News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

I know I have seen the threads.  I also see that they approved some weird stuff like US 400, US 412 and US 425.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 18, 2018, 04:59:37 PM
I know I have seen the threads.  I also see that they approved some weird stuff like US 400, US 412 and US 425.

All the latter-day "400" series of numbers seem to be either placeholders for future corridors or, just as likely, "consolation prizes" for not getting an Interstate or other major (and funded) corridor established.  This is particularly applicable to US 400 between Wichita and I-44; back in the late'80's and early '90's interests in that city pushed for a nationwide "I-66" passing through their town; essentially it would have followed the cross-state US 400 alignment.  It's still a high-priority corridor (#3), but the plans have been cut back markedly to a rural arterial with some town bypasses.

ARMOURERERIC

There will be an NCDoT meeting Tuesday night in Marion NC to show plans to widen US 221 Bus from the NC 226 intersection North to Georgia Ave to 3 lanes (continuous center left turn lane) along with curb and gutter and sidewalks. 

OracleUsr

Hey, speaking of US 221, Dana and I were headed to West Jefferson though Wilkesboro and saw the new intersection between US 421 and US 221 at the top of the hill to start the wrong-way multiplex.  Is US 221 being rerouted or is it just an elaborate trumpet intersection?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

dfilpus

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 21, 2018, 11:26:42 PM
Hey, speaking of US 221, Dana and I were headed to West Jefferson though Wilkesboro and saw the new intersection between US 421 and US 221 at the top of the hill to start the wrong-way multiplex.  Is US 221 being rerouted or is it just an elaborate trumpet intersection?
That trumpet is part of the project to widen US 221 to four lanes from US 421 to Jefferson NC.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us221widening/

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on January 17, 2018, 05:57:45 PM
Quote from: LM117 on January 12, 2018, 07:50:06 PMIn other news, an upcoming public meeting will be held concerning two sections of the US-74 Shelby Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14758

That meeting has been postponed.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14766

Quote(Editor's Note: Due to inclement weather, the public meeting scheduled for Thursday Jan. 18 will be postponed. NCDOT will announce a new meeting date when it is scheduled. Below is the original press release from Jan. 12.)

New meeting date has been announced.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14775

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting next month regarding two sections of the Shelby Bypass project in Cleveland County. 

Section D will extend the bypass from west of N.C. 150 to U.S. 74, west of Long Branch Road. Section E will continue the bypass from U.S. 74 west of Long Branch Road to west of Stony Point Road at U.S. 74 Business in Kings Mountain.

The meeting will be held Thursday, Feb. 8 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Elizabeth Baptist Church, 301 North Post Road in Shelby. Interested citizens may attend the meeting at any time to view maps of the recommended alternatives for both sections and meet project team members, as no formal presentation will be made. Comments can be submitted at the meeting or by phone, mail, or email.

For additional information about the proposed project, please contact Jackie McSwain, NCDOT Division 12 Project Engineer at jmcswain@ncdot.gov, (980) 552-4208, or Joe Kelvington, NCDOT Consultant Project Manager at joseph.kevington@stantec.com, or (919)865-7390.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

index

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article196102254.html

From News & Observer: NCDOT accused of misleading public about $2.2 billion highway project

QuoteRALEIGH
Opponents of a planned six-lane toll road across southern Wake County say an email exchange between two N.C. Department of Transportation engineers last fall shows the state misled the public about the project's schedule in an attempt to stymie opposition.

NIMBYs seem to be involved with this one.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

LM117

NCDOT is holding a public meeting on Jan. 30 to discuss two alternatives for improving the I-40/Airport Boulevard interchange in Morrisville.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14783

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation is planning to improve traffic flow at the Airport Boulevard interchange for Interstate 40 in Morrisville and wants public input on the project.

Two alternatives are under consideration. One is a diverging diamond interchange, which would be among the first of that type in the Triangle. The other is a partial cloverleaf interchange which is similar to what is currently in place. In both cases, the 47-year-old bridge that goes over I-40 would be replaced by a wider structure.

A diverging diamond interchange is intended to improve the flow of a high volume of traffic through an intersection or interchange without needing additional traffic signals or lanes, and it creates easier access for interstates. There are more than a dozen of them already handling traffic around the state with more planned, including on the upcoming I-440 widening project.

The partial cloverleaf alternative would add a loop ramp on the northwest corner of the interchange for drivers on I-40 West who want to go south on the boulevard. The current setup has those motorists using a typical interstate exit ramp, then turning left at a traffic light at the end of the ramp. That often creates a backup down the ramp during commute times.

Construction on whichever alternative is selected could begin in 2019.

A public meeting to present the two alternatives will be held Tuesday, January 30, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the LaQuinta Inn and Suites, 101 Hospitality Court in Morrisville. It is off Airport Boulevard on the south side of the I-40 interchange.

Interested residents can attend the meeting at any time as there will not be a formal presentation, but will offer a chance to review maps of the two proposals and ask questions of NCDOT representatives. Attendees will also be able to submit comments in writing.

Interested parties who can't attend the meeting can review the maps at the public meetings section of the NCDOT website. They can also give their input on the project through February 14 by contacting NCDOT Project Manager Bob Deaton at rdeaton@ncdot.gov or (919) 707-6017.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on January 25, 2018, 09:59:30 AM
NCDOT is holding a public meeting on Jan. 30 to discuss two alternatives for improving the I-40/Airport Boulevard interchange in Morrisville.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14783

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation is planning to improve traffic flow at the Airport Boulevard interchange for Interstate 40 in Morrisville and wants public input on the project.

Two alternatives are under consideration. One is a diverging diamond interchange, which would be among the first of that type in the Triangle. The other is a partial cloverleaf interchange which is similar to what is currently in place. In both cases, the 47-year-old bridge that goes over I-40 would be replaced by a wider structure.

A diverging diamond interchange is intended to improve the flow of a high volume of traffic through an intersection or interchange without needing additional traffic signals or lanes, and it creates easier access for interstates. There are more than a dozen of them already handling traffic around the state with more planned, including on the upcoming I-440 widening project.

The partial cloverleaf alternative would add a loop ramp on the northwest corner of the interchange for drivers on I-40 West who want to go south on the boulevard. The current setup has those motorists using a typical interstate exit ramp, then turning left at a traffic light at the end of the ramp. That often creates a backup down the ramp during commute times.

Construction on whichever alternative is selected could begin in 2019.

A public meeting to present the two alternatives will be held Tuesday, January 30, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the LaQuinta Inn and Suites, 101 Hospitality Court in Morrisville. It is off Airport Boulevard on the south side of the I-40 interchange.

Interested residents can attend the meeting at any time as there will not be a formal presentation, but will offer a chance to review maps of the two proposals and ask questions of NCDOT representatives. Attendees will also be able to submit comments in writing.

Interested parties who can't attend the meeting can review the maps at the public meetings section of the NCDOT website. They can also give their input on the project through February 14 by contacting NCDOT Project Manager Bob Deaton at rdeaton@ncdot.gov or (919) 707-6017.

This improvement is much needed. Interesting that a SPUI is not being considered as a third option.

Mppheel

Driving back to Greenville from Chapel Hill today I couldn't imagine how confusing the drive would be from the Beltline through Knightdale if it was my first trip to Greenville and my only directions said to exit the Beltline at 87 north.  There are very little signs for 87 and many for 495.  NC should take down all the 495 signs and not halfway sign 87 on sign posts.  If they are not ready to sign it properly then don't sign it.

bob7374

Quote from: Mppheel on January 27, 2018, 10:00:20 PM
Driving back to Greenville from Chapel Hill today I couldn't imagine how confusing the drive would be from the Beltline through Knightdale if it was my first trip to Greenville and my only directions said to exit the Beltline at 87 north.  There are very little signs for 87 and many for 495.  NC should take down all the 495 signs and not halfway sign 87 on sign posts.  If they are not ready to sign it properly then don't sign it.
Agreed that this is confusing. Why the same people who put up the I-87 signs could not take down the I-495 signs at the same time is a good question. NCDOT itself on many of its press releases for Raleigh area projects (as well as on maps for the Compete 540 project) still use and show the I-495 designation. I sent an e-mail regarding this to NCDOT and they thanked me and said they would make revisions to the Complete 540 site hopefully prior to the public meetings in February. Nothing has happened yet.

LM117

It wouldn't be the first time NCDOT half-assed signed an interstate. When the former US-117 freeway between Goldsboro and Wilson became I-795 in 2007, they only used I-795 trailblazers. The BGS's, exit numbers and mile markers wasn't changed to show I-795 until early 2010. It took a few years before locals stopped calling it "the new 117" and called it I-795.

Hell, the I-795/US-264 concurrency still uses US-264 mile markers to this day and for whatever reason, Kenly is used as a control city for I-795 South at the US-264 split. It should've been Wilmington, given I-795's purpose of being a shortcut there.

ARMOURERERIC

There is updated Google satellite imagery.  Shows advancement of work on the Monroe bypass (but still not the eastern terminus) and NC 16 North of Dallas.

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2018, 03:46:34 PM
It wouldn't be the first time NCDOT half-assed signed an interstate. When the former US-117 freeway between Goldsboro and Wilson became I-795 in 2007, they only used I-795 trailblazers. The BGS's, exit numbers and mile markers wasn't changed to show I-795 until early 2010. It took a few years before locals stopped calling it "the new 117" and called it I-795.

Hell, the I-795/US-264 concurrency still uses US-264 mile markers to this day and for whatever reason, Kenly is used as a control city for I-795 South at the US-264 split. It should've been Wilmington, given I-795's purpose of being a shortcut there.

Kenly's not even on I-795 -- or old US 117 for that matter (it's on US 301 SW of the 795/264 divergence).  Since the concept of I-795 as a shortcut to Wilmington is a relatively recent occurrence (2016), one would think that Goldsboro would be the longstanding choice as a control city for I-795 south. 

LM117

Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2018, 03:50:03 AM

Kenly's not even on I-795 -- or old US 117 for that matter (it's on US 301 SW of the 795/264 divergence).  Since the concept of I-795 as a shortcut to Wilmington is a relatively recent occurrence (2016), one would think that Goldsboro would be the longstanding choice as a control city for I-795 south.

Goldsboro is a control city, but Kenly is used as second, which makes zero sense. Wilmington should've been the second.

https://goo.gl/maps/Va2mpaSYAU92

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on January 29, 2018, 06:57:01 AM

Goldsboro is a control city, but Kenly is used as second, which makes zero sense. Wilmington should've been the second.

Somebody proabably needs to contact NCDOT because the second control city is an error. However, it might not be since right after the I-795/US 264 split, US 301 is the next exit I-795 meets, and guess what control city is used for it? Kenly. Maybe it is a fastest way to Kenly by just using I-795 to US 301 instead of surface streets?

LM117

Quote from: Strider on January 29, 2018, 11:27:53 AM

Somebody proabably needs to contact NCDOT because the second control city is an error. However, it might not be since right after the I-795/US 264 split, US 301 is the next exit I-795 meets, and guess what control city is used for it? Kenly. Maybe it is a fastest way to Kenly by just using I-795 to US 301 instead of surface streets?

The thing is, anybody wanting to go to Kenly from US-264 East would simply hop on I-95 South. I can understand using Kenly as a control city for US-301, but not for I-795 itself. Wilmington isn't used as a control city until you reach the US-70 Bypass interchange just north of Goldsboro. There are also no roadside mileage signs on I-795 indicating how far Goldsboro, Wilson, or Wilmington are.

Kenly has been used as a control city for I-795 South for 10 years. I have a little hope that NCDOT will finally put 2 & 2 together once I-795 connects to I-40 and replace Kenly with Wilmington, but that's wishful thinking on my part...

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on January 29, 2018, 12:42:03 PM
Quote from: Strider on January 29, 2018, 11:27:53 AM

The thing is, anybody wanting to go to Kenly from US-264 East would simply hop on I-95 South. I can understand using Kenly as a control city for US-301, but not for I-795 itself. Wilmington isn't used as a control city until you reach the US-70 Bypass interchange just north of Goldsboro. There are also no roadside mileage signs on I-795 indicating how far Goldsboro, Wilson, or Wilmington are.

Kenly has been used as a control city for I-795 South for 10 years. I have a little hope that NCDOT will finally put 2 & 2 together once I-795 connects to I-40 and replace Kenly with Wilmington, but that's wishful thinking on my part...

Yeah, I agree. Staying on I-95 is much faster to get to Kenly. I think it is just for local traffic somehow, and they probably will change the control city once I-795 connects with I-40.

LM117

A new rest area is opening on I-77 in Iredell County, just south of Exit 59 on February 1.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14803

OracleUsr

I pass that rest area once in a while and I don't think the accel lanes are long enough for the left entrances to a 70mph highway.  Overly cautious?  Maybe...
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on January 29, 2018, 08:53:15 PM
A new rest area is opening on I-77 in Iredell County, just south of Exit 59 on February 1.

Sounded great until I read this part --

"With the opening of this facility, four other rest areas along I-77 will close — two at the Iredell/Yadkin county line, and two north of Mooresville.  Crews will be out on Feb. 1 to cover any remaining signs to these facilities, place barricades at the entrances from I-77, and place portable message signs advertising the closures about a mile before each rest area.  Overhead message signs will also be used on I-77 and I-40 beginning Thursday to encourage motorists to visit the new rest area."
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2018, 07:51:11 AM

"With the opening of this facility, four other rest areas along I-77 will close — two at the Iredell/Yadkin county line, and two north of Mooresville.  Crews will be out on Feb. 1 to cover any remaining signs to these facilities, place barricades at the entrances from I-77, and place portable message signs advertising the closures about a mile before each rest area.  Overhead message signs will also be used on I-77 and I-40 beginning Thursday to encourage motorists to visit the new rest area."

This is why I took pictures of the rest areas back in 2016 and loaded them onto WikiCommons:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_77_rest_areas_in_North_Carolina

Beltway

Quote from: WashuOtaku on January 30, 2018, 12:14:46 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 30, 2018, 07:51:11 AM
This is why I took pictures of the rest areas back in 2016 and loaded them onto WikiCommons:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_77_rest_areas_in_North_Carolina

Actually I see on a map that the 4 rest areas are all on a 30-mile section of I-77.  It makes sense to replace the old rest areas with one large new rest area in the median.

I see that the new rest area is accessed by left-hand exits and entrances.  I recall an NCDOT highway engineer in another forum that had conniption fits about left-hand exits and entrances.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

index

This story from the News & Observer is a good example on how highway development affects wildlife:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article197189949.html

New highway will threaten endangered mussels. NC promises $5M to breed them.

RALEIGH -
Before they can build the six-lane Triangle Expressway across southern Wake County, state officials must show that the highway won't do serious harm to two rare species of mussels that live in streams there.

A lot of the time, we, or at least just I think of wildlife affected by highway development as things like deer and other animals, not inland mussels in creeks. I honestly never even knew this was a thing with the mussels.

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

plain

About the new rest area.. this is the first one I've heard about being constructed in the median in a very long time. Matter of fact the last one I know was the ones on I-85 in between those double crossovers southwest of Thomasville, but that's different because that section of highway was newly constructed plus no left hand exits necessary. I'm actually surprised the feds let NCDOT get by with this new one. I thought they frown upon new left hand exits on interstates now or something
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.