News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

City

Quote from: Duke87 on October 13, 2009, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 04, 2009, 11:34:41 AM
I wonder if there was some road signs tested with Comic Sans MS?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have an answer to this question, and the answer is yes:

The new questions is... who's responsible? CONNDOT, or the town of Greenwich? (this is on Route 1)

100% town of Greenwich.

If ConnDOT posted that, then surely they have gone crazy.  :crazy:

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on October 14, 2009, 08:53:20 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 14, 2009, 07:38:18 PM
what does the hourglass mean?

That shape is painted on the pavement on the spot you're not supposed to block in each of the northbound lanes. You can see them the lower left of my photo. They're also visible on Google's satellite view and Bing's "birds eye" view (the sign is visible but not legible in street view).

There's something similar in Virginia Beach.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

don't forget the Idiot Sans font used on the "My ancestor blob works here, slow the fudge down" signs in construction zones.  Some new ones just cropped up on I-25 southbound just north of Raton Pass.  Blech. 

(Of course, there is no actual evidence of construction going on, but I see Colorado Highway Patrol vehicles in that stretch all the time ...)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Quote from: BigMatt on September 28, 2009, 07:32:50 PM
It's still strange how a phone company uses a highway font. But i guess those font weren't made just for BGS's and other highway signs.
A story I remember vaguely from a newsmagazine/newspaper type story I read on the net a long time ago, probably linked from MTR. One of the designers of Clearview (IIRC the article had an interview with him) left the word processor on his computer set to use Clearview as he was designing it. His son then used it to write a paper for school. It came back from the teacher with a remark to the effect of "Something about it just made it easy to read."
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Brandon

Found a bizarre sign last night on the westbound Reagan Tollway (I-88).  Wish I had had a camera.  :-(
It was an odd mutant with both Highway Gothic and Clearview.  The sign was just west of the ramp merging from the southbound Tri-State Tollway (I-294), and it read:

22nd Street
TO [83]
2 MILES

Now, the "22nd Street" was in highway gothic, as was the "TO" and the route shield.  However, the "2 MILES" was in clearly in Clearview!  I could tell by comparing the shapes of the 2s in "22nd" and "2 MILES".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

florida

Quote from: City on October 14, 2009, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 13, 2009, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 04, 2009, 11:34:41 AM
I wonder if there was some road signs tested with Comic Sans MS?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have an answer to this question, and the answer is yes:

The new questions is... who's responsible? CONNDOT, or the town of Greenwich? (this is on Route 1)

100% town of Greenwich.

If ConnDOT posted that, then surely they have gone crazy.  :crazy:

Where does one find an hourglass huge enough to block?
So many roads...so little time.

juscuz410

Ohio Clearview updates:
We've already covered I-77 from New Phila. on north. I-71, I-490 in Cleveland are now sporting CV in addition to the updated Gothic. In Newark, the rebuilt ramp of SR-13 are now sporting CV. I-270/SR-161 interchange in C-bus the "Exit 30" sign is in CV. I-70 East in Belmont County new CV signage went up all over the place. That's all I've got today.

jdb1234

Alabama Update:

Earlier Today, I found two overhead signs now sporting Clearview in Birmingham.  These signs were put up earlier this week.

Alex

I spotted the first freeway-grade Clearview sign on Interstate 10 west after Exit 10 on October 1:

Just two weekends ago, I found a second new assembly posted on Alabama 181 north at Interstate 10's Exit 38.

Also spotted a handful of Clearview signs along Interstate 75 in Ohio. Most of these were brown attractions signs, but there were a few brand new exit signs with the font as well...

jdb1234

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Here is one of the first overhead BGS in Birmingham to sport Clearview:

Alex

Quote from: jdb1234 on November 12, 2009, 10:34:42 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Here is one of the first overhead BGS in Birmingham to sport Clearview:

Ugh! Carbon copy (minus the arrow), replaced button copy, and removed overhead lighting fixtures. Triple whammy!

jdb1234

Quote from: AARoads on November 12, 2009, 10:38:50 PM

Ugh! Carbon copy (minus the arrow), replaced button copy, and removed overhead lighting fixtures. Triple whammy!

Don't worry, it gets even better Eastbound:

Riverside Frwy

Ok, the Interstate 96 shields using the Clearview font on first page made my eyes bleed. X-( :-D

Alex

There are also a few I-75 shields done in Clearview in the UP. Interstate 96 has several on the drive leading west from its beginning. Interstate 696 eastbound has at least two as well. All look bad...

Riverside Frwy

My eyes!!!!!

It should be illegal to have such ugly font. :ded:

agentsteel53

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 13, 2009, 07:11:05 PM
My eyes!!!!!

It should be illegal to have such ugly font. :ded:

and that is why we must preserve old signs ;)  rate of Clearview on old California porcelains: 0.00% and holding steady.

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: AARoads on November 13, 2009, 07:07:01 PM
There are also a few I-75 shields done in Clearview in the UP. Interstate 96 has several on the drive leading west from its beginning. Interstate 696 eastbound has at least two as well. All look bad...

I'm not a big fan of the new interstate shields with the oversized number ie: I-75 on the left.  It looks too big...almost border to border.  The Loop I-75 looks more proportionate but the clearview ruins it!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

agentsteel53

Quote from: doofy103 on November 13, 2009, 08:54:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of the new interstate shields with the oversized number ie: I-75 on the left.  It looks too big...almost border to border.  The Loop I-75 looks more proportionate but the clearview ruins it!

indeed, the large numbers look very silly, but they've been around for a while.  There's a porcelain green sign in Reno that has an I-80 shield like it, and that sign dates back to 1978.

jake@aaroads.com

Riverside Frwy

Who ever came up with this font should be hanged. X-(

I really don't see the point of it, it's not better than the standard font, it's actually worse.Obviously the transportation agencies must have all gone blind by the font's ugliness and have no idea what they are doing.

mightyace

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 13, 2009, 09:31:10 PM
Who ever came up with this font should be hanged. X-(

IIRC The person that developed Clearview is a professor at Penn State University in State College, PA.

Maybe the proximity to I-99 clouded his judgment!  :pan:  :rofl:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

wytout

Clearview is bad enough on BGS's.  But at least most of those BGS's still use the graceful FHWA Standard fonts for numbers on Route shields. This is horrible.  Those shields are FUgly.  I still say there is nothing more pleasing to the eyes than than the Type C and Type D number set in standard FHWA fonts.
-Chris

Alex

Clearview adorning this westbound main line reassurance shield in Detroit.

2di-width Clearview fonted eastbound main line shield for Interstate 696.

simguy228

... Clearview is kinda creepy to me. Would'nt think they would use it on many highways :-P :)

Is that in FL? If so what part of FL
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

agentsteel53

no, it's in Michigan.  Sault Ste Marie

jake@aaroads.com

simguy228

Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.