Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCFKnights

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2017, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 12, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:51:07 PM
Quote from: GenExpwy on November 12, 2017, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2017, 02:05:19 AM
https://goo.gl/vSar1Z -- all three left turns at this intersection have this same sign. I have driven through this intersection to visit the nearby A&W more times than I can count. I never noticed the sign before. Vancouver doesn't post many supplementary signs about what to do at left turn yield situations, but when they do, it's usually the same sign as the one in the US ("LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN").

Couldn't someone interpret that as yield (then go), even when the signal is red?   :-o

Try that out on the judge and let us know how it goes.

Well, if you have a good enough lawyer...

Not any more ambiguous than "LEFT TURN MUST YIELD".
Yes, that sign usually has more text with it, such as ON green ball or some other qualifier. My initial reaction was to interpret the other sign as I may go on red as it seems they would have used the standard sign if I just had to yield on a green ball. Just as when I encounter a yield sign on the corner of my right turn with a signal, I interpret that as overriding the red ball and I don't have to stop on red to make a right as long as I yield.

Kniwt

Fort Smith, NWT is erecting some four-language signs:

Story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/street-signs-fort-smith-1.4394754

Quote"Stop" will be written in four languages: English, French, Cree and Chipewyan.

Community leaders are looking to expand on that idea and add Indigenous languages to other projects.

jakeroot

In other news, no one can read road signs anymore, because the information is repeated four times and is thusly four-times smaller than usual.

Canada has great symbol signs. They ought to expand on them in the multi-lingual areas. Perhaps a stop sign with a "HALT" hand?

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2017, 11:03:11 PM
In other news, no one can read road signs anymore, because the information is repeated four times and is thusly four-times smaller than usual.

Canada has great symbol signs. They ought to expand on them in the multi-lingual areas. Perhaps a stop sign with a "HALT" hand?

How about no wording at all? Works for the YIELD and DO NOT ENTER (except BC) signs. The octagon is an internationally recognized symbol, so it's not like people from other countries won't know what it means.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 13, 2017, 11:16:48 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2017, 11:03:11 PM

http://clipartview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/hand-stop-sign-clipart.jpg

How about no wording at all? Works for the YIELD and DO NOT ENTER (except BC) signs. The octagon is an internationally recognized symbol, so it's not like people from other countries won't know what it means.

More unconventional than you might imagine. The vast majority, if not all countries have some sort of message in the middle of the octagon. It's the definition of redundant, but it does seem to do a good job of reinforcing the meaning. Regardless, I'd be okay with getting rid of the "STOP" message in favor of either no message, or a "HALT" hand. Not a big fan of text+symbol if the symbol is well-designed.

jakeroot

Quote from: UCFKnights on November 13, 2017, 09:44:07 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2017, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 12, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:51:07 PM
Quote from: GenExpwy on November 12, 2017, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2017, 02:05:19 AM
https://goo.gl/vSar1Z -- all three left turns at this intersection have this same sign. I have driven through this intersection to visit the nearby A&W more times than I can count. I never noticed the sign before. Vancouver doesn't post many supplementary signs about what to do at left turn yield situations, but when they do, it's usually the same sign as the one in the US ("LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN").

Couldn't someone interpret that as yield (then go), even when the signal is red?   :-o

Try that out on the judge and let us know how it goes.

Well, if you have a good enough lawyer...

Not any more ambiguous than "LEFT TURN MUST YIELD".

Yes, that sign usually has more text with it, such as ON green ball or some other qualifier. My initial reaction was to interpret the other sign as I may go on red as it seems they would have used the standard sign if I just had to yield on a green ball. Just as when I encounter a yield sign on the corner of my right turn with a signal, I interpret that as overriding the red ball and I don't have to stop on red to make a right as long as I yield.

"Left turn must yield" signs aren't particularly common in my area of Washington State. Most green-ball-only left turns don't have any supplementary signage. Oregon uses the sign a lot, though.

Keep in mind that, in Canada, there is no standard supplementary sign for left turns. BC goes "above and beyond", installing informative variations of "yield on green" at some left turns (this is one example). Most seem to be taken straight from the MUTCD (nothing new in British Columbia). Most drivers in Canada don't, from my experience, approach an intersection, and look for signage instructing them what to do. I would imagine that only maybe 1 out of 20 drivers approaching this left turn even notice the sign. Americans might be thrown off by the sign, because it's non-standard compared to what we're used to. But it's just another variation up north, (probably) just as legally binding as the rest.

PHLBOS

While MassDOT & it predecessors still allow for routes to be spelled out in text in legends (i.e. TO RTE. XX rather than TO plus the route shield); this example and its lead-ins are the few that still does such for an Interstate route.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 16, 2017, 11:27:56 AM
While MassDOT & it predecessors still allow for routes to be spelled out in text in legends (i.e. TO RTE. XX rather than TO plus the route shield); this example and its lead-ins are the few that still does such for an Interstate route.

Are Mass's Paddle Signs subject to the same national regulations as BGS's?  I love the paddle signs, but they're seemingly unique to Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

J N Winkler

Quote from: tckma on November 16, 2017, 12:44:22 PMAre Mass's Paddle Signs subject to the same national regulations as BGS's?  I love the paddle signs, but they're seemingly unique to Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Yes and no.  The paddle signs are formally D-series signs (D6 and D8 series, to be precise) and are subject to most of the criteria listed in the conventional-road guide signing chapter in the federal MUTCD.  However, the Massachusetts MUTCD supplement has certain carve-outs concerning them.  They are not required to have mixed-case destination legend, for example (e.g., contract 607495 will install new paddle signs with all-uppercase destinations, while contract 608554 will install new paddle signs with mixed-case destinations).

The paddle sign bible is here:

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficandSafetyEngineering/PoliciesandDesignGuidelines/GuideSignPolicyforSecondaryStateHighways.aspx
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

I was down in Olympia, Washington just today. I was on the 101, merging onto I-5. I was looking for the END sign, which I found, but something about the shield doesn't look right. Is the "US" text supposed to go above the number? I'm used to seeing the shield without "US" above the number, but I can't remember if that's an old practice that somehow made its way onto a new-ish (<5 years old) marker, or if it's one of those optional additions.

https://goo.gl/sxaT2z

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2017, 03:15:55 AM
I was down in Olympia, Washington just today. I was on the 101, merging onto I-5. I was looking for the END sign, which I found, but something about the shield doesn't look right. Is the "US" text supposed to go above the number? I'm used to seeing the shield without "US" above the number, but I can't remember if that's an old practice that somehow made its way onto a new-ish (<5 years old) marker, or if it's one of those optional additions.

I'm guessing they wanted to mimic an older US Route shield.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 16, 2017, 05:43:01 PM
Quote from: tckma on November 16, 2017, 12:44:22 PMAre Mass's Paddle Signs subject to the same national regulations as BGS's?  I love the paddle signs, but they're seemingly unique to Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Yes and no.  The paddle signs are formally D-series signs (D6 and D8 series, to be precise) and are subject to most of the criteria listed in the conventional-road guide signing chapter in the federal MUTCD.  However, the Massachusetts MUTCD supplement has certain carve-outs concerning them.  They are not required to have mixed-case destination legend, for example (e.g., contract 607495 will install new paddle signs with all-uppercase destinations, while contract 608554 will install new paddle signs with mixed-case destinations).

The paddle sign bible is here:

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/TrafficandSafetyEngineering/PoliciesandDesignGuidelines/GuideSignPolicyforSecondaryStateHighways.aspx

Bold emphasis added.
Quote from:  2005 Edition of MassHighway Guide Sign Policy for Secondary State RoutesRoute signs shall be used for all intersecting numbered routes on signs, and should be used for "trailblazer"  information as well. However, on D6 and D8 signs, text (i.e. "˜To Route 202') may be used for "˜trailblazer' information to conserve space where necessary.

Worth noting: MassDOT has since adopted the use of mixed-case lettering for its D6/D8 signs.
Example of new D6/D8 style (i.e. now more paddle-style mounting for the D6 sign)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 17, 2017, 03:38:36 AM

https://i.imgur.com/3HDJHVp.png

Must be the case. Or a former Caltrans employee worked on the sign.

Michael

I was looking around an area I got while playing GeoGuessr earlier, and found these double-sided chevrons.  At first I thought they were reusing the other side of old signs, but all of the chevrons on the curve are this way.

jbnv

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 17, 2017, 03:38:36 AM
I was down in Olympia, Washington just today. I was on the 101, merging onto I-5. I was looking for the END sign, which I found, but something about the shield doesn't look right. Is the "US" text supposed to go above the number? I'm used to seeing the shield without "US" above the number, but I can't remember if that's an old practice that somehow made its way onto a new-ish (<5 years old) marker, or if it's one of those optional additions. <snip>

I remember seeing some US 12/14 shields near Madison, WI, with the US above the number. However, that was back in 2007. I think you can barely see it on this GSV, but looks like those signs have been replaced.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/26513361299/in/pool-3034019@N21/
How about this one in the way that the FL 39A shield was applied directly over the FL 39 shield for Buchman Highway.  Part of the shield its covering is still visible.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

They put up a couple of new signs to guide traffic from CT Route 9 North to CT Route 372 West in Berlin, CT this week. They assume there will be an increase in traffic when the commuter rail starts up (between New Haven and Springfield, MA) next year. It was hard to get a good shot of the specs sticker on the back of the sign at 6:45 AM, with local sunrise being 6:58 AM.

SectorZ

Quote from: Michael on November 17, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
I was looking around an area I got while playing GeoGuessr earlier, and found these double-sided chevrons.  At first I thought they were reusing the other side of old signs, but all of the chevrons on the curve are this way.

Wonder why they didn't mount them to the side of the poles.

PHLBOS

Yesterday, while driving along I-95 northbound in Mansfield, MA; I noticed this Tale of Two 'Cs' BGS.  Series E-Mod for one; Series E for the other.

It's too bad the two identical lower-case letters weren't accidentally furnished in a similar manner.  Such IMHO would've shown a more sensible (& cheaper) approach to addressing the readability issues associated w/Series E-Mod that triggered the whole Clearview font debate.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 09:24:18 PM
Somewhere off of a county route in Chilton County, AL between Clanton, AL and Verbena, AL:

images snipped

If it's not county maintained, then what the hell is a blue pentagon with the name of the county doing on it?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 04, 2017, 09:59:55 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 09:24:18 PM
Somewhere off of a county route in Chilton County, AL between Clanton, AL and Verbena, AL:

images snipped

If it’s not county maintained, then what the hell is a blue pentagon with the name of the county doing on it?
Chilton County (and Chilton Not County Maintained) don't use street names, but instead county routes on all of their roads.

(They/Them)

tckma

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 11:13:08 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on December 04, 2017, 09:59:55 PM
If it's not county maintained, then what the hell is a blue pentagon with the name of the county doing on it?
Chilton County (and Chilton Not County Maintained) don't use street names, but instead county routes on all of their roads.

So why isn't it township route 400 or whoever-maintains-this-road route 400 then?

kkt

Whoever drives on that road the most and has the lowest suspension is in charge if filling in the potholes?

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kkt on December 05, 2017, 05:07:13 PM
Whoever drives on that road the most and has the lowest suspension is in charge if filling in the potholes?

That or whoever is required to do community service. Don't understand why it isn't county maintained.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.