News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 04, 2022, 10:20:54 PM
Also, homes had to be leveled. Properties seized.  Elizabeth, the turnpike wiped out peoples dwellings twice. Once when the original turnpike built and second when expanded later.

My dad said land was worth more in North Jersey anyway, but in Elizabeth it was legal hassles mainly to acquire eminent domain.

In those cases they should relocate you and pay for your new home x2. Or they could have blasted underneath the ground in a tunnel, or a very high bridge with a tunnel combo. However, I am starting to think the turnpike needs a 3rd spur in the north, as the current capacity simply isn't high enough, toll or not.

cockroachking

Quote from: davewiecking on November 04, 2022, 10:41:27 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on November 04, 2022, 09:26:19 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 04, 2022, 08:39:51 PM
Imagine paying taxes to build roads, and then being charged to use them.
Except for the fact that NJTA receives exactly $0.00 in toll tax revenue.
FTFY, I believe.
Yep, that's what I meant. Time to fire the proofreader  :sombrero:

jeffandnicole

Hey, let's talk about something that most people aren't going to be aware of.

The NJTA has numerous insurance policies on its assets for numerous reasons.  The Turnpike is one of its assets.  Some of those insurance policies relates to business interruption.

Recall the Delaware River bridge that had a crack resulting in its shutdown for 2 months?  Since the Turnpike experienced a loss in revenue during that time period, the Turnpike submitted a claim to its insurance company (or companies).  After negotiating the loss, the net result is the Turnpike will receive approximately $15.9 million.  The claim was $17.9 million; the Turnpike has a deductible of $2 million on this policy (you thought a $500 deducible sucked!).  Even though the NJTA shares responsibility and costs of the bridge with the PTC, the writeup appears to show this is solely a reimbursement award to the NJTA. 

https://www.njta.com/media/7067/final-agenda-bm-10-25-2022-for-internet.pdf , Page 13 should you want to check it out.

sprjus4

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 04, 2022, 08:39:51 PMImagine paying taxes to build roads, and then being charged to use them.
The New Jersey Turnpike was not built with taxes, nor is maintained by taxes?

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 05, 2022, 03:54:59 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 04, 2022, 08:39:51 PMImagine paying taxes to build roads, and then being charged to use them.
I collected tolls on another road, but got that statement " This is road paid for by taxes. Why should we pay tolls?"

I would tell them what you said.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/AvhqqxYtHDcZVRYZ8

Back on topic for a moment, is the wooden post NJ Turnpike Guide an NJTA assembly or NJDOT?

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2022, 06:01:52 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 05, 2022, 03:54:59 AM
I collected tolls on another road, but got that statement " This is road paid for by taxes. Why should we pay tolls?"

I would tell them what you said.

If you are just a toll collector they shouldn't be saying that to you anyway LOL you didnt set the tolls. No matter how outrageous the toll, I would never whine to the collector. Actually I think I complained once and she said "i know its too expensive". Not all of them agree with it either.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 05, 2022, 09:58:38 AM

If you are just a toll collector they shouldn't be saying that to you anyway LOL you didnt set the tolls. No matter how outrageous the toll, I would never whine to the collector. Actually I think I complained once and she said "i know its too expensive". Not all of them agree with it either.

Toll collectors agree with the customer to please them and get them to move on. They don't want a full on discussion. A motorist won't be pleased if the collector said "No, it's too cheap.".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2022, 09:39:23 AM

Back on topic for a moment, is the wooden post NJ Turnpike Goode an NJTA assembly or NJDOT?

Pretty sure this is a NJTA installation. They usually own the gore point signage.

MultiMillionMiler

What is the topic restriction in this thread? The title is just "New Jersey Turnpike"?

I don't think she was just trying to keep me moving. She started the "discussion" by saying something first, can't remember what, but I replied yeah and it so expensive in a calm, neutral tone, and she said "I know" very emphatically, as if feeling stronger about it than me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 05, 2022, 10:17:22 AM
What is the topic restriction in this thread? The title is just "New Jersey Turnpike"?

I don't think she was just trying to keep me moving. She started the "discussion" by saying something first, can't remember what, but I replied yeah and it so expensive in a calm, neutral tone, and she said "I know" very emphatically, as if feeling stronger about it than me.

Maybe she told you the amount of the toll?

MultiMillionMiler

No it wasn't that it was some other small talk. Why would minimum age employees agree with a greedy government getting richer LOL

roadman65

When I was a toll collector I didn't agree with both Orange County, FL and FDOT both having separate toll plazas real close to each other for the same route.  Many would complain about that to me, and I would empathize.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Back on topic for a moment, is the wooden post NJ Turnpike Guide an NJTA assembly or NJDOT?

Those are NJTA assemblies. These have replaced the last of the white on green entrance signs (like this one that this sign replaced). NJDOT tends to not do wooden posts nor rounded corners (they do rectangle signs with roundrect outlines).

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on November 05, 2022, 08:56:48 PM

Those are NJTA assemblies. These have replaced the last of the white on green entrance signs (like this one that this sign replaced). NJDOT tends to not do wooden posts nor rounded corners (they do rectangle signs with roundrect outlines).

The ones along 168 and 73, and the inverse ones along 322, are still there, me thinks.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/TeVy9rFQhm63mBcE6
I like this sign here.

https://goo.gl/maps/V6yHxtJo9BSmUqDz9
This always got me. I think if Florida had these right side toll booths, my job would have been very difficult. 

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

On the Interchange 2 on ramp gore between the ramps to the Northbound and Southbound Turnpike, the NJTA replaced the traditional NEW YORK and NORTH/DELAWARE and SOUTH sign with this sign, which I quite like. Reminds me a lot of the style sign NJDOT likes to use when the road you're on meets up with a state highway. In fact, the sign on the other end for route 322 looks like it was actually erected by NJDOT (squared off edges, backplate on the shield which means it's from before like 2018 or whenever they stopped using them), and you can see the similarities.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on November 05, 2022, 10:40:00 PM
On the Interchange 2 on ramp gore between the ramps to the Northbound and Southbound Turnpike, the NJTA replaced the traditional NEW YORK and NORTH/DELAWARE and SOUTH sign with this sign, which I quite like. Reminds me a lot of the style sign NJDOT likes to use when the road you're on meets up with a state highway. In fact, the sign on the other end for route 322 looks like it was actually erected by NJDOT (squared off edges, backplate on the shield which means it's from before like 2018 or whenever they stopped using them), and you can see the similarities.

The sign on the other end was done probably cause the intersection  at the end of the ramp was modified as a NJDOT project. 

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

I also think there should be a universal limit to how much someone owes in tolls. Once someone has already payed $1000 in tolls for the year let's say, they automatically get exempt from tolls for that year, for the next 5 years, or for life. They've payed their fair Share.

roadman65

I see NJ Turnpike only issues logo signs for hotels as it don’t want to compete with its vendors at the service areas. Unlike Florida’s Turnpike who have logos for Gas and Food despite advertising against their contractors, they consider all options to make use of their own fuel and eateries.

I remember when Service Areas had only one restaurant and that was it.  No food courts as it was Marriot Food Service.  It wasn’t until Marriott decided to introduce their brands of Bobs Big Boy and Roy Rogers that changed the way eating was done on the Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

Ned Weasel

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2022, 06:38:54 AM
I see NJ Turnpike only issues logo signs for hotels as it don't want to compete with its vendors at the service areas.

I think most toll roads with service plazas handle specific service signs the same way.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Alps

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 04, 2022, 09:12:18 PM
Yes SMH that's what I've been saying LOL you have to drive back right?
Go take other roads that arent' tolled then. You have choices. Sheesh.

1995hoo

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 06, 2022, 12:05:05 AM
I also think there should be a universal limit to how much someone owes in tolls. Once someone has already payed $1000 in tolls for the year let's say, they automatically get exempt from tolls for that year, for the next 5 years, or for life. They've payed their fair Share.

Why? If you drive on the road, you're contributing to wear and tear on that road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Quote from: Ned Weasel on November 06, 2022, 09:18:28 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2022, 06:38:54 AM
I see NJ Turnpike only issues logo signs for hotels as it don't want to compete with its vendors at the service areas.

I think most toll roads with service plazas handle specific service signs the same way.

Yeah the FL & WV Tpks are the exceptions to this. I actually think the WV Tpk does it nowadays only because the vast majority of its interchanges are free anyway, coupled with the fact that there's only one service plaza available for southbound traffic.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

Okay. Enough. Let's get back on topic here. Go start a General Highways thread about this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.