News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2018, 06:21:00 PM
I didn't even mean to use an Office gif. Stanley just happened to say what I was thinking.
Lol, I was going to attach an image but my phone produced this:

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Honestly Jake, those signs are IMO better than the rectangle one way signs, especially for places with high sun glare.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 13, 2018, 07:03:25 PM
Lol, I was going to attach an image but my phone produced this: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181214/cf83160c5bd0339286122b089237b408.jpg

Screenshotted copyrighted videos usually come out as black. Was that the case?

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 13, 2018, 07:04:14 PM
Honestly Jake, those signs are IMO better than the rectangle one way signs, especially for places with high sun glare.

I agree, I like all manner of cut-out signs.

Bruce

Seen in Waitsburg, WA on Google Maps:

WA 124 continues west through town but makes a short detour because of a shift in the street grid. The next shield is only a few feet away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2701788,-118.1548398,3a,89.3y,294.3h,88.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz35thrFqYecaUAknT324Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

froggie

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 26, 2018, 01:43:20 PM
Found this the other day on Iowa 44 about nine miles west of Guthrie Center. Anyone know of any other lesser-known divides that are marked with prominent signs?

Jumping in late here, but the Laurentian Divide is (or at least was when I last passed through) signed on US 53 north of Virginia, MN.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on December 15, 2018, 08:20:18 AM
Jumping in late here, but the Laurentian Divide is (or at least was when I last passed through) signed on US 53 north of Virginia, MN.

I'd call that a pretty well-known divide, but then again I specifically remember being taught about it in middle school, which certainly isn't the same elsewhere as it was in MN.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2018, 10:57:21 PM
WA-112 near Pillar Point Park, Clallam County: http://bit.ly/2LgEapb

Kinda hard to do since an ashtray hasn't been installed in a new car in many many years.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ipeters61

In Delaware, some towns/communities are marked by very little green signs:

Except this one in Wyoming, DE which I spotted yesterday, which is in blue and buff, the state colors (using Bing because Google blurred the sign too much :rolleyes:):

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Found a CR J6-7 Shield yesterday.  I've never seen another co-signed shield of any highwah type in California before:

https://flic.kr/p/2dAjdqH

Amtrakprod

jakeroot

Quote from: cjk374 on December 16, 2018, 11:33:20 AM

Kinda hard to do since an ashtray hasn't been installed in a new car in many many years.

I assume those who smoke in their car (the target audience) probably have ashtrays, either built-in or added on via the cupholder.

Amtrakprod

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2018, 08:57:22 PM

I assume those who smoke in their car (the target audience) probably have ashtrays, either built-in or added on via the cupholder.
I've witnessed plenty of smokers, at least in Delaware, who decide to use the street as their ashtray while driving.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

thenetwork

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 16, 2018, 09:39:33 PM
Look at how NHDOT covers old construction sites.

iPhone

Unless it's *how* they attached the "cover" for the construction sign, that is common in a lot of states. 

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 16, 2018, 09:43:01 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2018, 08:57:22 PM

I've witnessed plenty of smokers, at least in Delaware, who decide to use the street as their ashtray while driving.

And I suppose that's not the end of the world on the east coast, since east coast cities don't go months without rain, like west coast cities can. Seattle went 51 days without rain back in 2017. The grass and trees are just waiting for a spark.

roadman65

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 16, 2018, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 15, 2018, 12:33:22 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/32455478758/in/dateposted-public/
An entire county used as a control city for MO Route 370 in MO.

The same thing is done for the ramp from NB IL 3 to SB/WB I-255.
Interesting considering that using St. Louis here would work from this point of travel.

One though may argue in Virginia signing Arlington is signing a county as technically it is a county and not a city.  However for all practical purposes using Arlington is like stating a city as most people think the county is that and really functions as that, but because there is no municipal government running Arlington and all done at a county level its like a rural county without a city in it.

Then the 5 boroughs of NYC could be considered signing a county, but not because you would have to say the actual county name and with both The Bronx and Queens using the names without county in the end is saying the borough name and not the county there as well.

Sheryl Crowe

ErmineNotyours

On the Interstate Bridge southbound, I-5 approaching Portland, Oregon.  For years I had seen this neon sign, turned off, and couldn't quite tell at freeway speeds what it was supposed to say.  I finally walked out on the sidewalk to take a picture in late 1998, with a film camera.  Sever neon elements are stacked on top of each other to indicate a lane is closed or blocked ahead at some distance, including a fraction.  I think I remember seeing another such sign on a freeway near Portland, perhaps on US 26.  All such signs have been removed, in favor of more versatile variable message signs.

Interstate Bridge, Oregon neon lane closure sign by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

ipeters61

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 24, 2018, 11:33:22 AM
On the Interstate Bridge southbound, I-5 approaching Portland, Oregon.  For years I had seen this neon sign, turned off, and couldn't quite tell at freeway speeds what it was supposed to say.  I finally walked out on the sidewalk to take a picture in late 1998, with a film camera.  Sever neon elements are stacked on top of each other to indicate a lane is closed or blocked ahead at some distance, including a fraction.  I think I remember seeing another such sign on a freeway near Portland, perhaps on US 26.  All such signs have been removed, in favor of more versatile variable message signs.

Interstate Bridge, Oregon neon lane closure sign by Arthur Allen, on Flickr
Reminds me of the old neon signs on the NJ Turnpike, except this one is much more compact: https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/i-95/lneon.jpg
Instagram | Clinched Map

D-Dey65

Found an old-fashioned black and white directional sign at South 10th Street (former OK 124) between Broadway and Main Street (now BL-40) in Henryetta, Oklahoma:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4387278,-95.9934485,3a,75y,359.83h,94.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSvuLsMzgwozUWbpW9EuI1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

ipeters61

Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.