News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

yanksfan6129

Suddenly, Matt, you seem obsessed with clearview.

FLRoads

QuoteWhy would you want clearview at all...

Indeed.

Why would anyone want Clearview when Highway Gothic is just as good...why fix a wheel that is apparently NOT broken...

Clearview is too overrated in my opinon, especially after seeing tons of it in PA this weekend, and one sign along the NY Thruway...

Approaching Electronics Parkway in the western portion of Syracuse along the NY Thruway. Photo taken 09/27/09.

Give me Highway Gothic anyday...

cu2010

Wow...so they replaced a perfectly good old button copy sign with...that?

I've seen some jurisdictions use Clearview fairly well. NYSTA is not one of them...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Duke87

True enough, NYSTA's clearview signs do immediately jump out at you in a rather loud fashion, with the letters (at least appearing to be) so much bigger and all. Probably wouldn't be as bad if they were all that way, but when you mix and match, even on the same gantry...

*shudder*

They can't position the exit tabs consistently, either. :-/
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

To be fair, those Clearview Thruway signs do show up a bit more legible/clearly than the related Highway Gothic signs, which was the intention of Clearview (especially with older drivers...and there are far more of them on the roads these days).  Whether that's due to the font itself or going with a larger font size remains to be seen...

Alex

Quote from: Duke87 on September 29, 2009, 03:29:25 AM

They can't position the exit tabs consistently, either. :-/

That's the beauty of sign contractors simply "carbon copying" the old sign. Way to do a little bit of updating on the signs!

hbelkins

If you think Pennsylvania is bad for Clearview, go to Michigan. They are actively replacing perfectly good signs in the FHWA font with Clearview. There's a soon-to-begin project to replace signage on I-196 south of Grand Rapids, and a lot of signs in perfect condition have been tagged for replacement. Michigan apparently took the approval of Clearview as a mandate to change all signs to Clearview ASAP.

I'm getting used to seeing Clearview now, and it's not a great shock to see it in Kentucky anymore. Only place I've been surprised to see it recently was in West Virginia, where they are just now implementing it and some signage on I-64 has been replaced with new Clearview panels.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2009, 08:23:36 PM
that font is way too nice to be Clearview.

the real Clear is found here:

http://www.triskele.com/roadgeek-fonts

check Series 1B-6B and 1W-6W.  The B fonts are for dark text on a light background, and the W for the opposite.  The B fonts are a bit bolder to offset the effect of light colors being perceived to blur slightly outward.
The current version of the 1W-6W font has some serious spacing issues.  I would recommend downloading the True Type version of the font which is available through a link in the far-left column under "Other Fonts".  To see what I'm talking about, here are some examples of the Series 6WR font...

Open Type - Current Version

True Type - Older Version
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Michael

Matt, are you using Vista?  I don't have Gisha.

There's another Clearview sign for Electronics Parkway going eastbound:

Credit: deanej's Picasa albums

This was the first Clearview sign I saw in New York.  I really miss the old Series E Modified signs!

nerdly_dood

That's kinda similar to the Leelawadee font that comes with Vista...

SSOWorld

Merged the three Clearview topics - in the future please search for existing threads before making new ones on the subject.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Marc

Well, I have mixed emotions on Clearview.

While I do prefer the old Highway Gothic font, I will say that Clearview is quite a bit easier to read at greater distances, which is what they're trying to accomplish by switching. Having said that, I can live with Clearview just as long as it's done tastefully, and from the states I've seen, Texas is really the only state that has done so.

I really like the way Texas proportions the street name letter size to the milage letter size.

Although, like I said, I still prefer Highway Gothic.

BigMattFromTexas

I like both fonts but i like Clearview better. And one thing ive found out is Clearview looks HORRIBLE in an area with Highway Gothic signs and vice versa! thats what TxDOT did with signs all over Tom Green County :ded:
BigMatt

burgess87

I don't mind the Clearview letters so much - it's the numbers that bug me.

IF states are going to switch to Clearview, they need to keep the FHWA Series numbers (at least on the route markers).

US71

QuoteIF states are going to switch to Clearview, they need to keep the FHWA Series numbers (at least on the route markers).

Arkansas does, for the most part.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: burgess87 on October 01, 2009, 09:05:57 AM
I don't mind the Clearview letters so much - it's the numbers that bug me.

IF states are going to switch to Clearview, they need to keep the FHWA Series numbers (at least on the route markers).

Most states do, though a few didn't for a while (see Michigan, for instance).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jdb1234

Alabama has a bad habit of putting clearview signs in ALL CAPS.

Rover_0

Quote from: Michael on September 29, 2009, 01:42:59 PM
Matt, are you using Vista?  I don't have Gisha.

There's another Clearview sign for Electronics Parkway going eastbound:

Credit: deanej's Picasa albums

This was the first Clearview sign I saw in New York.  I really miss the old Series E Modified signs!

No sir, I don't like it.    :thumbdown:  :angry:

That's all I have to say about Clearview.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

UptownRoadGeek

I like it in Texas, nowhere but Texas.

Duke87

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 04, 2009, 11:34:41 AM
I wonder if there was some road signs tested with Comic Sans MS?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have an answer to this question, and the answer is yes:

The new questions is... who's responsible? CONNDOT, or the town of Greenwich? (this is on Route 1)

deathtopumpkins

And there are even still people blocking the intersection!  :-D
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Marc

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 13, 2009, 11:46:58 PM
They're blocking it because they are smart enough to not take a sign printed in Comic Sans seriously.

mightyace

Quote from: Marc on October 14, 2009, 12:02:53 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 13, 2009, 11:46:58 PM
They're blocking it because they are smart enough to not take a sign printed in Comic Sans seriously.

Yes, it looks like a sign that a child created.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

what does the hourglass mean?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 14, 2009, 07:38:18 PM
what does the hourglass mean?

That shape is painted on the pavement on the spot you're not supposed to block in each of the northbound lanes. You can see them the lower left of my photo. They're also visible on Google's satellite view and Bing's "birds eye" view (the sign is visible but not legible in street view).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.