News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamierazorback

took a few pics on my cell phone today when driving down Getwell. This is Getwell at future I-269. All the roads are paved and traffic lights are up. Even though not operational. https://www.flickr.com/gp/140140930@N06/5XcrB5

Brooks

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 27, 2018, 05:29:34 PM
Quote from: Brooks on January 27, 2018, 12:10:26 AM
I-269 mile marker signs are up near the SR-193 exit.

Are they turned to the side like Missouri did with I-49, or are they mounted normally?
Not sure what you're referring to, but last time I was out there, they had I-269 trailblazers from I-40 all the way to 385.

Brooks

Took this picture last night at the I-269/SR 385 interchange. It's good to see this up; however, the other of the really shitty old ones is still in place for now.

hbelkins

Quote from: jamierazorback on December 24, 2017, 02:49:35 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:03 AM
Quote from: jamierazorback on December 23, 2017, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 22, 2017, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: mwb1848 on December 21, 2017, 12:21:11 PM
Quote from: Brooks on December 11, 2017, 11:21:35 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 11, 2017, 11:15:31 AM
I'm confused... does I-269 run from MS 305 to TN 385 or I-40?
I-269 is designated all the way to I-40; however, until TDOT gets off their asses and changes the signs, 269 ends at 385. In a perfect world, the designation and signage would extend all the way to US 51 in Millington.

Following a suggestion above, I checked in at MDOT's traffic advisory web site to get a live view of I-269 via traffic cams.

While there, I noticed that MDOT (perhaps inadvertently) weighs in on the end point of I-269. When I visited, the DMS on I-269 between MS 305 and Red Banks Road was displaying:

I-269
NOW OPEN
TO I-40 IN TN

Makes sense -- MS has more to gain (via both present/future I-269 as well as I-22) than TN, so touting the yet-to-be-signed N-S TN segment of TN 385 as a functional I-269 gives the driver on either of the TN freeways a known-quantity destination in I-40. I'm surprised that there aren't I-40 trailblazers on WB I-22 at or near the 269 junction -- just as I'm pretty certain TDOT won't place I-22 trailblazers at the I-269/TN 385 interchange -- at least in the near term.  Unless more highway-oriented businesses deploy themselves along that N-S stretch, TN has little to gain by directing I-40 traffic to & from I-22.
You hit the nail on the head. The only gain in Tennessee is a lot of transportation companies could move to the Collierville area. With I-269/385 junction having  a lot of land Collierville is zoning for it around that junction. Everything else is Mississippi's to gain. Obviously a ton of traffic will travel I-269 between I-55 and I-22. I-22 is the gateway from the midwest and middle America into the southeast. When that section of I-269 is complete, there will be lots of traffic that wont have to go through non highway city traffic in Memphis anymore. I don't expect much retaill development on I-269 between I-22 and I-40. I-269 between I-55 and I-22 would be another story. Honestly TDOT could probably care less about signing the Tennessee section over, if they didn't have to do so.

gateway from the midwest to the southeast is a bit of a stretch
Is it? Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Oklahoma wanting to get into Birmingham, Atlanta, Florida beaches, exc. Do the google routing.

In the summertime, I-24 near Paducah is chock-full of cars with Kansas and Missouri license plates. I remember one trip where plates from those two states outnumbered Kentucky and Illinois.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2018, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: jamierazorback on December 24, 2017, 02:49:35 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:03 AM
Quote from: jamierazorback on December 23, 2017, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 22, 2017, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: mwb1848 on December 21, 2017, 12:21:11 PM
Quote from: Brooks on December 11, 2017, 11:21:35 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 11, 2017, 11:15:31 AM
I'm confused... does I-269 run from MS 305 to TN 385 or I-40?
I-269 is designated all the way to I-40; however, until TDOT gets off their asses and changes the signs, 269 ends at 385. In a perfect world, the designation and signage would extend all the way to US 51 in Millington.

Following a suggestion above, I checked in at MDOT's traffic advisory web site to get a live view of I-269 via traffic cams.

While there, I noticed that MDOT (perhaps inadvertently) weighs in on the end point of I-269. When I visited, the DMS on I-269 between MS 305 and Red Banks Road was displaying:

I-269
NOW OPEN
TO I-40 IN TN

Makes sense -- MS has more to gain (via both present/future I-269 as well as I-22) than TN, so touting the yet-to-be-signed N-S TN segment of TN 385 as a functional I-269 gives the driver on either of the TN freeways a known-quantity destination in I-40. I'm surprised that there aren't I-40 trailblazers on WB I-22 at or near the 269 junction -- just as I'm pretty certain TDOT won't place I-22 trailblazers at the I-269/TN 385 interchange -- at least in the near term.  Unless more highway-oriented businesses deploy themselves along that N-S stretch, TN has little to gain by directing I-40 traffic to & from I-22.
You hit the nail on the head. The only gain in Tennessee is a lot of transportation companies could move to the Collierville area. With I-269/385 junction having  a lot of land Collierville is zoning for it around that junction. Everything else is Mississippi's to gain. Obviously a ton of traffic will travel I-269 between I-55 and I-22. I-22 is the gateway from the midwest and middle America into the southeast. When that section of I-269 is complete, there will be lots of traffic that wont have to go through non highway city traffic in Memphis anymore. I don't expect much retaill development on I-269 between I-22 and I-40. I-269 between I-55 and I-22 would be another story. Honestly TDOT could probably care less about signing the Tennessee section over, if they didn't have to do so.

gateway from the midwest to the southeast is a bit of a stretch
Is it? Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Oklahoma wanting to get into Birmingham, Atlanta, Florida beaches, exc. Do the google routing.

In the summertime, I-24 near Paducah is chock-full of cars with Kansas and Missouri license plates. I remember one trip where plates from those two states outnumbered Kentucky and Illinois.

Funneling traffic from the central Plains states to Nashville and on to the Deep South (and vice-versa) seems to be the main function of I-24 in any case.   I-22 merely augments that by giving areas in the southern Plains region a more direct route to and from the same destinations (Atlanta, Florida). 

codyg1985

Quote from: Brooks on March 04, 2018, 12:57:16 AM

Took this picture last night at the I-269/SR 385 interchange. It's good to see this up; however, the other of the really shitty old ones is still in place for now.

That sign looks so much better now than it did before!
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerFunneling traffic from the central Plains states to Nashville and on to the Deep South (and vice-versa) seems to be the main function of I-24 in any case.   I-22 merely augments that by giving areas in the southern Plains region a more direct route to and from the same destinations (Atlanta, Florida).

I think I-22 has the potential to be a much more important Interstate highway in the Deep South, but that's only if it gets built-out properly -particularly in the Memphis metro area. I'd like to see I-22 extended West along I-269 and across the Mississippi River to connect with I-40 in Arkansas. That would draw quite a bit of long distance I-40 traffic headed to/from places like Atlanta. If I-22 was extended farther Southeast (Opelika; Columbus, GA; Albany, GA) to end at I-75 near Valdosta, GA then it would serve even more Deep South traffic needs as well as long distance traffic coming in and out of Florida. And if we want to bring in the military factor (like proponents of I-14 love to do) Fort Benning is a major Army post next to Columbus, GA and the US Marine Corps Logistics Base (aka Repair Division) is in Albany.

Converting Lamar Avenue (US-78) into a freeway from I-269 to I-240 in Memphis would also be a good thing. But the I-55 Mississippi River crossing in Memphis and its outdated hard turn at Crump Blvd is a choke point. A new I-22 bridge crossing near Tunica would pull some traffic off that portion of I-55.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 05, 2018, 11:10:48 PM
Quote from: sparkerFunneling traffic from the central Plains states to Nashville and on to the Deep South (and vice-versa) seems to be the main function of I-24 in any case.   I-22 merely augments that by giving areas in the southern Plains region a more direct route to and from the same destinations (Atlanta, Florida).

I think I-22 has the potential to be a much more important Interstate highway in the Deep South, but that's only if it gets built-out properly -particularly in the Memphis metro area. I'd like to see I-22 extended West along I-269 and across the Mississippi River to connect with I-40 in Arkansas. That would draw quite a bit of long distance I-40 traffic headed to/from places like Atlanta. If I-22 was extended farther Southeast (Opelika; Columbus, GA; Albany, GA) to end at I-75 near Valdosta, GA then it would serve even more Deep South traffic needs as well as long distance traffic coming in and out of Florida. And if we want to bring in the military factor (like proponents of I-14 love to do) Fort Benning is a major Army post next to Columbus, GA and the US Marine Corps Logistics Base (aka Repair Division) is in Albany.

Converting Lamar Avenue (US-78) into a freeway from I-269 to I-240 in Memphis would also be a good thing. But the I-55 Mississippi River crossing in Memphis and its outdated hard turn at Crump Blvd is a choke point. A new I-22 bridge crossing near Tunica would pull some traffic off that portion of I-55.

Something tells me that (a) if the Crump situation isn't resolved via the current but seemingly perpetually postponed plans and (b) a "Southern Crossing" near Tunica is deployed, with connections to I-40 somewhere near its multiplex with I-55, that facility could well become a rerouted I-55, with I-69 the sole designation north into downtown Memphis (including an upgraded 55/69/269 interchange).  Don't think too many folks -- locals or travelers, both commercial and other, would really mind the present old I-55 Mississippi River bridge being deleted from the Interstate system (if there was a viable alternative, I certainly wouldn't!).   If not actually deleted, it could be a I-240 extension (again, with I-69 taking over the N-S portion).     

codyg1985

Even if I-22 isn't extended southeast, US 280 would still funnel some Florida-bound traffic to Columbus GA and on to I-75 via US 280, GA 520, and US 82. Still, an interstate would certainly make that route more viable for long-distance traffic.
Cody Goodman

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This sign is, at most, 3 weeks old.

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Finrod

Agreed, and you're not the only one with that idea.  This fellow's idea extends I-22 east all the way to Brunswick, Georgia at I-95:

http://interstate-dots.blogspot.com/2006/03/interstate-22-extension-phase-i.html

Extending it to the coast also makes it useful as a hurricane evacuation route.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Bobby5280

I would prefer the route going toward Valdosta from Albany, hooking into I-75 not far from the Florida border. It would give traffic coming from the Jacksonville area just as direct an Interstate quality route as upgrading GA-520/US-82 to Waycross and going down to Jacksonville via US-1. And it would shave off miles for traffic heading to/from Florida's Turnpike (Orlando, Miami) and I-75 (Tampa Bay area, Naples, etc).

I think GA-520/US-82 does a good enough job as is serving Brunswick, GA traffic, even as a hurricane evacuation route. Not many people live in that area and the visitor capacity on Saint Simons Island, Sea Island and Jekyll Island is somewhat limited (maybe even on purpose since some spots are a bit more exclusive to those with deeper pockets).

Tomahawkin

I made a suggestion about that being a future long term plan in the future on the I-22 thread in the "Southeast" section. Another poster said it was fictional as if he was implying that I was on the "Stuff" lol

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 06, 2018, 08:48:59 PM

This sign is, at most, 3 weeks old.

And it already sucks. "Jackson MISS"?!?!??? Like, anyone there's going to confuse the capital city of Mississippi with Jackson, Tennessee??  What's wrong with using "Jackson, MS" or just plain "Jackson" (or, if you want dual destinations, "Jackson/New Orleans")??

lordsutch

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 07, 2018, 09:16:17 AM
And it already sucks. "Jackson MISS"?!?!??? Like, anyone there's going to confuse the capital city of Mississippi with Jackson, Tennessee??  What's wrong with using "Jackson, MS" or just plain "Jackson" (or, if you want dual destinations, "Jackson/New Orleans")??

It's TDOT policy to post it as "Jackson Miss" (without the grammatically-necessary period, for some reason). You'd think people wouldn't get confused, but since Jackson TN isn't used as a control city for I-40, if you saw a sign that just said "Jackson" you could easily end up going the wrong way - even with the "Miss" it is certainly not an unheard-of situation for people unfamiliar with the region to end up in the "wrong" Jackson.

Brooks

Quote from: lordsutch on March 07, 2018, 06:30:26 PM

It's TDOT policy to post it as "Jackson Miss" (without the grammatically-necessary period, for some reason). You'd think people wouldn't get confused, but since Jackson TN isn't used as a control city for I-40, if you saw a sign that just said "Jackson" you could easily end up going the wrong way - even with the "Miss" it is certainly not an unheard-of situation for people unfamiliar with the region to end up in the "wrong" Jackson.
It should at least say Jackson, MS. The other way is misleading.

rlb2024

I don't remember TDOT ever using periods.  As long as I can remember I-55 has used "St Louis" as the control city.  AHTD/ARDOT does the same on I-55 in West Memphis.

wriddle082

And then once you enter MS on I-55 south, the control city becomes Grenada, which I believe is halfway to Jackson.  So I'm curious if I-269 south will have Grenada or Tunica as the control city.

codyg1985

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 08, 2018, 01:54:37 PM

And then once you enter MS on I-55 south, the control city becomes Grenada, which I believe is halfway to Jackson.  So I'm curious if I-269 south will have Grenada or Tunica as the control city.

I believe Grenada is only used for northbound I-55. I believe Jackson is used for southbound traffic.

EDIT: It looks like it used to say something else on I-55 southbound at the I-69 interchange but then it was covered up with Jackson: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.870475,-89.9913836,3a,45.7y,173.89h,108.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8Vc0O2lN59LlOOLX291cSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EDIT 2: The intersecting routes at some of the interchanges south of I-69 do say Grenada.
Cody Goodman

UptownRoadGeek

I never understood why Mississippi chose to use Grenada/McComb as control cities on I-55 instead of Memphis/New Orleans. Louisiana and Tennessee on the other hand have these highways signed as Jackson.

hbelkins

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on March 09, 2018, 02:15:30 PM
I never understood why Mississippi chose to use Grenada/McComb as control cities on I-55 instead of Memphis/New Orleans. Louisiana and Tennessee on the other hand have these highways signed as Jackson.

Probably the same reason that Pennsylvania uses a bunch of little towns along I-80 instead of NYC and Cleveland Youngstown. Trying to promote local towns vs. more distant larger cities.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2018, 02:25:50 PM

Probably the same reason that Pennsylvania uses a bunch of little towns along I-80 instead of NYC and Cleveland Youngstown. Trying to promote local towns vs. more distant larger cities.

I-55 southbound from Crystal Springs has 3-destination-listing signs most of the way to LA having New Orleans listed last.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

lordsutch

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 08, 2018, 01:54:37 PM

The signage plans say Tunica.

Brooks

More photos of I-269:

Edit: better quality than the original this time, I-269 at SR 385

New sign at US 70 on ramp to SR 385

rlb2024

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2018, 11:21:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2018, 02:25:50 PM

I-55 southbound from Crystal Springs has 3-destination-listing signs most of the way to LA having New Orleans listed last.

Louisiana uses Hammond as the control city on northbound I-55 from I-10 to I-12, then it uses Jackson from I-12 northward.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.