News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewiecking

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 02, 2023, 05:17:10 PM
From that article:

QuoteBut, the southern end of the toll road, where usage has been increasing, is in for a less controversial, less publicized widening, to.

That sentence seems like it's missing something at the end. To what?

I think "to"  should have been –too–.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 02, 2023, 05:49:55 PM
From that article:

QuoteBut, the southern end of the toll road, where usage has been increasing, is in for a less controversial, less publicized widening, to.

I think it was bad grammar and word usage.

"But the southern end of the toll road, where usage has been increasing, is also in for a less controversial, less publicized widening." would have been better.

And it has been publicized and commented on. Even by the Sierra Club, which overall basically gave as much of a blessing as they're going to give towards a highway widening project.

I think that's their north Jersey bias showing up, as far the "less publicized"  comment goes...

sprjus4

As for the article, I'm not sure what they mean by a Route 45 median...it's about 8 feet wide.
I believe this is referring to simply the fact Route 45 is median-divided and multi-lane and has the capacity for an additional interchange.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 02, 2023, 10:58:48 PM
As for the article, I'm not sure what they mean by a Route 45 median...it's about 8 feet wide.
I believe this is referring to simply the fact Route 45 is median-divided and multi-lane and has the capacity for an additional interchange.

Of course, looking at it from an aerial view...how could they even fit an interchange anywhere in the area anyway?  https://goo.gl/maps/w7EuZeDxeM32XcT38  The clear land to the west of where the Turnpike and 45 intersect is Green Acres land, and is all-but-off limits to any sort of development, which would include an interchange project.  The wetlands around where the Turnpike, 42 and 55 intersect is easier to build on than protected/preserved Green Acres land in NJ.

Not that the area wouldn't be a bad place to host an interchange, directly between Interchanges 2 and 3, but I don't sense the area really has any desire to have an interchange nearby, and it certainly isn't a topic of conversation around here.

Quote from: famartin on April 02, 2023, 06:21:08 PM
From that article:

"But the southern end of the toll road, where usage has been increasing, is also in for a less controversial, less publicized widening." would have been better.

And it has been publicized and commented on. Even by the Sierra Club, which overall basically gave as much of a blessing as they're going to give towards a highway widening project.

I think that's their north Jersey bias showing up, as far the "less publicized"  comment goes...

Based on their Facebook page post, which received no likes and no comments, and another story on nj.com's Facebook page a few weeks ago which garnished no likes and no comments, they're not going to stir up any controversy and are just going to have to let this one go.

Ted$8roadFan

At least one municipality in South Jersey favors a direct connection between the NJTP and NJ-42/55, though not necessarily within its own borders.

https://woodbury.nj.us/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_02102021-51

The Ghostbuster

It looks like there may be enough space for an interchange between the NJT and NJ 42, although the NJ 42/55 interchange may need to be reconstructed. I would imagine that collector-distributor lanes may help distribute traffic through the area if such an interchange is ever built.

storm2k

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 03, 2023, 05:21:50 AM
At least one municipality in South Jersey favors a direct connection between the NJTP and NJ-42/55, though not necessarily within its own borders.

NIMBYism at it's finest. "We need this thing, but it better not happen within our borders."

sprjus4

Quote from: storm2k on April 03, 2023, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 03, 2023, 05:21:50 AM

NIMBYism at it's finest. "We need this thing, but it better not happen within our borders."
Given that neither the Turnpike nor NJ-42 go through Woodbury, I would not see why an interchange would be built there?

They are supporting the interchange as it would be located near the city and enhance access.

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 03, 2023, 11:30:57 AM
It looks like there may be enough space for an interchange between the NJT and NJ 42, although the NJ 42/55 interchange may need to be reconstructed. I would imagine that collector-distributor lanes may help distribute traffic through the area if such an interchange is ever built.
I could show you, but I'd have to blind you first :|

famartin

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2023, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 03, 2023, 11:30:57 AM
I could show you, but I'd have to blind you first :|

I get the feeling you've already seen a design for it, but can't tell us  :-D

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2023, 12:32:45 AM

Of course, looking at it from an aerial view...how could they even fit an interchange anywhere in the area anyway?  https://goo.gl/maps/w7EuZeDxeM32XcT38  The clear land to the west of where the Turnpike and 45 intersect is Green Acres land, and is all-but-off limits to any sort of development, which would include an interchange project.  The wetlands around where the Turnpike, 42 and 55 intersect is easier to build on than protected/preserved Green Acres land in NJ.

Not that the area wouldn't be a bad place to host an interchange, directly between Interchanges 2 and 3, but I don't sense the area really has any desire to have an interchange nearby, and it certainly isn't a topic of conversation around here.

From that article:

Based on their Facebook page post, which received no likes and no comments, and another story on nj.com's Facebook page a few weeks ago which garnished no likes and no comments, they're not going to stir up any controversy and are just going to have to let this one go.

If space is tight you could have exit 3 be a double exit with new access to NJ-42.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on April 11, 2023, 08:51:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 03, 2023, 12:32:45 AM

From that article:

If space is tight you could have exit 3 be a double exit with new access to NJ-42.

I've thought of this, and other than needing a mile-long distributor roadway along the Turnpike between 168 and 42, in theory it could be done.  If manned toll lanes were still a thing the 6 lane plaza at Interchange 3 may be overwhelmed, but if they have moved to all electronic tolling, that's not an issue.

BTW, they have either permanently or partially gone with 2 EZ Pass lanes on exit at 3, using only 1 cash lane the past few times I've been thru there during non-rush hour periods.  Previously, there was 1 EZ Pass lane and 1 or 2 cash lanes (with EZ Pass being accepted as the cash lanes as well).

famartin

Someone had mentioned this a while back, but sure enough...

roadman65

^^^^You mean Philly as a pull through control over Camden?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:02:25 PM
^^^^You mean Philly as a pull through control over Camden?

Yup

roadman65

It's now been a SB control point on the Parkway in Woodbridge also.  However post Plaza is still Trenton.
https://goo.gl/maps/XfqYpXRiKjCAaLa69
https://goo.gl/maps/f32tPX6WGHePdGeo9

Sheryl Crowe

fwydriver405

Any clue about what this blank left exit tab (Left Exit 69 going to be signed?) and blank space left of the I-80 shield is going to be for on the Western Spur heading northbound at the I-95/I-80 interchange? These electronic signs were up and active on my 12 Feb 2023 trip to NJIT. As of that date... those tabs don't appear on the Eastern Spur, however, the Eastern Spur got digital APLs as well.

roadman65

^^^Still that absurd JCT US 46. :banghead:

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:06:54 PM
It's now been a SB control point on the Parkway in Woodbridge also.  However post Plaza is still Trenton.
https://goo.gl/maps/XfqYpXRiKjCAaLa69
https://goo.gl/maps/f32tPX6WGHePdGeo9

That happened several years ago, I took a picture of that back in 2020. But the mainline change at 7A is more recent, looks like it was in 2022.

thenetwork

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 19, 2023, 05:15:16 PM
Any clue about what this blank left exit tab (Left Exit 69 going to be signed?) and blank space left of the I-80 shield is going to be for on the Western Spur heading northbound at the I-95/I-80 interchange? These electronic signs were up and active on my 12 Feb 2023 trip to NJIT. As of that date... those tabs don't appear on the Eastern Spur, however, the Eastern Spur got digital APLs as well.

I'm surprised they only "digitized" the lower portion of those signs and yet still used the old-school.nrotating boxes just above them.

You would think they would've made that LED as well so they weren't restricted to only 3 or 4 different lines of information.  What were they thinking???

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thenetwork on April 20, 2023, 02:41:33 AM

I'm surprised they only "digitized" the lower portion of those signs and yet still used the old-school.nrotating boxes just above them.

You would think they would've made that LED as well so they weren't restricted to only 3 or 4 different lines of information.  What were they thinking???

Electricity isn't guaranteed.

Better to leave some static info there in case electric goes out for any number of reasons: Storms hit.  Vehicle hits electrical box. Squirrels chew power line. LED components fail. Connectivity issues from HQ.

The messages needed to be displayed are brief: usually what you see above, "Road Closed" with an X, maybe "Delays Ahead", or other brief worded messages. These signs aren't intended to inform motorists of specific issues; those would be shown on regular VMS boards.  These would also be 2 line messages at most, but usually are just one line and a symbol.

Ted$8roadFan

I miss the old neon warning signs, even if they were long out of date.

1995hoo

I still like the rotating boxes because I have this absurd mental image of them making a "clang" sound when they rotate–the same sound the board makes on Family Feud when they display a correct response.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

FLAVORTOWN

My best guess is that they meant it to say I-80 West & To GSP but they screwed up the sign and just installed it as is

famartin

That would be very unlike the NJTA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.