News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

famartin

Quote from: SignBridge on April 20, 2023, 08:59:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:18:07 PM
^^^Still that absurd JCT US 46. :banghead:

Why is that absurd?

It made sense when the turnpike was first built, but these days, its not that important. Its legacy signing which could easily go away and no one would notice.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on April 20, 2023, 09:39:45 PM

Why is that absurd?

It made sense when the turnpike was first built, but these days, its not that important. Its legacy signing which could easily go away and no one would notice.
It makes sense now because um there's a US 46 exit right there and they want to make sure people using that exit are going the right way...

famartin

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2023, 09:55:44 PM

Why is that absurd?

It makes sense now because um there's a US 46 exit right there and they want to make sure people using that exit are going the right way...

I think the 80 on the other sign is sufficient in that regard, honestly. Typically there'd be a third panel which said something like "46 exit right half mile" or something like that.

FLAVORTOWN

Noticed a bunch of NORTH 95/NJTP signs with no text but clearly room for a control city. Any idea why it is blank? Shouldnt it say "New York" on them?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on April 20, 2023, 10:43:55 PM

Why is that absurd?

I think the 80 on the other sign is sufficient in that regard, honestly. Typically there'd be a third panel which said something like "46 exit right half mile" or something like that.

I'm not understanding the confusion. If you take the exit for 80, you go over US 46 with no option to exit. If you stay to the right, the very next exit is for US 46.

If the interstates caused US 46 to become some old relic of the past that no one used, then maybe it makes sense to remove it from signage. But US 46 is still a really important road in that neck of the woods.

The only real comment should be why didn't they use "TO US 46" rather than "JCT US 46".  Otherwise, the signage snd its purpose to its intended audience is about as clear-cut as it gets.

famartin

Here's an example of a more modern layout, which I think this signage should emulate...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7130427,-78.1920764,3a,75y,90.49h,93.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_VxzzaJtATOP0Qk4m-Hx6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Left sign here would be 80 west,  middle pull-through for 95 north, right panel for 46 next right.

Rothman

Why is that absurd?

That hardly makes the current signage absurd.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

famartin

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2023, 06:57:13 AM

Why is that absurd?

That hardly makes the current signage absurd.

I didn't agree it was absurd. I just felt it could be done better.

vdeane

The "Jct US 46" verbiage strikes me as a holdover from when the Turnpike ended at US 46.  Since I-95 has been built to the north and NJTA took it over, IMO it's no longer appropriate.  I can see "To US 46" if there's concern that people might take the ramp to I-80 expecting that both it and the mainline will take them there, but I would think signing that ramp as an exit would address that as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

famartin

Quote from: vdeane on April 21, 2023, 01:00:03 PM
The "Jct US 46" verbiage strikes me as a holdover from when the Turnpike ended at US 46.  Since I-95 has been built to the north and NJTA took it over, IMO it's no longer appropriate.  I can see "To US 46" if there's concern that people might take the ramp to I-80 expecting that both it and the mainline will take them there, but I would think signing that ramp as an exit would address that as well.

Definitely agree that its a hold-over - legacy signage.

Particularly considering that there's a heavy merge from right just ahead, and 46 is just beyond that merge, something indicating the rapid approach of 46 would be more appropriate, such as 46 next right.

davewiecking

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 19, 2023, 05:15:16 PM
Any clue about what this blank left exit tab (Left Exit 69 going to be signed?) and blank space left of the I-80 shield is going to be for on the Western Spur heading northbound at the I-95/I-80 interchange? These electronic signs were up and active on my 12 Feb 2023 trip to NJIT. As of that date... those tabs don't appear on the Eastern Spur, however, the Eastern Spur got digital APLs as well.

My theory is that the top half of the left sign was going to reference both Local and Express I-80 west....

storm2k

Quote from: thenetwork on April 20, 2023, 02:41:33 AM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 19, 2023, 05:15:16 PM
Any clue about what this blank left exit tab (Left Exit 69 going to be signed?) and blank space left of the I-80 shield is going to be for on the Western Spur heading northbound at the I-95/I-80 interchange? These electronic signs were up and active on my 12 Feb 2023 trip to NJIT. As of that date... those tabs don't appear on the Eastern Spur, however, the Eastern Spur got digital APLs as well.

I'm surprised they only "digitized" the lower portion of those signs and yet still used the old-school.nrotating boxes just above them.

You would think they would've made that LED as well so they weren't restricted to only 3 or 4 different lines of information.  What were they thinking???

The "hybrid" signs are NJTA's thing. They are in use in the dual-dual section to point out the choice between inner and outer roadways both on the mainline south of Exit 6 and also on the entrance ramps from 6 to 14. They are what's used now on the SB roadways at the northern mixing bowl to enter the dual dual. This is the style they prefer.

Don'tKnowYet

The Turnpike's interchange with 46 is frustratingly unnumbered.  Also, what they call the Northern Mixing Bowl could not provide for the customary 2/1/Half mile advance sequence signing for an unnumbered interchange.  So I think it's "JCT 46"  like go this way we'll get you there.

famartin

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on May 03, 2023, 08:32:22 PM

The Turnpike's interchange with 46 is frustratingly unnumbered.  Also, what they call the Northern Mixing Bowl could not provide for the customary 2/1/Half mile advance sequence signing for an unnumbered interchange.  So I think it's "JCT 46"  like go this way we'll get you there.

As I mentioned the use of jct 46 is just legacy signage in need of an update, the lack of a number is also a legacy from when the turnpike ended there. It still never got a number even after the 95 connection, even tho NJDOT gave it a number on their approach (68). This would be an easy remedy but almost comically, I just don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever, despite the NJTA keeping NJDOTs numbers on their section.

Truthfully, the whole numbering on at least the 95 portion of the turnpike needs an overhaul, and if it was up to NJDOT, I think it would happen. But, it's up to the NJTA.

Maybe, just maybe, things change after it goes all electronic. If we're really lucky.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: famartin on May 03, 2023, 09:14:37 PM

As I mentioned the use of jct 46 is just legacy signage in need of an update, the lack of a number is also a legacy from when the turnpike ended there. It still never got a number even after the 95 connection, even tho NJDOT gave it a number on their approach (68). This would be an easy remedy but almost comically, I just don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever, despite the NJTA keeping NJDOTs numbers on their section.

Truthfully, the whole numbering on at least the 95 portion of the turnpike needs an overhaul, and if it was up to NJDOT, I think it would happen. But, it's up to the NJTA.

Maybe, just maybe, things change after it goes all electronic. If we're really lucky.

IIRC, Exit 68 is following I-80's exit numbering.

famartin

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 04, 2023, 05:20:00 AM

No.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: famartin on May 04, 2023, 07:26:36 AM

No.

Right, I forgot where I-95 now begins.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 04, 2023, 01:38:12 PM

No.

Not even that. The exit numbers were put in place back when the Turnpike took ownership of that segment of 95 during a previous Governor's administration in the 1990s. It's based on the original routing of 95 in New Jersey.

With the current routing, the exit numbering will happen to be very similar to the planned mileage markers of the original routing of 95 in that area, give or take a mile. It's so close that if the Turnpike did convert to mile-based numbering, they may not even bother tweaking it (in my opinion).

SignBridge

Someone said above that the JCT-46 posting on the signs without an exit number is a legacy of the original Turnpike ending there. The end of the Turnpike at Rt. 46 actually was Exit-18 until the later years when the Western Leg and the "missing mile" were built with all the reconfiguration of that area.

famartin

Quote from: SignBridge on May 04, 2023, 06:16:09 PM
Someone said above that the JCT-46 posting on the signs without an exit number is a legacy of the original Turnpike ending there. The end of the Turnpike at Rt. 46 actually was Exit-18 until the later years when the Western Leg and the "missing mile" were built with all the reconfiguration of that area.

Actually, remember that the turnpike is a ticket system, so 18 was wherever the final plaza northbound was. This is the same as the other end where 1 is actually the final plaza southbound. Would have to look thru historic aerials to figure out where 18 was. Right now, it's descendent, 18E, is at 16E.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2023, 02:15:32 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 04, 2023, 01:38:12 PM

No.

Not even that. The exit numbers were put in place back when the Turnpike took ownership of that segment of 95 during a previous Governor's administration in the 1990s. It's based on the original routing of 95 in New Jersey.

With the current routing, the exit numbering will happen to be very similar to the planned mileage markers of the original routing of 95 in that area, give or take a mile. It's so close that if the Turnpike did convert to mile-based numbering, they may not even bother tweaking it (in my opinion).
I don't think it's that close.  Measuring on Google Maps from the PA border (the middle of the Delaware River), US 46 is around mile 72.  The exit number is 68.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

famartin

Quote from: vdeane on May 04, 2023, 07:59:55 PM
I don't think it's that close.  Measuring on Google Maps from the PA border (the middle of the Delaware River), US 46 is around mile 72.  The exit number is 68.

The SLD agrees with you, its more like a 4 mile difference... 68 would be 72, 69 would be 73, 70 would be 74, 71 would be 75, 72 would be 76, 73 and 74 would be 77.
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/pdf/00000095__-.pdf

The Ghostbuster

If the New Jersey Turnpike's (and untolled 95's) exit numbers are ever renumbered, such as to mileage-based, I think untolled 95's exit numbers should be a continuation of the NJT's exit numbers, which should start at its southern terminus at Interstate 295. If I'm not mistaken, the untolled segment's mileposts are a continuation of the NJT's mileage.

famartin

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 04, 2023, 09:14:11 PM
If the New Jersey Turnpike's (and untolled 95's) exit numbers are ever renumbered, such as to mileage-based, I think untolled 95's exit numbers should be a continuation of the NJT's exit numbers, which should start at its southern terminus at Interstate 295. If I'm not mistaken, the untolled segment's mileposts are a continuation of the NJT's mileage.

The conflict of what to do about this is probably why nothing has happened after all these years, and probably won't until at least all-electronic tolling is in place, at which point the whole numbering system could be overhauled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.