News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

mjb2002

I made a FHWA, Helvetica and Clearview version of possible replacements for the current all caps street sign along the street where we live.

The signs are one foot in height and of various lengths.

mightyace

^^^

On the Clearview signs, I never noticed before this that the lower case "L" is taller than the upper case letters.  That, IMHO, is a major style violation!  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

J N Winkler

Quote from: mightyace on June 12, 2011, 04:54:25 AMOn the Clearview signs, I never noticed before this that the lower case "L" is taller than the upper case letters.  That, IMHO, is a major style violation!  :pan:

I am not fussed about it personally, but it is a major reason it is so hard to design Clearview signs in accord with freeway guide sign design rules (the same rules apply to signs using Clearview and FHWA Series E Modified, except of course that Clearview does not have lowercase loop height equal to three-quarters capital letter height, so you just have to use three-quarters capital letter height measured from top to bottom of capital letters only for vertical spacing).  Lowercase i is even worse than lowercase l, which is actually the same height as other lowercase letters with ascenders, like d.  When I have to combine Clearview text blocks, I correct for the excess height of the lowercase letters with ascenders with separate scripts for l, d, etc. and for i.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadfro

Quote from: mightyace on June 12, 2011, 04:54:25 AM
On the Clearview signs, I never noticed before this that the lower case "L" is taller than the upper case letters.  That, IMHO, is a major style violation!  :pan:

IIRC, that is one of the "selling points" of Clearview. Several of the lowercase letters are taller than uppercase letter heights... I think this goes towards improved legibility at a distance.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mightyace

^^^

That lends further support to my theory that many of the things that make Clearview ugly to most of us are done on purpose!

Because it is not normal, it stands out and draws the eye to it.

As the main goal is readability, it succeeds.

But, does it really have to be readability vs. aesthetics?  I think not.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on June 13, 2011, 12:23:13 PM
That lends further support to my theory that many of the things that make Clearview ugly to most of us are done on purpose!

Because it is not normal, it stands out and draws the eye to it.

As the main goal is readability, it succeeds.

But, does it really have to be readability vs. aesthetics?  I think not.

bear in mind, also, that Clearview tends to look a lot better in the field than in our photos and our diagrams that we discuss here.  The reason is mainly halation - some of the more odd stroke variations actually are designed to cancel out, given standards of reflectivity and intended reading distance.  

this is especially noticeable at night.  I've always disliked Clearview during the day, but at night it isn't nearly as bothersome.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

I don't mind Clearview in general, but the signs shown in the pictures below are hideous. They're all relatively new Clearview signs found on VA-27 between the Pentagon and the interchange with US-50. The initial capital letters are simply way too big compared to all the others. When I see the US-50 sign shown in the third picture, my eye sees the "WFC" more than any of the other text. The signs in the fourth picture, while still ugly, are in my view the least offensive of this bunch because they have the fewest words per sign. That is, I think having multiple disproportionately large uppercase letters on multiple lines on a single sign draws too much attention to the uppercase letters at the expense of the rest of the sign.

In particular, compare "Clarendon" as seen here to the points made by mightyace and J N Winkler further up the thread about some of the lowercase letters being taller than the uppercase.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 14, 2011, 03:28:52 PM
I don't mind Clearview in general, but the signs shown in the pictures below are hideous. They're all relatively new Clearview signs found on VA-27 between the Pentagon and the interchange with US-50. The initial capital letters are simply way too big compared to all the others. When I see the US-50 sign shown in the third picture, my eye sees the "WFC" more than any of the other text. The signs in the fourth picture, while still ugly, are in my view the least offensive of this bunch because they have the fewest words per sign. That is, I think having multiple disproportionately large uppercase letters on multiple lines on a single sign draws too much attention to the uppercase letters at the expense of the rest of the sign.

In particular, compare "Clarendon" as seen here to the points made by mightyace and J N Winkler further up the thread about some of the lowercase letters being taller than the uppercase.

All four of those examples look like garbage to me as well. Similar, but worse Clearview spacing (which I have mentioned before):

1995hoo

^^^^

I don't like the way the lowercase letters aren't aligned with the bases of the uppercase letters on that sign. Or, put differently, if the bottom of the lowercase letters is the baseline (that is, where you'd put your letters if you were writing on lined paper), the uppercase letters seem to be straddling that baseline. Yuk. The numerators on the fractions are too close to the main numbers as well. I've seen at least one Clearview sign around here where they didn't use a fraction and instead made it the way we commonly type fractions, i.e., 1/2, but off the top of my head I can't remember which sign that was. I think the fractions on the signs I posted above look OK, but the ones on the sign you posted are hideous.

formulanone

To me, Clearview isn't awful, but those "l"s remind me of why I can't stand it; it's just like the Windows font "Trebuchet":

They don't lead into the next letter, but they distract, in my opinion. The the finishing "stroke" of the "a" and the "d" aren't the same, which is also annoying. Otherwise, Clearview does look quite crisp when spaced properly; I see it outside of Florida, and sometimes it looks right, other times...not so much.

That said, I like my "traditional" highway fonts, like FHWA. Helvetica looks okay, but I think it doesn't work well for a large block of text, or when viewed at speed.

agentsteel53

Clearview is pretty bad, but it is worlds ahead of Helvetica/Arial/Univers/Grotesque*/etc.

*about the least grotesque font you can imagine.  no idea why they call it that.

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Are the capital letters also heavier in addition to being bigger, or is that just an illusion of them being taller?  My first instinct was to say that the capital letters were bolded rather than taller, but then I realized the L in Clarendon, and I was set straight.

Either way, they're ugly.

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 14, 2011, 10:21:43 PM

*about the least grotesque font you can imagine.  no idea why they call it that.
Maybe it was the first?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 14, 2011, 10:23:00 PM

Are the capital letters also heavier in addition to being bigger, or is that just an illusion of them being taller?  My first instinct was to say that the capital letters were bolded rather than taller, but then I realized the L in Clarendon, and I was set straight.

I thought the same thing–they look like boldface. I didn't mention it because I wanted to see if anyone else thought the same and I didn't want to plant the idea in anyone's mind. Those letters almost remind me of the "drop cap" style used in some books to start chapters (except that they don't drop below the baseline)–you know, the style where the chapter starts with one very big capital letter at the start of the first paragraph.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 14, 2011, 10:23:00 PMAre the capital letters also heavier in addition to being bigger, or is that just an illusion of them being taller?  My first instinct was to say that the capital letters were bolded rather than taller, but then I realized the L in Clarendon, and I was set straight.

Nope, the capital letters aren't bolded--they just look that way by comparison with the lowercase letters because they are taller and so have greater stroke width.

If the capital letters were sized in correct proportion to the lowercase letters, the l in "Clarendon" would be taller than the C.

This mismatch is not unique to Clearview.  There are a lot of poorly trained sign designers out there who misunderstand the MUTCD's references to different sizes for uppercase and lowercase letters and they make this mistake in Series E Modified as well as Clearview.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 14, 2011, 10:21:43 PM
Clearview is pretty bad, but it is worlds ahead of Helvetica/Arial/Univers/Grotesque*/etc.

Why the dislike of Helvetica/Arial/Univers?

I much prefer sans serif fonts to serif fonts, especially in large size applications such as signs and newspaper headlines. Much cleaner and easier (for me, at least) to read than serif fonts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2011, 11:19:48 AM
Why the dislike of Helvetica/Arial/Univers?

I just find it a generally unattractive font, and badly overused.  I actually don't think Helvetica is any better-looking than Arial; there's a few subtle differences here and there but for the most part it's identical. 

FHWA 1948 Series D is a significantly better-looking font than Helvetica, for a similar width.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Helvetica and Arial can look fine in certain situations. Like in an office, having all of the door signs in Helvetica is appropriate. All of the incidental signage where I work (stuff like No Smoking signs, "This Window Closed", informational signs, section name signs, etc) are done in white on black with hollow stroke Arial (like you set the stroke to white in Inkscape but didn't set a fill). It actually looks pretty classy.

Put Arial or Helvetica on a road sign and it's just out of place. I think Helvetica looks best in black and white. It's all business It doesn't play as well with bright colors like you would see on a road sign.

And I'll agree that a big part of how good Clearview looks is what state is using it. Texas's Clearview implementation makes it look pretty good. Oklahoma is as hit or miss with it as they are with FHWA Series–mostly miss.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Good clearview usage:

Okay clearview usage:

Horrible clearview usage:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

My point is proven. The surefire way to make Clearview ugly is to use a too-large font size.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Normally I'd counter that comment with something about Highway Gothic looking awful when the font size is too large too, but you have a point. There appears to be something about Clearview that makes it easier to layout a sign poorly.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2011, 12:00:39 AM
My point is proven. The surefire way to make Clearview ugly is to use a too-large font size.

Or to make the sign too small. The sign shown above for VA-236 is exactly the same size as the old sign, which was replaced solely (as far as I can determine) for the sake of using Clearview. I think if the signs had been made bigger, the font might not look so disproportionately large. But all the signs at that interchange look awful now, and on the northbound side there's one where they abbreviated "Turnpike" as "Trpk." Not sure what was going on there, although there are some street signs in Annandale that say "Trnpk," so maybe they just can't decide.

Virginia has some decent-looking Clearview signs on the Beltway as it's rebuilt, but I'm not sure who made the signs–VDOT or Fluor-TransUrban (the consortium building HOT lanes).

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alex

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on June 16, 2011, 02:37:24 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on June 16, 2011, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 15, 2011, 08:51:54 PM
Horrible clearview usage:
It looks like the original signs using Highway Gothic weren't any better...
http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=38.821471,-77.127864&spn=0.002014,0.003449&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.821567,-77.127735&panoid=ukLUvb0nzn4AOZ_57Q05mQ&cbp=12,226.82,,1,-7

Carbon copying for you...

Alabama has been doing that on it's Clearview installations. A few signs on I-565 westbound have been replaced here in Huntsville with Clearview, and they are exactly the same as the old signs, even one sign that still omits the diagonal exit arrow right before the gore point.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.