News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

jdb1234

One more clearview sign:

On an interesting note the previous sign here only mentioned Highland Ave and not Arlington Ave.

joseph1723

Here's one of the latest Toronto clearview sign in my area:

Which replaced this one with a cut off portion during mid-late 2009:

In my opinion I like the spacing on the older sign better.
(picture from google streetview)

LeftyJR

I was out last night in an area where both Cleaview and FHWA fonts are signed (Central PA) while it was snowing, I've determined that Clearview is easier to read in the dark and/or in bad weather.  It pains me to say it, but Clearview is growing on me.

The e and t (e's look like o's and t's look like other tall letters) are much easier to read imo.

mightyace

I <GASP> spotted the first Clearview signs in Tennessee.

Actually realized is the correct word in that I've passed these signs dozens of times without realizing it.  (Denial I guess.  :-D)

They are at one, possibly two intersections in Franklin, TN traffic lights for the street names.  (BTW The street signs in Franklin have multiple fonts depending on where they are.)

Since this appears to be a city installation, the BGSs maintained by TDOT are safe for now.

I'll get and post a picture as soon as I can.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

codyg1985

^ I think the street name sign for McEwen Drive off of I-65 sports Clearview.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jdb1234

Here is the blue clearview service sign along Corridor X mentioned earlier.

mightyace

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 13, 2010, 11:00:50 PM
^ I think the street name sign for McEwen Drive off of I-65 sports Clearview.

I'll take a closer look the next time I'm by that way.  (might even be an hour or so from now)  The signs on McEwen Drive itself are also maintained by the city of Franklin.

There's also a few unisigns there and downtown I need to grab images of.

EDIT:
I didn't have time to stop today, but I did give it a look see as I went by and I think you may be right.  However, the size of the letters for the street name relative to the sign size is smaller than the one at Hillsboro Rd. and DelRio Pike.

Michael

NYSDOT posted Clearview signs for Half Acre Road just west of Auburn in an intersection reconstruction this past fall.  :ded:  I hope it's an isolated incident.

vdeane

Is it at least better looking than the ones on the Thruway?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Android

Here's another Wyoming before/after Clearview animation I just made up.  Not the same exact same sign, but the same business loop (one has been replaced, the other has not)  This one doesn't bother me very much, but I do wish the 135 was in FHWA numerals and not Clearview. 

-Andy

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

shoptb1

Quote from: Android on January 15, 2010, 06:47:40 PM
Here's another Wyoming before/after Clearview animation I just made up.  Not the same exact same sign, but the same business loop (one has been replaced, the other has not)  This one doesn't bother me very much, but I do wish the 135 was in FHWA numerals and not Clearview. 

-Andy

I still like the Clearview text best although I would agree that I'm not crazy about the numerals.  Especially the 135. 

mightyace

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 15, 2010, 09:33:16 PM
I still like the Clearview text best although I would agree that I'm not crazy about the numerals.  Especially the 135. 

The Clearview 135 is the only part of that sign that I like better.

Android

lol, well to each their own, but having a white FHWA shield in that Loop I-25 and a Clearview exit number 135 just clash for me.  And I definatetly do NOT want to see shields in Clearview!    ;-)

vdeane

For some reason I don't mind the Clearview numerals, though I agree they shouldn't be on shields.  But why the exit number change on that sign?

Also, could you possibly put them side-by-side instead of using an animated GIF?  My brain prefers more than half a second to compare differences.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Android

I said it previously, it's not actually the same sign - it's the same business loop, different signs.   They replaced the northbound sign a few years ago (one of the first CV signs I'd seen in WY) but not the southbound one.  I was playing around with a new camera the other day and got a nice clear shot of the NB one, so I decided to go out and get a pic of the SB one yesterday to see how it compared.  It was so similar that making that animated gif out of it was easy.  It was only because they were so similar that I animated it.  I try to save bandwidth all the time and I could have posted those individually with half the file size.

Actually, I was also thinking earlier that half second lag was too short, and was going to change it to longer.  (Which I just did, to 1.5 seconds - however it may not load that way if your computer or server caches images.)  

Riverside Frwy

The numbers definitely look better when they are not on the shields.Still love the Clearview letters though.

Android

Okay, here's another photo, but no animation this time!

Last year, I posted the following to the misc.transport.road newsgroup, if it looks familiar to you.   

=========================

That brings me to this topic.....  When an Exit/gore sign at milepost
25, on NB WY I-25 got ran over a few months ago, I figured I'd
be seeing a fugly Clearview replacement.  It took a while, during
which there was just an orange cone standing in for it, but a couple
of days ago I finally saw the new sign.  Sure enough.... Clearview,
yech.

Anyway, that particular gore sign location is signficant to me because I
happened to get some photos of it a few years ago, when it was still a
1992-vintage sign that was much larger than it needed to be .  Then,
that got replaced in 2006 ago with a more appropriate/typical sign.  And now
in 2009, it's an ugly Clearview one.   *sigh*

(and please, leave Al Gore out of this)

so..... Once Upon A Time there were Three Gores (signs), One was a Big
Gore, one was an Little Gore  and one was and Ugly Gore.....  Here's
photos of all three:

Michael

^^ I like the first one the best.

Alex

I noted the use of Clearview on a blue services sign along Interstate 10 westbound in Tallahassee yesterday. This is the first instance of Clearview outside the OOCEA or a local municipality (There are some internally lit street signs in Pensacola that use Clearview now as well) that I have observed.

wandering drive

As one might expect, the Illinois Tollway north of Rockford uses Clearview for the signs it replaced.  One thing I didn't notice until today was the US-51 shield... in Clearview.  I don't have a picture, but it looks like whoever made the sign made sure that the "hat" on the 1 was extra long.  Not a pleasant thing to see while dodging semis and Illinois drivers.

Brandon

Quote from: wandering drive on January 20, 2010, 04:08:29 PM
As one might expect, the Illinois Tollway north of Rockford uses Clearview for the signs it replaced.  One thing I didn't notice until today was the US-51 shield... in Clearview.  I don't have a picture, but it looks like whoever made the sign made sure that the "hat" on the 1 was extra long.  Not a pleasant thing to see while dodging semis and Illinois drivers.

Somebody in the Naperville sign shop screwed up.  I've noticed they like to go for a bit of experimentation every now and then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Really? All of the US-51 shields from Rockford I have show FHWA numerals.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wandering drive

The shield I saw was a reassurance shield heading NB just north of State St.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stojko

I actually like Clearview... it looks more fresh to me. Newfoundland's replaced some signs with it, I've noticed a few of the exit signs on Pitts Memorial Drive (Route 2) in St. John's have been converted but other than that most of the new signs I've saw are just replacing signs that were very, very, very old and damaged (quite a few of those in this province, unfortunately).

I don't like the mix of the old style and Clearview though, on some highways one sign is Clearview, the next isn't and sometimes two signs are together with one Clearview and one not... that looks horrible, all or nothing for me. ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.