News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: SectorZ on October 26, 2017, 06:44:37 PM
Connecticut has had one with stop signs on each side, and signs noting that 3 vehicles at a time could go through in a cluster. Don't know if they still use it, as I saw it about a decade ago on US 44 somewhere between Hartford and I-395. It seemed like a recipe for disaster in that it expected way too much faith in the driving public to not screw it up.

Yes, judging by their behavior at 4-way stop signs, counting to 3 is way beyond the capability of most drivers.

Truvelo

What's all this about? The 56/412 shield doesn't look right.

Speed limits limit life

US 89

Quote from: Truvelo on October 27, 2017, 06:50:46 PM

New Mexico is well known for nonstandard and poor signage. On usends's web site usends.com, he has several pictures of these awful signs. Here are a couple more from his site:

(from usends.com)

roadman65

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 27, 2017, 06:57:49 PM

New Mexico is well known for nonstandard and poor signage. On usends's web site usends.com, he has several pictures of these awful signs. Here are a couple more from his site:

(from usends.com)
New Mexico's way of signing like NJ and their 1-9 or 1 & 9. 

Orlando has one for US 17 & 92 in the Simon Mall property of the Florida Mall.  Also Atlantic County has (or had one) inside the Egg Harbor Circle near ACY in NJ for US 40 and 322.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/37265972874/in/dateposted-public/
Here is one that is odd.  The TO shield for US 41 South on the right.  Not only is it not going TO, but look at the assembly to the left.

Both signs installed as part of the same project, most likely by the same contractor too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

(from usends.com)
Well, the 62 180 285 sign is efficient.  :bigass:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: Truvelo on October 27, 2017, 06:50:46 PMWhat's all this about? The 56/412 shield doesn't look right.

What it is all about is weird and wonderful New Mexico signing.  There should be (or at any rate used to be) at least one US route shield with all three designations (56, 64, 412) stacked on top of each other.

This creativity originates from the NMDOT sign shop since very little small signing is contracted.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Truvelo

It's not just the stacking but also the numbers in the top shield are rather small. With numbers that small there would be space for all three routes to appear in one shield.
Speed limits limit life

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

(from usends.com)
New Mexico's way of signing like NJ and their 1-9 or 1 & 9. 

Orlando has one for US 17 & 92 in the Simon Mall property of the Florida Mall.  Also Atlantic County has (or had one) inside the Egg Harbor Circle near ACY in NJ for US 40 and 322.
Wait, why does it look like 285 gets priority?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

KEVIN_224

To update the Connecticut JCT 9/372 I posted a while back...Yes, a shop sticker on the sign's back side was punched as October 1990 in the lower left corner.

This sign is a few hundred feet south, at the corner of Worthington Ridge (unsigned CT Route 572) in Berlin, CT.

(The BGS that's way in the back reads CT 9 SOUTH - MIDDLETOWN - 1/2 MILE.)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 02, 2017, 02:23:46 PM
To update the Connecticut JCT 9/372 I posted a while back...Yes, a shop sticker on the sign's back side was punched as October 1990 in the lower left corner.

This sign is a few hundred feet south, at the corner of Worthington Ridge (unsigned CT Route 572) in Berlin, CT.

(The BGS that's way in the back reads CT 9 SOUTH - MIDDLETOWN - 1/2 MILE.)
What is weird about that second sign?

KEVIN_224

Nothing weird about it...just wondered if it was posted at the same time as the first one? I didn't think to check the back of that sign. I was just amazed the sticker wasn't 100% faded on the back of the JCT 9/372 sign, as it faces south.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 02, 2017, 06:21:58 PM
What is weird about that second sign?

This thread is all-encompassing. Unless there's an error with the design or information, and assuming some part of the sign is unique (or "weird"), it goes here. Good, bad, and ugly. Everything.

There's another thread for best-of, as well as worst-of, but those threads are only for the extremes. Everything else that might be somewhere else on the best-to-worst spectrum should go here.

Right on Red

Apparently from Nebraska. Probably a joke or marketing campaign. Though the font makes me think whoever designed this thing clearly knew what they were doing.

formulanone

Quote from: Right on Red on November 07, 2017, 10:07:28 PM
Apparently from Nebraska. Probably a joke or marketing campaign. Though the font makes me think whoever designed this thing clearly knew what they were doing.

Looks like something by Signs From the Near Future.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 02, 2017, 09:21:54 PM
Nothing weird about it...just wondered if it was posted at the same time as the first one? I didn't think to check the back of that sign. I was just amazed the sticker wasn't 100% faded on the back of the JCT 9/372 sign, as it faces south.
The first one dates to the extension of CT 9 to CT 72, completed in and around 1990-1993.  New Britain is a haven for old signs.  So is Middletown.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JJBers

There's no real problem, but the exit tab has been replaced by "DOWNTOWN"

CT 2 by JJBers, on Flickr
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 12:41:19 AM

CT 2 by JJBers, on Flickr
What does the downtown word mean?

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 12, 2017, 12:42:47 AM
Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 12:41:19 AM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4545/38348456901_907ae9683f_z.jpg

What does the downtown word mean?

I think it's safe to assume that it means "Downtown -- use Governor St".

jakeroot

https://goo.gl/vSar1Z -- all three left turns at this intersection have this same sign. I have driven through this intersection to visit the nearby A&W more times than I can count. I never noticed the sign before. Vancouver doesn't post many supplementary signs about what to do at left turn yield situations, but when they do, it's usually the same sign as the one in the US ("LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN").

GenExpwy

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2017, 02:05:19 AM
https://goo.gl/vSar1Z -- all three left turns at this intersection have this same sign. I have driven through this intersection to visit the nearby A&W more times than I can count. I never noticed the sign before. Vancouver doesn't post many supplementary signs about what to do at left turn yield situations, but when they do, it's usually the same sign as the one in the US ("LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN").

Couldn't someone interpret that as yield (then go), even when the signal is red?   :-o

kkt

Quote from: GenExpwy on November 12, 2017, 12:13:42 PM

Couldn't someone interpret that as yield (then go), even when the signal is red?   :-o

Try that out on the judge and let us know how it goes.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:51:07 PM

Couldn’t someone interpret that as yield (then go), even when the signal is red?   :-o

Well, if you have a good enough lawyer...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 12, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:51:07 PM

Well, if you have a good enough lawyer...

Not any more ambiguous than "LEFT TURN MUST YIELD".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.