News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: ftballfan on May 21, 2011, 09:40:19 AM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 19, 2011, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: deanej on May 19, 2011, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: Michael on May 19, 2011, 12:54:36 AM
Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Clearview looked too "friendly".  This sign is a perfect example of that.
That reminds me of the uproar in my AP American class when the slide on Indian removal was made in Comic Sans.  The fond was "too happy".
http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/
Good site.
I think I just hit on the reason why I dislike Clearview so much. It just looks inappropriate in some way. Regardless of its supposed better legibility, it looks to me like something somebody did just to "pretty up" road signs. They just don't look real to me, and I'm not sure they ever will. Whenever I see a sign in Clearview, I always want to know what it looked like in FHWA. Fortunately, since a good number of the states that use Clearview have just switched over in the last few years, most signs in Google Street View photos outside of the earliest states to switch over are still in FHWA.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on June 05, 2011, 02:02:39 PM
I knew Thruway signs were ugly, but I had no idea it could get this bad:

very poor proportions there - tiny shields, huge text
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on June 05, 2011, 02:02:39 PM
I knew Thruway signs were ugly, but I had no idea it could get this bad:

You should see some of the new ones in Buffalo! The new ones WB for the US219 exit are particularly bad...not only do they have the new multiple-arrow signs, but the tiny US219 shield also has Clearview numbers! Yuck!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 05, 2011, 11:38:33 AM
Quote from: roadfro on June 05, 2011, 04:39:14 AM
Are you sure the exit numbers are Clearview. I'm no font guru, but it doesn't quite look the same to me... 
I think you misunderstood what I said in my last post.  I said the numerals for the exit and route numbers are still FHWA Series E and D.  This I am 100% certain!

Got my wires crossed while typing. That's what happens when I post while tired...

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 05, 2011, 12:13:41 PM
Those Nevada signs have the PennDOT curse: exit tabs in FHWA gothic with the control cities in clearview. They don't look too horrible, plus I like that cantilever.

So the word "EXIT" is in Clearview while the numbers are FHWA gothic? I'm wondering why they'd use FHWA numerals in the exit tab (other than the fact that most roadgeeks dislike the Clearview numbers more than anything)...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Ian

Quote from: roadfro on June 05, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
So the word "EXIT" is in Clearview while the numbers are FHWA gothic? I'm wondering why they'd use FHWA numerals in the exit tab (other than the fact that most roadgeeks dislike the Clearview numbers more than anything)...

Is the word "EXIT" really in Clearview? I couldn't really tell to be honest. PennDOT is very odd with their clearview, they seem to only use it on the control cities and THAT'S IT. Even the distances are in FHWA gothic!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

J N Winkler

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 05, 2011, 05:32:51 PMIs the word "EXIT" really in Clearview? I couldn't really tell to be honest.

I believe it is, though I can't exclude the possibility that "EXIT" is in Series D.  I can however guarantee that it is neither Series E nor Series E Modified.

QuotePennDOT is very odd with their clearview, they seem to only use it on the control cities and THAT'S IT. Even the distances are in FHWA gothic!

It varies, but what you describe is the dominant approach ("control cities" = primary destination legend).  I have seen PennDOT signing plans with Clearview exit tabs and other signing plans with Clearview shield digits.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The Premier

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 05, 2011, 05:32:51 PM
So the word "EXIT" is in Clearview while the numbers are FHWA gothic?

Yep, although it is difficult to see it IMO. :nod:
Alex P. Dent

Scott5114

In both of the Nevada signs, "EXIT" is in fact in Clearview.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

myosh_tino

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
In both of the Nevada signs, "EXIT" is in fact in Clearview.
To me, it was very difficult to determine if the word "EXIT" was clearview or FHWA.  FWIW, on my sign drawings, the word "EXIT" is still FHWA Series E.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

InterstateNG

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 15, 2011, 10:34:33 PM
After spending the weekend in eastern Ohio, I saw a few clearview signs on both I-70 and I-77. To be honest, they don't look that bad, at least compared to other states.

I was in western/central Ohio last weekend and there's Clearview in those locations as well.
I demand an apology.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Those Nevada signs have the PennDOT curse: exit tabs in FHWA gothic with the control cities in clearview. They don't look too horrible, plus I like that cantilever.

The hell are you calling that a 'curse' for?  They're keeping the Clearview to a minimum.  That's about the only way I can tolerate its implementation.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

CL

Quote from: US-43|72 on June 10, 2011, 12:50:46 AM

The hell are you calling that a 'curse' for?  They're keeping the Clearview to a minimum.  That's about the only way I can tolerate its implementation.

Without advocating one font over the other, you've gotta keep it consistent on signage. If you're going to go Clearview, make everything (route shields exempted) in the new typeface. A mix of the two looks ugly, in my opinion.
Infrastructure. The city.

myosh_tino

Quote from: CL on June 10, 2011, 12:54:33 AM

The hell are you calling that a 'curse' for?  They're keeping the Clearview to a minimum.  That's about the only way I can tolerate its implementation.

Without advocating one font over the other, you've gotta keep it consistent on signage. If you're going to go Clearview, make everything (route shields exempted) in the new typeface. A mix of the two looks ugly, in my opinion.
I completely 100% disagree.  What's wrong with creating a hybrid alphabet with Clearview letters and FHWA numbers?  Like some others here, I can somewhat tolerate Clearview letters but I absolutely despise the numbers.  If a compromise has (and I stress HAS) to be made, then I'm willing to accept Clearview letters but keep the FHWA numbers.

Seriously, which one of these two shields looks better?
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: CL on June 10, 2011, 12:54:33 AMA mix of the two looks ugly, in my opinion.

But not nearly as ugly as Clearview numerals...or Clearview itself, but I guess at this point it's rather pointless to rant about that, since we appear to be stuck with it.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 10, 2011, 01:15:31 AM

the Clearview 369 has the "9" a thinner weight than the "36".  Also, I'd move the digits to the left so that they are centered more correctly.

Not that it would make it look anywhere near as good as the one on the left, but it would help.

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 10, 2011, 01:39:55 AM
the Clearview 369 has the "9" a thinner weight than the "36".  Also, I'd move the digits to the left so that they are centered more correctly.

Not that it would make it look anywhere near as good as the one on the left, but it would help.
I noticed that too.  It must be a quirk in the Roadgeek fonts for Series 4W because I didn't tweak anything except for the inter-character spacing (-50 for the Series D shield and -75 for the Series 4W shield).

Here's a better comparison of the FHWA vs Clearview Digits...
The biggest problem I have with the clearview digits are the 2, 6 and 9 and, to a lesser extend, the 4 and 5.

Quillz

The Roadgeek imitations of the Clearview fonts are off quite a bit. It was noted in another topic. If you would like the real Clearview fonts, contact me and I can send you a copy.

Ian

The hell are you calling that a 'curse' for?  They're keeping the Clearview to a minimum.  That's about the only way I can tolerate its implementation.

By 'curse,' I meant something that PennDOT has been known to do. I actually don't mind them mixing it up a bit...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 10, 2011, 01:49:40 AM
I noticed that too.  It must be a quirk in the Roadgeek fonts for Series 4W because I didn't tweak anything except for the inter-character spacing (-50 for the Series D shield and -75 for the Series 4W shield).

[diagram omitted]

yeah, now that I look at it, I see what you are saying.  I have the Roadgeek Clearview set but never actually use them.  Hah.  looks like 0 is randomly thinner-stroke as well.

QuoteThe biggest problem I have with the clearview digits are the 2, 6 and 9 and, to a lesser extend, the 4 and 5.

I really dislike the 5.  I am trying to figure out why I don't like the 6 and 9 because it is very similar to classic New York font, which I do like.

I have no problem with the notched 4 as it looks fairly similar to old block-font 4.

I also think the head on the 1 is way too exaggerated.  and for some reason don't like the 7.

3, 8, 0 are fine. 

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 10, 2011, 01:15:31 AM
Quote from: CL on June 10, 2011, 12:54:33 AM

I completely 100% disagree.  What's wrong with creating a hybrid alphabet with Clearview letters and FHWA numbers?  Like some others here, I can somewhat tolerate Clearview letters but I absolutely despise the numbers.  If a compromise has (and I stress HAS) to be made, then I'm willing to accept Clearview letters but keep the FHWA numbers.

Seriously, which one of these two shields looks better?

Right, which is why I say keep the route shields in Highway Gothic. I wholly, vehemently despise route shields with Clearview numerals. But... I'd rather keep the exit tab numerals Clearview, as well as any other numeral on the sign (e.g., the "25" on 25th St). Dunno, that's just personal preference (Utah, in its limited application of Clearview, does it that way and I don't mind).

Quillz

Both of those posted shields don't look very good in the first place, though. I think a well-designed route shield (i.e. the numbers are sized in proper proportion to the rest of the shield, etc.) can look fine when using Clearview numerals.

Had Clearview been the standard for all these decades, I wonder what our reaction might be to the FHWA Series fonts, had they been brand new.

CL

Quote from: Quillz on June 10, 2011, 01:43:02 PM
Both of those posted shields don't look very good in the first place, though.

The shield is in desperate need of series B or C numerals, if you ask me, a la . A pet peeve of mine has always been the three-digit shields whose numerals look like they're floating at the top.

myosh_tino

Both of those posted shields don't look very good in the first place, though. I think a well-designed route shield (i.e. the numbers are sized in proper proportion to the rest of the shield, etc.) can look fine when using Clearview numerals.
Actually, the shields I posted are California-spec 3-digit Interstate shields for use on guide signs which differs significantly from the FHWA-spec shield.  The California-spec use 15" numerals on a 45x38 shield.

Edit: Here are three current California-spec 2-digit Interstate sheilds (essentially 1957-spec shields).  The first uses the normal FHWA fonts (Series C and D).  The second one uses all Clearview but keeps the all caps INTERSTATE and state name.  The third one uses mixed case for INTERSTATE and state name...

I also made Clearview and FHWA versions of the California state route shield...

The Interstate shields are all 36x36 with 12-inch numerals.  The California state route shields are 30x31.25 and also use 12-inch numerals.  These are all route marker shields and are not to be used on guide signs.

hbelkins

Quote from: Quillz on June 10, 2011, 06:10:55 AM
The Roadgeek imitations of the Clearview fonts are off quite a bit. It was noted in another topic. If you would like the real Clearview fonts, contact me and I can send you a copy.

Sent you a private message with the e-mail address to use.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 10, 2011, 01:59:53 PM
Actually, the shields I posted are California-spec 3-digit Interstate shields for use on guide signs which differs significantly from the FHWA-spec shield.  The California-spec use 15" numerals on a 45x38 shield.

Edit: Here are three current California-spec 2-digit Interstate sheilds (essentially 1957-spec shields).  The first uses the normal FHWA fonts (Series C and D).  The second one uses all Clearview but keeps the all caps INTERSTATE and state name.  The third one uses mixed case for INTERSTATE and state name...

I also made Clearview and FHWA versions of the California state route shield...

The Interstate shields are all 36x36 with 12-inch numerals.  The California state route shields are 30x31.25 and also use 12-inch numerals.  These are all route marker shields and are not to be used on guide signs.
6 and 9 are my least favorite Clearview digits (I like the 1-x iteration best.) The 5 looks fine to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.