It would convert Mound and Fulton to one-way streets to take traffic to and from the Downtown highways.

Crews will start work at I-71 and I-670, then move south along I-71 to a new Main Street interchange. I-70 east of Downtown to around Kelton Avenue would come next.  Then, several years into the project, crews are to rebuild the overlap and upgrade Mound and Fulton.  The last step, as yet unscheduled, would rebuild the highway bridges over the Scioto River, the I-70/71 interchange at Rt. 315 and I-70 heading west to Sullivant Avenue.

ODOT will explain the project from 3 to 7 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission, 111 Liberty St.  It's also accepting public comment through Feb. 24 at http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/7071study

seicer

ODOT Announces Waverly Project
By Wayne Allen, Portsmouth Daily Times, January 25, 2009

The Ohio Department Of Transportation (ODOT) has announced a multi-million dollar project for Waverly. The city of Waverly is sponsoring the project to construct the "Waverly South Connector" - a new two-lane roadway connecting U.S. 23 south of the city to S.R. 220 west of the city. The project is currently estimated at more than $14 million.

"The connector, once complete, will loop around the south side of town (Waverly) and connect back over to the opposite end. The connector will cross US 23 and US 104 on the south side," Kathleen Fuller, ODOT district 9 public information officer, said. "Over the years there has been heavy truck traffic use that route (State Route 220). This will make it easer for them to get around and will be safer in the long run for everyone."

There are federal earmarks for 83 percent of the project.

The city of Waverly first approached ODOT with the project. ODOT will use the federally-earmarked money toward the project.

"The city (Waverly) has already been looking at ways to fund the project and planning for it. They (Waverly) were the ones that approached the transportation review advisory counsel, to get this project on the list for additional funds," Fuller said.

The City of Waverly will also come up with a percentage of total funding.

She explained even though the project has received a federal earmark, it does not cover the entire cost of the project. "This is a major cost project," she said.

The project is slated to receive funding from multiple sources from the local community to the federal level.

The project is scheduled to sell in early 2011 and be completed in 2012. The project is slated to begin the same year the first phase of the Portsmouth by-pass is scheduled to begin.

The new road will start at U.S. 23, opposite Pride Drive and the U.S. 23/Second Street intersection, and extend across Crooked Creek to S.R. 104 and continue northwest to connect with the existing S.R. 220, just west of the Waverly City School's campus and Prosperity Road. In addition, S.R. 104 at the intersection with the connector will be widened to add a turning lane.

In total there will be 1.5 miles of new road constructed.

"The main advantage of the project would be the roadway would extend through 300 acres of undeveloped land that is within the corporation limits of Waverly. The new roadway will provide a lot of potential for housing development and some light commercial development," Nathan Davis, development & zoning director for the city of Waverly, said.

Voyager

Awesome, I love downtown reconstruction projects. I'm pretty sure the commuters on them probably don't though.  :spin:
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Here's hoping the reconstruction of the split won't be as drawn out as Spring-Sandusky was.  :ded:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

exit322

Yeah, Ohio's good at taking their sweet old time getting things done that should be done quickly.

catofdar

They should reroute traffic along I-670 and close down the entire split...that's my idea with that one....
CatOfDar Roads...Adding random meows to road enthusiasm since 2005.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: catofdar on January 27, 2009, 12:35:37 AM
They should reroute traffic along I-670 and close down the entire split...that's my idea with that one....

That was what we did here when we wanted to rebuild/upgrade MN 36 between McKnight Rd and I-694. MN 36 was completely shut down for a few months; traffic was detoured onto I-35E and I-694.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ctsignguy

the only problem with that idea is you would simply shift the congestion further east...along with a massive rebuilding of the I-270/670 split near the airport to take the I-70 through traffic PLUS massive rebuild of the east I-70-270 interchange to once again accommodate all the through traffic

if they decided to route 71 north up on Ohio 315, several exits would require massive reworking to meet Interstate standards (from OSU south to the West Split, 315 is almost like I-95 in Connecticut in exit density at spots...so one or two would have to close and reroute traffic to the remaining exits)...plus then you have the issue of funnelling all that traffic back north tio I-71....

a prime example of how poor planning back in the day is coming back to bite citizens in the tuckous now!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

exit322

And as a temporary problem for a permanent fix, that's exactly what needs to be done.  Commuters will just have to rework their schedules for awhile until the thing is done right.

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

seicer

City begins razing Town Street bridge
Business First of Columbus, March 16, 2009

Come August, Columbus' nearly century-old Town Street bridge will be no more.

City officials on Monday began the demolition of the 90-year-old Columbus bridge, which stretches across the Scioto River. The bridge was shut down in July after state officials determined its structural condition warranted it be closed or closely monitored.

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman and other city officials gathered at the site at 9 a.m. Monday to begin the work, which will cost $838,000 and last about four months, said Mary Carran Webster, spokeswoman for the city's public safety department.

Before the bridge shut down, it carried an estimated 9,850 vehicles and a thousand pedestrians every weekday. The Town Street bridge will be replaced by the Rich Street bridge, a $36.4 million concrete rib-arch structure set for completion in late 2011 or early 2012.

seicer

ODOT outlines more than $23 million in Ross County infrastructure projects
The Gazette, April 21, 2009

Investments by the Ohio Department of Transportation into Ross County infrastructure over the next two years top $23 million, with the biggest project being the $10 million Ohio 104 widening project.
Advertisement

ODOT officials met with local elected leaders Monday to discuss the upcoming construction season in District 9, which includes Adams, Brown, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Pike, Ross and Scioto counties. Gary Cochenour, production administrator for District 9, said the Ohio 104 widening project is among five major new projects his district is working on.

"With the prisons out there and the VA (Medical Center), it can get quite congested," Cochenour said. "We started experiencing accidents during shift changes and a lot of congestion."

The project received $6.5 million in funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, better known as the economic stimulus act, and the overall cost will be $10.3 million. Cochenour said the project received funding because it supports safety and development.

"It will be safer at four lanes and provide better access to (Ohio) 207, U.S. 23 and U.S. 35," Cochenour said. "It's also good for development in the area of Gateway industrial park."

The project will add two traffic lights, one at Moundsville Road to better serve Unioto Schools and another to serve Gateway industrial park. Pleasant Valley Road also will be re-routed.

Another major project is the installation of a pedestrian bridge across North High Street/Ohio 104. Work already has begun on the $1.19 million project, which will connect two sections of the tri-county trail. There is no light at the trail's crossing with Ohio 104 and pedestrians previously had to navigate across four lanes of traffic near the U.S. 35 off ramps.

ODOT officials said they expect to have the project completed by this fall and said Ohio 104 may have to be closed for a day or two this summer while the bridge structure is laid across the route.

Project: Ohio 104 Widening from Pleasant Valley and U.S. 35 to Ohio 207 bypass.
# Construction:July 2009 to September 2010
# Cost:$10.3 million, including $6.5 million in funds received through American Recovery and Reinvestment Act

Project: Bike Path Bridge across North High Street/ Ohio 104 at the city limit of Chillicothe.
# Construction:March to September 2009
# Cost:$1.19 million

[See the URL for the remainder of the projects.]

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 28, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

the only problem with that idea is you would simply shift the congestion further east...along with a massive rebuilding of the I-270/670 split near the airport to take the I-70 through traffic PLUS massive rebuild of the east I-70-270 interchange to once again accommodate all the through traffic

if they decided to route 71 north up on Ohio 315, several exits would require massive reworking to meet Interstate standards (from OSU south to the West Split, 315 is almost like I-95 in Connecticut in exit density at spots...so one or two would have to close and reroute traffic to the remaining exits)...plus then you have the issue of funnelling all that traffic back north tio I-71....

a prime example of how poor planning back in the day is coming back to bite citizens in the tuckous now!

No, exit density along 315 is not a problem there.  That old section (from Spring-Sandusky to OSU) is just narrow with no shoulders.
315 sort got put together piece-mail between 1952 (first plans) and 1976 (last plans published).  It originally was to have pettered out at Third St, then it was to be extended to OSU, then finally up to I-270.  Beyond the innerbelt, there wasn't much thought about the Olentangy Freeway being an alternate to I-71 till after it's completion in 1982.

exit322

North of I-270, there's nowhere along OH-315 to even four-lane it, let alone create a freeway.  The road hugs all kinds of homes and the sort on the west and the Olentangy on the right.  If it were geographically possible, the thing needs four-laned in a big big way, but that's just not going to happen.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: exit322 on June 04, 2009, 11:44:17 AM
North of I-270, there's nowhere along OH-315 to even four-lane it, let alone create a freeway.  The road hugs all kinds of homes and the sort on the west and the Olentangy on the right.  If it were geographically possible, the thing needs four-laned in a big big way, but that's just not going to happen.

315/Olentangy River Rd has its roots as an old indian trail. Thats why it hugs the river in so many places between OSU and Delaware.  (I have an article about Oh 315 from the Delaware Gazette, 10-15 years ago, buried somewhere that talks about the history of that road)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.