News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Summer School Signs

Started by Brian556, June 10, 2022, 09:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

It is interesting to see the different approaches municipalities have to school zone sign alterations for summer school. Lewisville alters all assemblies, while Flower Mound alters only the first sign. On some divided streets, they alter the first sign on both sides, and on other streets the alter only the one on the right

DSC_0132  , on Flickr
Lewisville

DSC_0128  , on Flickr
Flower Mound

Hobart

Illinois doesn't modify any signs at all. I didn't even know there were states that did change the signs.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

UCFKnights

Quote from: Hobart on June 10, 2022, 10:10:07 PM
Illinois doesn't modify any signs at all. I didn't even know there were states that did change the signs.
Areas near me don't even run the lights on the signs at all for summer school, let alone change signs

roadfro

In the Las Vegas area, we used to have many elementary schools (and some middle schools for a short time) that were on year-round calendars due to overcrowding. For those schools, school zone signage had a "12 Month" placard below the normal school zone sign assembly to notify drivers that the zones were in effect all year.

Aside from that, I don't think they did any special signage for regular 9-month schools where summer sessions may be held. Although I think Clark County School District only really did summer school for high school age students–aside from school zones adjacent to the high school (which typically use flashers instead of signs with static times), there aren't really school zones/crossing zones for high schools so there wouldn't be any signs to modify for summer.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Dirt Roads

One of our local elementary schools is adjacent to the countywide year-round elementary school.  Those school zone signs have been modified with a yellow banner saying "Year-Round".  I've seen them elsewhere in North Carolina, but I don't think every year-round school has them.

Big John

And the special summer school placards are in wrong-contrast (dark on light) clearview.

jakeroot

I'm not used to seeing school zones with times anymore. Most around me are "when flashing"  or, if there's not much money, "when children are present" .

Scott5114

Meanwhile, the ones on my street still flash even when school is out for the year. :rolleyes:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

amberjns

I've lived in Iowa all my life, and after moving to Texas, these signs confused me.  Most school-zone signs do not include a posting of the enforcement hours, and I had to play some sort of a guessing game as I approached the schools. The next step was to figure out where the zone ends.

Advertising link removed.  --J N Winkler

epzik8

Definitely not a Maryland/mid-Atlantic/Northeast thing
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JoePCool14

Quote from: amberjns on October 11, 2022, 06:32:52 AM
I've lived in Iowa all my life, and after moving to Texas, these signs confused me. Most school-zone signs do not include a posting of the enforcement hours, and I had to play some sort of a guessing game as I approached the schools. The next step was to figure out where the zone ends  :-|

The zone typically should end at the next standard speed limit sign. But thankfully, School Zone Ends signs have been more common, at least in Illinois. Definitely makes things more clear.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

These signs are extra important given the crowd normally at summer school might not be as good at looking both ways  :pan:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 25, 2022, 11:56:50 PM
These signs are extra important given the crowd normally at summer school might not be as good at looking both ways  :pan:

I can't believe it took four+ months to pick that low-hanging fruit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.