News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

KEK Inc.

I actually like Clearview.  It looks sleek and more modern; however, the numerals aren't the greatest, and they look horrible in their respected shields.

[Removed excess formatting. -S.]
Take the road less traveled.

burgess87

Way to go, NYSTA . . . . that sign is horrendous, and I can't believe I live within an hour of it.

If you're gonna do Clearview, take a look at Texas.  They do it right.

shoptb1

For those of you that are missing Button Copy, there's plenty still left in Ohio.  I would say that there's more Button Copy than other types (retroreflective, Clearview).  Some interstate routes have Clearview, but most have previous types.  Button Copy is pretty much the only type that is found on non-interstate freeways, such as US- and Ohio-routes. 

agentsteel53

any photos of US or state route shields with buttons on the shields?  There is apparently a US-40 in Columbus somewhere but each time I remember to look for it, I'm in another state.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

shoptb1

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 27, 2010, 07:20:26 PM
any photos of US or state route shields with buttons on the shields?  There is apparently a US-40 in Columbus somewhere but each time I remember to look for it, I'm in another state.

I've never seen any state route shields here with buttons, but I have seen a US-40 shield.  I believe that its on the Broad Street exit off I-670 East.  I'll check next time I'm over there...

agentsteel53

Quote from: shoptb1 on March 27, 2010, 08:05:47 PM

I've never seen any state route shields here with buttons, but I have seen a US-40 shield.  I believe that its on the Broad Street exit off I-670 East.  I'll check next time I'm over there...

that sounds familiar.  Any chance you can grab a picture for us?  From what I've heard, it's a nasty interchange.

and as for the state routes - maybe they just didn't want to make button-copy outlines of the Ohio state shape?  The only state outline I recall offhand being done in buttons is Florida. 

jake@aaroads.com

joseph1723

These two were installed a few year ago but I think they really made the signs look bad by using this huge lettering size. I don't mind the Clearview as much by could they size the signs better?

mightyace

^^^

I agree.  The text is too big for the sign.

IMHO It looks like Clearview has to be "just the right size" for it to look as good as it can.  i.e. There is less room for error than with the traditional fonts.

And, if I am correct in that assessment, it is probably one of the reasons that I don't like Clearview.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

J N Winkler

It looks like these signs use Clearview 6-W instead of 5-W (which is recommended for freeway guide signs).  It is a bit like using mixed-case Series F instead of Series E Modified.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

shoptb1

Quote from: joseph1723 on March 30, 2010, 12:10:16 AM
These two were installed a few year ago but I think they really made the signs look bad by using this huge lettering size. I don't mind the Clearview as much by could they size the signs better?

I like the Clearview font, but the sizing is AWFUL on these....EECK! 

Ian

Quote from: joseph1723 on March 30, 2010, 12:10:16 AM

I always thought Ontario signs looked a little European, but those look very European.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

burgess87

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 30, 2010, 04:07:26 AM
It looks like these signs use Clearview 6-W instead of 5-W (which is recommended for freeway guide signs).  It is a bit like using mixed-case Series F instead of Series E Modified.

I use 5WR on my signs for SimCity, and it seems to come out really nicely.

KEK Inc.

I saw some Clearview in some city signs in Monterey, CA.  On Del Monte Bl. and Fisherman's Wharf, they added a new traffic light with new signs.  Monterey used to have brown signs with a more old fashioned font, that actually was pretty thematic.

Also, there were a couple of green temporary constructions signs (Ah, California never fails to impress me.  :P)  along California State Route 1 that used clearview.  One of the signs was on SB SR-1 just a stone's throw from Castroville in the western terminus of SR-156, and the other one was on NB SR-1 after Carpenter St. north of Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA.
Take the road less traveled.

shoptb1

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 27, 2010, 08:45:41 PM
Quote from: shoptb1 on March 27, 2010, 08:05:47 PM

that sounds familiar.  Any chance you can grab a picture for us?  From what I've heard, it's a nasty interchange.

Here's the US-40 exit sign assembly (which is after I-71 and US-40 exit from I-670 East).  You can see the old button-copy outline on the US-40 shield.  The buttons haven't been replaced in a long time, so at night it's only the overhead sign lighting that illuminates the US-40 shield.  This whole interchange is scheduled to be redesigned as part of the first phase of the I-70/I-71 (Split) rework project, so I'm sure that this panel will be sent off to the scrap heap after that happens.

shoptb1

The replacement of the button-copy signs on I-71 between Grove City, OH and Jeffersonville, OH is now complete.  I have to say, the use of Clearview in Ohio is top-notch...no ugly Clearview numerals in the shields, thank goodness. Also, all of the mileage signs have the shields instead of spelling out the route name.  Here's a before and after shot of the mileage signage just past the Harrisburg, OH exit heading south on I-71.  It seems that ODOT also decided that the mileage to I-275 needed to be modified :)

Before (Button-Copy)

After (Clearview)

agentsteel53

thanks for the photo!  Can you email me the original high-resolution one?  shields@aaroads.com

that looks similar to some assemblies found in the city of Baltimore, for US-40 and US-1.  No buttons on the number, and very small buttons on the outline. 

jake@aaroads.com

shoptb1

Also, not sure if these signs will be replaced as part of the same project, but these BGS' at the intersection of I-270 (Exit 55) and I-71 on the south side of Columbus (near Grove City) are the oldest on the Columbus freeway system. (and the worst-maintained).  As you can see, the I-270 shield is pretty much faded beyond recognition.  Interestingly, you can still see the blanks on the I-270 reassurance BGS where Indianapolis was replaced by Dayton as the control city many years ago.  I'll post the replacement signs if these are part of the project...new ones seem to be popping up daily.

agentsteel53

that very first 71 is the original 1957 spec for green signs, with the small number.  The shields on guide signs were not supposed to have the state name, from the very beginning.

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: shoptb1 on April 03, 2010, 11:07:45 AM
Here's a before and after shot of the mileage signage just past the Harrisburg, OH exit heading south on I-71.  It seems that ODOT also decided that the mileage to I-275 needed to be modified :)

Before (Button-Copy)

I'll miss that old sign. <sniff>  :-(

Hellfighter

Hey, looks like MDOT putting up Clearview on I-275 from I-696 to I-94.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: mightyace on April 06, 2010, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: shoptb1 on April 03, 2010, 11:07:45 AM
Here's a before and after shot of the mileage signage just past the Harrisburg, OH exit heading south on I-71.  It seems that ODOT also decided that the mileage to I-275 needed to be modified :)

Before (Button-Copy)

I'll miss that old sign. <sniff>  :-(

I don't know that I'll miss that specific sign as opposed to the new one... but I'm definitely gonna miss seeing either one the annual trip to Louisville for Lebowskifest this year (due to vacation/friends wedding).

That sign was always a bit of a glimmer of hope on one of (In my opinion) the most boring sections of highway I've ever been on.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

shoptb1

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 07, 2010, 09:15:34 AM

That sign was always a bit of a glimmer of hope on one of (In my opinion) the most boring sections of highway I've ever been on.

Not only is the sign still there in the same exact place....I think that the I-275 shield looks much better than the letters spelling out I-275.

mightyace

On the trip back to Nashville, it's the first sign that Nashville within our reach as it is around 135 miles from the south side of Louisville.

Quote from: shoptb1 on April 07, 2010, 11:43:42 AM
Not only is the sign still there in the same exact place....I think that the I-275 shield looks much better than the letters spelling out I-275.

While I generally like the shields instead of spelled out, for some reason I liked the letters.  Oh well, I guess it's "progress."  :pan:

hbelkins

Anyone who gets a glimmer of hope from seeing a mileage sign for Louisville is a sick puppy -- unless you're seeing it in reverse in your rear view mirror as you're driving away from Kentucky's biggest cesspool.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: burgess87 on March 26, 2010, 11:20:35 AM
Way to go, NYSTA . . . . that sign is horrendous, and I can't believe I live within an hour of it.

If you're gonna do Clearview, take a look at Texas.  They do it right.

I strongly disagree.  The Clearview in Oklahoma is far less unattractive than the Texas Clearview.  They're both ugly but the Texas signs are really ugly.

Here's some proof that Texas Clearview signs are ugly:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.